DocJohn is feeling better...

My Mood: REMINDER: You CAN'T Just Post Headlines and URLs Here

10 yr Member
134 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!
Arrow REMINDER: You CAN'T Just Post Headlines and URLs Here

Hi folks,

I know some people want everyone to keep up-to-date with the latest news headlines and such, but that's NOT what this forum is for. That's what news websites like CNN and MSNBC are for.

What this is for is to engage in actual discussion of news headlines you find online that are -- hopefully -- primarily related to mental health or psychology in some way (you know, the purpose of our website!).

In order to do that, you have to follow the guidelines, which state that you cannot just post a link with a brief description of the link as a new thread or post. That's simply not allowed, and I see a lot of members who may not realize that and are doing that.

In other words, you can't just post a link here and say, "Oh, I think this is interesting," or "I thought this was worth a read." You need to be responsible for kicking off the thoughtful discussion on what it is you're posting. What makes this interesting to you? What are your personal thoughts on the matter? Why do you think others in a mental health community might find it interesting?

If you want to discuss a news article found elsewhere, you need to start the discussion with an actual opinion, analysis or thoughts about the news item. You can of course link to the article and even include its own summary, but you MUST include your own thoughts or what-not about what you're posting.

We will do a better job in moderating those posts that don't abide by the guidelines from now on.

Thanks,
DocJohn

Last edited by DocJohn; 12-29-2016 at 09:35 AM..
DocJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Hugs from:

advertisement
Old 06-30-2011, 07:17 AM   #2
DocJohn
Your Host
Chat Leader

DocJohn is feeling better...

My Mood: REMINDER: You CAN'T Just Post Headlines and URLs Here

10 yr Member
134 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!
Default Re: REMINDER: You CAN'T Just Post Headlines and URLs Here

bump...........
Old 06-30-2011, 09:01 AM   #3
pachyderm
Legendary

pachyderm without status for sure.

10 yr Member
2,613 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocJohn View Post
If you want to discuss a news article found elsewhere, you need to start the discussion with an actual opinion, analysis or thoughts about the news item. You can of course link to the article and even include its own summary, but you MUST include your own thoughts or what-not about what you're posting.
I prefer to let my summary, using words from the article itself, characterize a story -- and to keep my ideas about it to a minimum so that others have a chance to express their ideas largely uninfluenced by what I say, at least initially. It is a style of approach to other people that you might not like, but it is mine. Is it not a reasonable approach?
Thou might'st him yet recover
-- Michael Drayton 1562 - 1631

Last edited by pachyderm; 06-30-2011 at 09:26 AM..
pachyderm is offline   Reply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Old 06-30-2011, 10:58 AM   #4
Perna
Pandita-in-training

Perna has no updates.

10 yr Member
560 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pachyderm View Post
so that others have a chance to express their ideas largely uninfluenced by what I say
Pachyderm, presumably you create a post because it is "important" to you; something you wish to discuss with others. I want to engage with you, not with a third party (a headline/url/article from someone/someplace else) and if you just give me a quote from someone else, without you and your interest in that post, I can't do that.

Too, if you look at what I selected of yours above, it seems a little bit "arrogant" or condescending? Okay, a lot implying that my expressing my ideas is secondary to what you say and how I feel about you and yours?
Old 06-30-2011, 12:17 PM   #5
pachyderm
Legendary

10 yr Member
2,613 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perna View Post
Pachyderm, presumably you create a post because it is "important" to you; something you wish to discuss with others. I want to engage with you, not with a third party (a headline/url/article from someone/someplace else) and if you just give me a quote from someone else, without you and your interest in that post, I can't do that.

Too, if you look at what I selected of yours above, it seems a little bit "arrogant" or condescending? Okay, a lot implying that my expressing my ideas is secondary to what you say and how I feel about you and yours?
Huh?

You are right that I post on things that are significant to me -- but I would like NOT to influence how other people react to it (other than what they can get from the fact that I chose that article). I figure I will learn more in hearing what other people think than in hearing how they react to how they think I feel.
"Thanks for this!" says:
Old 06-30-2011, 12:35 PM   #6
Perna
Pandita-in-training

Perna has no updates.

10 yr Member
560 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!

Pachy, "than in hearing how they react to how they think I feel" ~ if you are discussing an article, I'm going to tell you how I feel about that article, not worry about how you feel about the article. I'm quite fond of you but you don't have quite that hold on me, that my opinion is going to be based on yours! My opinion is mine!

I think I do see where you are coming from though, and suggest you at least "talk" to the other potential posters and tell them outright that you would enjoy hearing their points of view about X post rather than just posting X post. You have to put "you" in there somewhere, you don't get to hide behind the third person/article as if it is a given that you are there, "I post, ergo 'I' am here." But I think it tends to look to others (to me) as if you are potentially waiting to spring out at them, let them know what is wrong with their argument or how you agree/disagree with what they say rather than commit yourself first and "open" yourself to the other, trusting the other to engage with you in a positive manner. Just saying "why" you posted an article, a brief, "I like this idea" or "Does this seem strange to anyone else" or. . . "strike anyone else as funny?" and thus provide a little context for the other person is enough. You are asking the other person do that before you engage, why not just engage fully in the first place since you are posting the article in the first place?
Old 06-30-2011, 12:45 PM   #7
pachyderm
Legendary

10 yr Member
2,613 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perna View Post
Pachy, "than in hearing how they react to how they think I feel" ~ if you are discussing an article, I'm going to tell you how I feel about that article, not worry about how you feel about the article. I'm quite fond of you but you don't have quite that hold on me, that my opinion is going to be based on yours! My opinion is mine!
Perna, you have a strong ego!

Quote:
I think I do see where you are coming from though, and suggest you at least "talk" to the other potential posters and tell them outright that you would enjoy hearing their points of view about X post rather than just posting X post. You have to put "you" in there somewhere, you don't get to hide behind the third person/article as if it is a given that you are there, "I post, ergo 'I' am here."
Aw. You won't let me be me?

Quote:
But I think it tends to look to others (to me) as if you are potentially waiting to spring out at them
Well, that is your expectation, Perna! Not necessarily what I am going to do!

Quote:
Just saying "why" you posted an article, a brief, "I like this idea" or "Does this seem strange to anyone else" or. . . "strike anyone else as funny?" and thus provide a little context for the other person is enough. You are asking the other person do that before you engage, why not just engage fully in the first place since you are posting the article in the first place?
You don't like the minimalist style? Don't like that kind of "therapy" approach? I like information, not unduly influenced by me. And I do sometimes indicate my tentative orientation by the smilies I use along with the subject title... ()
Old 06-30-2011, 01:01 PM   #8
scarlet11

scarlet11 has no updates.

5 yr Member

cute you two
Old 06-30-2011, 01:12 PM   #9
pachyderm
Legendary

10 yr Member
2,613 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!

Perna is cute. I assume.

I don't think she would call me that.
Old 06-30-2011, 03:19 PM   #10
arcangel
Account Suspended
arcangel has no updates.

5 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pachyderm View Post
Huh?

You are right that I post on things that are significant to me -- but I would like NOT to influence how other people react to it (other than what they can get from the fact that I chose that article). I figure I will learn more in hearing what other people think than in hearing how they react to how they think I feel.
I think I understand and agree with your view. You want folks to discuss the story rather than your views on the story?
Maybe you could just post a few neutral thoughts on the story just to (appear to) stay within the rules
arcangel is offline   Reply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says: