Magnate

Ididitmyway has no updates.

My Mood: There is no appropriate title for this one

5 yr Member
128 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!
Default There is no appropriate title for this one

I know that technically this topic doesn't fit into a psychotherapy forum, but for me it does.

12 people were killed last night not far from where I live. It has been in the national news today. I keep thinking that it could've easily been me and my husband, as we visit that area a lot.

No one gives a ****. Yes, they reported it..and that's it. There is no national conversations about the root causes of our collective violence and about how to address it. No support services for victim's families, no communal collective support of all those affected, no collective will to deal with this. No one gives a ****. They reported it the same way they report any local event. Then they got back to streaming their ****ing Trump reality show. Mass shooting in this country happen almost on a weekly basis, so it's "no big deal" now, it's a new normal. Human life no longer has value. I could go on.. but what's the point..

Psychotherapy will never help anyone in a profound way until we collectively restore our basic humanity. Until then, the mental health system, like every other societal institution, will be just a compliant servant of the big operating machine ruled by the $$$, whose only purpose is to keep the status quo.

I know that there is no point of posting this, but I can't keep it inside either, so I don't care..

If you try to understand what you are without trying to change it, then what you are starts to undergo a transformation.

Jiddu Krishnamurti

"Ego is the illusion that you are doing something" - Guruka Singh
Ididitmyway is offline   Reply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:

advertisement
Old 11-08-2018, 07:26 PM   #2
nottrustin
Grand Magnate

nottrustin has no updates.

5 yr Member
146 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!
Default Re: There is no appropriate title for this one

How scary to love in the area. You are right it is dad that as a country we have become so desensitized to mass killings. It seems like it never ends. Until we as a country we decide to to really start valuing all human life, I dont see it getting any better.

nottrustin is offline   Reply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Old 11-08-2018, 07:26 PM   #3
Out There
Legendary

Out There Watching the Snow Leopards

3 yr Member
13k hugs
given
PC PoohBah!

There is a point in posting , I'm sorry how this affects you and others , my T says people who are compassionate and care about the world will struggle with how things are. Gentle , safe hugs if wanted.
Old 11-08-2018, 07:42 PM   #4
growlycat
Therapy Ninja

growlycat has no updates.

10 yr Member
16.1k hugs
given
PC PoohBah!

Itís pretty horrific. Iím so sorry this hits so close to home. The talk about what to do about violence in complicated and hard to solve so it seems like either it turns into a political debate or gets dropped because no one knows what to do. Not a great answer but I care.
growlycat is offline   Reply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Old 11-08-2018, 07:53 PM   #5
Salmon77
Grand Member
Salmon77 has no updates.

3 yr Member
54 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!

It is an infuriating state of things and I don't understand it, either, how as a country we seem to just accept it. I don't know what the answers are but I hope we at least try something in the near future.
Salmon77 is offline   Reply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Old 11-08-2018, 08:14 PM   #6
Ididitmyway
Magnate

5 yr Member
128 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!

Thank you everyone.

In addition to this, a fire broke out in a nearby town. We've got a robocall saying that a mandatory evacuation is possible if they don't get a handle on it soon. We have a very high speed wind today so the fire is spreading fast. It could come close within 3 hours we were told if they don't take care of it fast.

We packed a bag just in case with some basic necessities, documents and staff..and are waiting for the update. I really don't want to leave the home at this hour (it's getting late already) and look for a hotel that accepts pets (we have two kitties)..I hope it won't be necessary..

If you try to understand what you are without trying to change it, then what you are starts to undergo a transformation.

Jiddu Krishnamurti

Old 11-08-2018, 08:38 PM   #7
nottrustin
Grand Magnate

nottrustin has no updates.

5 yr Member
146 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!

Idimw, please be safe.

nottrustin is offline   Reply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Old 11-08-2018, 08:38 PM   #8
here today
Magnate
here today has no updates.

5 yr Member
964 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ididitmyway View Post
. . .
Psychotherapy will never help anyone in a profound way until we collectively restore our basic humanity. . .
Well said.

I'm glad you had this forum to share your feelings in and post your views. It's a virtual, digital community, true. It is a community with a specific purpose -- support -- and community guidelines and moderators that sometimes rankle but which, overall IMO, serve and accomplish that purpose. Not perfectly but "well enough".

Maybe, in this crazy world, people will find ways and motivation to do more things like this. I can hope so, though sometimes it certainly seems very bleak.
here today is offline   Reply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Old 11-08-2018, 08:45 PM   #9
Ididitmyway
Magnate

5 yr Member
128 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!

Thank you HT and others.

It's not looking good. It doesn't look like they are able to manage it well, so it feels like we will have to leave the house within a couple of hours.

We will be safe, thank you. It is just a hassle. We already had this situation once. We evacuated and stayed at our friends' place for a day and watched local news updates just to know if our home was still there. When we came back the next day, the home was there, but the hill across the street was all burnt, that's how close the fire came. We will be fine.

Jiddu Krishnamurti

Hugs from:
Old 11-08-2018, 11:56 PM   #10
ArtleyWilkins
Veteran Member
ArtleyWilkins has no updates.

1 hugs
given

I can relate to your post. A few weeks ago, a man was mailing bombs. My son is a postal carrier who delivers to a particular congressman and got swept up into the investigation with the FBI as they were told what to look for (and a great many more details than were not reported publicly) and were even investigated themselves as a precautionary measure.

That same week, I walked into my school in the morning and was immediately greeted by police pounding on the door to get in. A gun had been reported on campus and we were put into lockdown for over an hour as the whole time I was watching through the blinds of my darkened classroom as the SWAT team ran into the building in full riot gear and rifles drawn. The next evening a loud noise spooked our students at a dance - they thought it was gunfire - and they panicked and started running away, stampeding over others who had fallen. Then the synagogue . . . It has all shaken many of us. I feel like I donít recognize my country at times.

Last edited by ArtleyWilkins; 11-09-2018 at 12:19 AM..
ArtleyWilkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Hugs from: