Welcome to Coping with Emotions - Page 5 - Forums at Psych Central

Old 10-21-2011, 11:51 PM #41

lstgrl has no updates.

5 yr Member
Default Re: Welcome to Coping with Emotions

It is hard to know what you are feeling or what to name the feelings if you were never allowed to "feel". I would have to say that there is such a war inside of feelings that I don't know what to call them.
lstgrl is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 10-22-2011, 03:27 PM #42

wayneb has no updates.

5 yr Member
Tongue Re: Welcome to Coping with Emotions

Sometimes I feel like I'm the world's most emotional man. But I guess some of this is part of being bipolar. Or, actually, in my case a lot of it is about being bipolar.

I cry easily, but not unnecessarily. In other words, when I cry, there's something to cry about... but it doesn't have to be something that would cause many others to cry. (I even cry at sappy commercials).

Anyway, good topic.
wayneb is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 10-25-2011, 01:14 PM #43

violinm9 has no updates.

5 yr Member

This topic certainly applies to me. Emotions always get in my way. How's that for a black-and-white statement? I am pondering how to have the appropriate emotions toward my two deceased parents. My mother was an abusive alcoholic and my father enabled her. Yet, they both provided me with many travel and educational opportunities. I am grateful for the advantages - music lessons - but hate them for the many beatings and verbal abuse I endured. and also my father, a physician who could have gotten my mother into psychiatric treatment but didn't, who stood by and did nothing. He was a doctor (died last Dec. 10) My mother would even tell him to hit me with his belt. He obeyed. He loved my mother to the end. SHe abused and even hit him too. The reason for his unfailing loyalty to her is a mystery to me. I feel guilty about hating them. SOrry if my verbiage is a little convoluted. The emotions arising from me while writing this are getting in the way of rational communication.
violinm9 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Old 10-25-2011, 01:49 PM #44
Grand Magnate
Community Liaison

Grand Magnate
Community Liaison
gma45 has no updates.

5 yr Member
1,758 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!

I am emotionally challenged to say the least. I never seem to have the right emotion at the appropriate time. This is one thing I need to work on.
gma45 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011, 12:16 PM #45

bebegothique432 has no updates.

5 yr Member

Thanks for welcoming me. I am really confused about how all my emotions relate to one another. as an artist and as a regular woman, its really hard not to be able to understand yourself.
bebegothique432 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 12-07-2011, 07:08 PM #46

Reesa has no updates.

5 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocJohn View Post
Many people have questions about emotions and how to better deal with them... this forum will allow individuals to help one another learn to recognize emotions, and learn to better cope with them in a positive manner in their lives.

DocJohn

I have always had a hard time expressing how I feel to others. I would like to be able to talk to people and share my emotions. Sometimes all you need is a kind ear to listen.
Thank You
Reesa
Reesa is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 01-18-2012, 04:55 PM #47

Italianma has no updates.

5 yr Member
4 hugs
given

I too have a struggle with my emotions. My husband and son have battled depression for many years and the stress in our home can be overwhelming at times. It seems as though as time has gone on, I can't handle things the way I did in the past. Now, I will be angery, laugh or cry, sometimes all within an hour.
I recently started therphy and I am hopful this will help me manange my reactions to the stress in my life.
Italianma is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Hugs from:
Old 01-19-2012, 06:31 PM #48

cjmccray has no updates.

5 yr Member
6 hugs
given

I've alway been taught that showing emotion is a sign of weakness therfore, I do not want to open up about those feelings. I have been in therapy for many years and still don't feel that I can them out. I'm afraid of judgement. Currently I am attending group therapy and don't feel that I am getting much from it. Wondering if it's because I'm afraid to open up.
cjmccray is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 09:20 AM #49

AmICrazyOrWhat86NY has no updates.

5 yr Member

I hate feeling the way I feel
AmICrazyOrWhat86NY is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 04:37 PM #50

crazytrains has no updates.

5 yr Member

When it comes to emotion for human, I categorize it to two different types. Instinctual or animal kind of emotions (such as fear, content, sadness, ego, etc.) , and intellectual ones (such as jealousy, greed, love, disappointment, etc.). And I believe, that climate and culture has a lot to do with which one people seek for. Tell me if I am wrong, but I have noticed, looking at the people from different parts of the world, those that naturally and biologically are more likely to experience the instinctual emotions, are the ones that look more for the second kind. That's why I see more of emotions such as love, jealousy, greed in warm climate, as for people from colder climate are more inclined to find a way to experience the first kind. That being said, it agrees with the biological explanation of emotion, which is a biochemistry reaction caused by hormones in human. Climate, and food are the two major factors on hormones level in people, therefore, they also affect their emotions.

If one is not satisfied with what his or her biochemistry is creating in form of emotions, the best way to cope with it is to change those two factors first. To put it in a metaphor, if your body can not deal with spicy food, then change your diet!

A friend of mine, a very hot blooded guy, who was the person that always his out of control emotions were getting a best of him in any social situation (and of course causing a lot of grief) followed my advice. Changed his diet and the climate he lived in, and now he is in a full control of his emotions. However, since what he is doing is against his nature, it is making him a none satisfied and unhappy person, but at least he is in control!
crazytrains is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote