Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
8 yr Member
4 hugs
given
Default Re: Welcome to Coping with Emotions

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxamus View Post
I'm having a very hard time accepting the emotions I am feeling about my youngest child.Someone please help me.
Keep in mind the fundamental idea of 'awfulizing' that is the used in 'rational emotive psychology and therapy'. It's about when you exaggerate your condition. You say it's terrible, awful, and I can't stand it. And that's irrational. What is rational is that your condition is quite unpleasant and inconvenient but not something you can't stand. Don't we all have sometimes very unpleasant experiences in life? You're no different. It will pass. Until then do what you can to lessen it's effect. Don't sacrifice your own life for one that is beyond your control.

When you start feeling upset stop and say to yourself 'don't exaggerate and awfulize this thing.' Yes it's bad but the only way it can damage my life is when I believe things that are untrue because they are exaggerated. Lot's of books on Rational Emotive Thinking. 'Guide to Rational Living' Albert Ellis or Feeling Good by Burns.
kreg is offline   Reply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:

advertisement
Old 06-17-2018, 06:32 AM   #132
lovelytony22
lovelytony22 has no updates.

Emotions are very dangerous when there are negative. How can you even turn negative emotions into positive emotions?. Science asserts that the mind is bias.It remembers awful things often than good situations. It is up to you to train your mind to focus on pleasant things. You can pretend all the negative things do not exist.Do something you love so much to overcome ant bad emotion.
lovelytony22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2018, 11:04 AM   #133
kreg
kreg has no updates.

My Mood: Welcome to Coping with Emotions

8 yr Member
4 hugs
given

IMO emotions are nothing complicated but just a sense of if something is good for me or bad for me-an appraisal, the welfare factor. I'm invited to a cocktail party. Awesome, great fun but wait Gladys will be there and I hate her." Two emotions playing out.

When I feel an unpleasant emotion I might do nothing or I might ask if this is something I need to confront and try to grow from or I might want to look at my own thinking for unrealistic irrational stuff. Things like exaggeration of the importance or telling myself this thing shouldn't be. Then I answer that unpleasant things and people do exist so do what you can with it and move on.

I know some people seem to think emotion is some big mystery as if they don't see the cause as if emotions just pop up from nowhere. That's their opinion also.
kreg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2018, 12:26 PM   #134
Janelaine
Janelaine has no updates.

I am new to the forum. In August 2017 I was diagnosed with a life-threatening fungus infection in my hip which required two surgeries, the last one in April, 2018. Recovery is progressing although I have to rely on a walker to get around. I have so many feelings of grief, sadness, feeling trapped and stuck and anxiety that are overwhelming at times. I am almost always in pain but cannot take pain meds other than Tylenol. I have support from my family but get very lonely and would like to get support from anyone who might have experienced a similar situation. Before this illness I led an active life that I miss very much. I feel sad when I see people walking around as I have lost the gift of mobility. I do hope to regain it eventually though.
Janelaine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2018, 12:09 PM   #135
beanie baby

beanie baby has no updates.

37 hugs
given

If I am overwhelmed by my emotions I journal. It gets them out and identified. This helps vent them.
beanie baby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2019, 03:39 PM   #136
Stage56
Stage56 has no updates.

I also have issues putting a name to my emotions. When you have been programmed all your life to "being seen not heard", it is a very difficult thing to embrace
Stage56 is offline   Reply With Quote