From McSweeneys.net

ALLEN GINSBERG’S “HOWL”
(FOR SEAN SPICER) by KEVIN HADSELL

Sean Spicer! I am with you in Washington
Where you seem very angry with members of the press

I am with you in Washington
where you must feel very strange

Where even the tall bushes of the White House press office cannot conceal you from the flashbulbs of journalists

where you speak to us through our televisions, providing facts and alternative facts

Where you were once beloved by children and President Bush as the White House Easter Bunny, harbinger of springtime and

Where your boss has flown away to Mar-a-Lago for the weekend for endless rounds of golf, leaving you again to stand at your lonely podium in D.C. to field questions about Russia and wiretapping and the President’s tweets, about why he refuses to release his golf scores to the public

Where I, too, struggle with my symbolic space, adrift on an existential quest of my own imagining, since the Inauguration when a cold January wind blew across the land speaking of tombstones and American carnage

Where your American flag pin has been turned upside-down by parties unknown, and nobody can explain how or why, or if you are trying to tell us something important, something vital about the state of the Republic

Where traffic scoots away forever into the beltways of the city, rushing like a river into the night, to gerrymandered districts neither of us have ever been to or even wish to go

where your inner child may peer out occasionally through the dusty windows of the soul, despite all that has happened and continues to happen across the nation

Where you are a restless spirit haunting the television cameras of the nation, everywhere and nowhere at once, beaming down into our homes across the lonely and desolate highways holding the nation together, across these United States

Where you seek the boughs of the shrubberies outside your office, that you may disappear among the greenery and landscaping of the world, absorbed into the grass and the American soil like Walt Whitman intended, to finally be one with its land and people
cielpur is offline   Reply With Quote

advertisement
Unread 05-17-2017, 05:52 PM   #2
Veteran Member

neodoering is trying to accentuate the positive

My Mood:

6 hugs
given
Default Re: This is funny

This piece is just long enough to keep my attention for a few minutes, without being too long and thus dull. I like the form of it, both in the repetitions and the paragraphs that carry and build on the situation that you present.

It's pretty good, and I'd encourage you to try some more.
neodoering is offline   Reply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Unread 05-19-2017, 10:23 PM   #3

cielpur A day without sunshine, is like, you know...night.- Steve Martin

3 yr Member
110 hugs
given

neo, I've been to San Fran, met Ferlighetti (Coney Island of the Mind woo!!), sat in The Poet's Chair (maybe I wasn't supposed to...), also met Gary Snyder, and met Gregory Corso before he died. I've been Beatnik so long, it's become second nature to me. I.love.poetry.so.much. So much. Even the women of the Beat Generation.

I <3 Poetry...

If I could afford to move to San Jose or somewhere in the Bay I would. Even San Diego. But...alas. I'm not rich and not in the Tech Industry. You're lucky to live in San Diego. Are you into the Beats at all?
Unread 05-20-2017, 02:05 PM   #4
Veteran Member

neodoering is trying to accentuate the positive

My Mood:

6 hugs
given

Quote:
Originally Posted by cielpur View Post
neo, I've been to San Fran, met Ferlighetti (Coney Island of the Mind woo!!), sat in The Poet's Chair (maybe I wasn't supposed to...), also met Gary Snyder, and met Gregory Corso before he died. I've been Beatnik so long, it's become second nature to me. I.love.poetry.so.much. So much. Even the women of the Beat Generation.

I <3 Poetry...

If I could afford to move to San Jose or somewhere in the Bay I would. Even San Diego. But...alas. I'm not rich and not in the Tech Industry. You're lucky to live in San Diego. Are you into the Beats at all?
No, cielpur;
I'm not into the beat poets. If I run into their work I'll take a look, but most of what I'm into is Japanese forms (haiku, tanka) or the Maya Indians and their creative writing (couplets, prophecies, spoken word performance art [not like that of modern Americans; we might call this form 'plays/theater']. I wrote a 250 page epic poem once, but now when I look at it, all I see are errors ;(
All hail poetry!
neodoering is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-20-2017, 08:36 PM   #5

cielpur A day without sunshine, is like, you know...night.- Steve Martin

3 yr Member
110 hugs
given

Ever read any Chinese poetry? My two favorites are Li Bai and Du Fu. That's so cool that you wrote a 250 page epic poem. What was the subject matter of your poem about? Yes, Japanese poetry forms are beautiful. I have never heard of Maya Indian poetry before. Yes, all hail poetry. I read it all the time. I also love spoken word poetry too.