Psych Central

Go Back   Forums at Psych Central > > >



advertisement
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-13-2018, 02:31 PM   #1
key tones
espressivo
 
key tones's Avatar
key tones - vivace
 
Member Since: Sep 2017
Location: On hiatus
Posts: 3,359 (SuperPoster!)
My Mood: T Not Effective for C-PTSD - How to Pick T

5,048 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!
Default T Not Effective for C-PTSD - How to Pick T

I liked my therapist, and she was helping me with work stress. Things were going well.

Then she uncovered childhood abuse and C-PTSD. It stresses me out to talk about it. Now the anxiety that was getting better is getting worse.

Basically, she just kept using CBT. She says she does DBT but I know what it is, and she doesnít, except for a lot of acceptance statements.

I would be talking about work, she has to interject that this is because of the way my mother treated me, which then a) makes anxiety wash over me and b) knocks me off track. Then, she offers me no coping mechanism. Thatís it. Thatís her help for me.

She basically explained that she wants me to know there is a reason for how Iím feeling (in response to me telling her this is bothering me). She continued to do this at my next appointment.

This is when I realized sheís got little more than deep breathing and replace a negative thought to offer.

How do you find an effective T for PTSD?

What do you feel works?

I am looking into DBMR after reading here. I hope that is a good answer, but I suspect it isnít the only answer Iíll need.

Thank you!
__________________
óKT

The crisis text and phone numbers are at the top of the Depression forum in the gentle reminder. Here is a link to various crisis hotline numbers:

https://psychcentral.com/lib/common-...phone-numbers/

Last edited by key tones; 03-13-2018 at 03:43 PM..
key tones is offline   Reply With Quote

advertisement
Old 03-15-2018, 12:28 PM   #2
abusedtoy
Member
 
abusedtoy's Avatar
abusedtoy died 8 years ago
 
Member Since: Nov 2017
Location: Underground
Posts: 181
My Mood: T Not Effective for C-PTSD - How to Pick T

59 hugs
given
Default Re: T Not Effective for C-PTSD - How to Pick T

Can I know with CBT and DBT, how does your therapist work with you specifically? I have asked my T quite a few times on how will she works on me, since I have C-PTSD as well, but she says vaguely that I am being put on a "Trauma Model." I am confused.
__________________
Official Psychiatric Dx.
C-PTSD+OSDD+DPD+PVH, MDD, PDD, TTM
abusedtoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Hugs from:
Old 03-15-2018, 12:53 PM   #3
key tones
espressivo
 
key tones's Avatar
key tones - vivace
 
Member Since: Sep 2017
Location: On hiatus
Posts: 3,359 (SuperPoster!)
My Mood: T Not Effective for C-PTSD - How to Pick T

5,048 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!
Default Re: T Not Effective for C-PTSD - How to Pick T

My T calls DBT ďjust CBT on steroids.Ē I donít agree

I went to a NAMI group last night, and the leader talked about DBT being a lot better because it teaches radical acceptance, distress tolerance, and more mindfulness. Someone else chimed in and said it also gives homework and that it is a lot t of work, whereas CBT is more talking with a therapist.

My T gives me deep breathing exercises and to practice replacing a negative thought with a positive one. On my difficulties looking at certain people, to look at their foreheads instead.

There have been other suggestions, but mostly she is asking me how Iím doing and she empathizes.

On my spending all my time on the internet to avoid anxiety, she says that is OK it is a coping skill.

On me sleeping in the recliner, same thing, it is a coping skill.

On me talking about stressful work situations, she tells me this is about my childhood, and thatís too upsetting. It throws me off track. It doesnít help. I donít want to talk, have today tied to past trauma, and receive empathy. It isnít helping; Iím getting worse.

Iíve read about CBT; she isnít helping me reframe the traumas. I donít know how to do that.

I want to break spending so much time on the internet, and I want to sleep in my bed. I want to be OK to live life with less fear and anxiety.

I do have a new therapist Iím going to try at the end of this month.
__________________
óKT

The crisis text and phone numbers are at the top of the Depression forum in the gentle reminder. Here is a link to various crisis hotline numbers:

https://psychcentral.com/lib/common-...phone-numbers/
key tones is offline   Reply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Old 03-15-2018, 01:12 PM   #4
RubyRae
Grand Member
RubyRae has no updates.
 
Member Since: Apr 2017
Location: USA
Posts: 857
455 hugs
given
Default Re: T Not Effective for C-PTSD - How to Pick T

I personally think it's best to find a therapist that either specializes in trauma or at least has experience with it.My T not only specializes but also has over 30 years of experience.

He tried whatever he thought would help me most.Since my traumas varied so much,so many different types of abuse and trauma,for some it was DBT,some CBT,some ACT(acceptance and committment theray) and everything else in between,even EMDR for one specific trauma.

I was happy he changed things up by what he felt was needed.
RubyRae is offline   Reply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Hugs from:
Old 03-15-2018, 01:29 PM   #5
seesaw
Human
 
seesaw's Avatar
seesaw is tired of other people's BS
 
Member Since: Apr 2014
Location: Home
Posts: 5,614 (SuperPoster!)
My Mood: T Not Effective for C-PTSD - How to Pick T

3 yr Member
531 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!
Default Re: T Not Effective for C-PTSD - How to Pick T

Quote:
Originally Posted by key tones View Post
My T calls DBT ďjust CBT on steroids.Ē I donít agree

I went to a NAMI group last night, and the leader talked about DBT being a lot better because it teaches radical acceptance, distress tolerance, and more mindfulness. Someone else chimed in and said it also gives homework and that it is a lot t of work, whereas CBT is more talking with a therapist.

My T gives me deep breathing exercises and to practice replacing a negative thought with a positive one. On my difficulties looking at certain people, to look at their foreheads instead.

There have been other suggestions, but mostly she is asking me how Iím doing and she empathizes.

On my spending all my time on the internet to avoid anxiety, she says that is OK it is a coping skill.

On me sleeping in the recliner, same thing, it is a coping skill.

On me talking about stressful work situations, she tells me this is about my childhood, and thatís too upsetting. It throws me off track. It doesnít help. I donít want to talk, have today tied to past trauma, and receive empathy. It isnít helping; Iím getting worse.

Iíve read about CBT; she isnít helping me reframe the traumas. I donít know how to do that.

I want to break spending so much time on the internet, and I want to sleep in my bed. I want to be OK to live life with less fear and anxiety.

I do have a new therapist Iím going to try at the end of this month.
Um, there's a lot more to CBT than what your T is doing. I have had huge progress with CBT. You can get workbooks for CBT that will help you as much as the T will, IMO. I have tried DBT but didn't like it as much as CBT. I think sometimes which works better kind of matters on your personality.

That said, if you want to try DBT, go for it. I have heard from others that it's been very helpful. I do think you could try CBT and actually do more, because it's so much more than changing negative thoughts and deep breathing. I mean, it is a lot about recognizing your cognitive distortions, but it's not just about changing one thought as it happens.
__________________


What if I fall? Oh, my dear, but what if you fly?

Primary Dx: C-PTSD and Severe Chronic Treatment Resistant Major Depressive Disorder
Secondary Dx: Generalized Anxiety Disorder with mild Agoraphobia.

Meds I've tried: Prozac, Zoloft, Celexa, Effexor, Remeron, Elavil, Wellbutrin, Risperidone, Abilify, Prazosin, Paxil, Trazadone, Tramadol, Topomax, Xanax, Propranolol, Valium, Visteril, Vraylar, Selinor, Clonopin, Ambien

Treatments I've done: CBT, DBT, Transcranial Magnetic Stimulation (TMS), Talk therapy, psychotherapy, exercise, diet, sleeping more, sleeping less...
seesaw is offline   Reply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Hugs from:
Old 03-15-2018, 02:49 PM   #6
Fuzzybear
Wisest Elder Ever
 
Fuzzybear's Avatar
Fuzzybear has no updates.
 
Member Since: Nov 2002
Location: Cave.
Posts: 73,086 (SuperPoster!)
10 yr Member
42.7k hugs
given
PC PoohBah!
Default Re: T Not Effective for C-PTSD - How to Pick T

There arenít many effective tís for PTSD over here

ďTrial and errorĒ (or nothing at all ) meanwhile ďwe get worseĒ



I think youíll have better luck over your side of the pond. Iím keeping my paws crossed for you
__________________
Fuzzybear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2018, 06:32 PM   #7
key tones
espressivo
 
key tones's Avatar
key tones - vivace
 
Member Since: Sep 2017
Location: On hiatus
Posts: 3,359 (SuperPoster!)
My Mood: T Not Effective for C-PTSD - How to Pick T

5,048 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!
Default Re: T Not Effective for C-PTSD - How to Pick T

Thank you for your replies I am getting the sinking feeling that it is harder to find a good therapist than it is to find a good doctor.


Hi Fuzzy!! I'm so sorry you have soooo much trouble getting help, in so many ways


Seesaw - interesting on the CBT. I said to my T that I was thinking of getting a book on CBT, and she said I didn't need to because I already have a book on DBT therefore it is not necessary. Hmm...


I'm probably not describing everything that my therapist was doing, but yeah, I don't think she was doing much really. I don't doubt this isn't descriptive of CBT. I felt that she wasn't working very hard.

Believe it or not, she was better than my previous therapist. He gave me a handout that had been copied so many times the text was getting distorted. His only angle with me was that I had catastrophic thinking and he would point out the words I was using and tell me not to use those, as per the instruction sheet he had given me.


I'm beginning to wonder if it is hard to find someone.


I hope this next therapist I'm seeing works out--she does CBT, DBT, and EMDR. I might have to pay out of pocket instead of use insurance because most therapists don't take my insurance. This might be part of the problem.


RubyRae - this next therapist I'm seeing does have trauma and PTSD in her profile. She has grey hair (I was looking for evidence because she only looks maybe 40 in her picture) and over 30 year of experience.
__________________
óKT

The crisis text and phone numbers are at the top of the Depression forum in the gentle reminder. Here is a link to various crisis hotline numbers:

https://psychcentral.com/lib/common-...phone-numbers/
key tones is offline   Reply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Hugs from:
Old 03-17-2018, 02:04 PM   #8
amandalouise
Wise Elder
 
amandalouise's Avatar
amandalouise has no updates.
 
Member Since: Mar 2009
Location: NY
Posts: 7,507 (SuperPoster!)
8 yr Member
610 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!
Default Re: T Not Effective for C-PTSD - How to Pick T

Quote:
Originally Posted by abusedtoy View Post
Can I know with CBT and DBT, how does your therapist work with you specifically? I have asked my T quite a few times on how will she works on me, since I have C-PTSD as well, but she says vaguely that I am being put on a "Trauma Model." I am confused.
I too am on trauma model therapy. its a therapy technique that does not limit a client and therapist on what they can and cant do. its more working on the symptoms as they arise instead of lumping a person into one direct type of therapy. it combines many kinds of therapy depending on ones own individual problems....

example I have stress problems so instead of saying ok we are going to do DBT or Emdr or what have you. my therapist and I work on many angles .....

relaxation techniques, breathing techniques, grounding techniques, cognative behavior techniques, DBT, art therapy, music therapy... and more....

in other words its more individualized, relating directly to what my problem areas are but yet has structure to it, homework and other elements too.
amandalouise is offline   Reply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Hugs from:
Old 03-18-2018, 09:19 AM   #9
zoiecat
Member
 
zoiecat's Avatar
zoiecat has no updates.
 
Member Since: Apr 2017
Location: USA
Posts: 378
123 hugs
given
Default Re: T Not Effective for C-PTSD - How to Pick T

Key tones... I see you in the US and if you're in a larger metropolitan area do a search on psychology today for therapists who specialize in trauma. Then look at their modalities make sure that they use EMDR, CBT, DBT, etc. Treating complex PTSD is not a one-size-fits-all. You need to use a combination of modalities to best help the client.

My therapist will do EMDR for a few sessions and then we work on cognitive reframes some days it's just talk therapy mainly based on CBT and other days he adds parts of DBT in. Rinse and repeat depending on my mood and what is bothering me most of the time. He also got me to go to a DBT class for 2 hours every week that has been very helpful in combination with therapy twice a week. I therapy is also does prolonged exposure therapy which he says he usually uses with any remaining residual effects after EMDR.
zoiecat is offline   Reply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Hugs from:
Old 03-18-2018, 12:58 PM   #10
key tones
espressivo
 
key tones's Avatar
key tones - vivace
 
Member Since: Sep 2017
Location: On hiatus
Posts: 3,359 (SuperPoster!)
My Mood: T Not Effective for C-PTSD - How to Pick T

5,048 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!
Default Re: T Not Effective for C-PTSD - How to Pick T

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoiecat View Post
Key tones... I see you in the US and if you're in a larger metropolitan area do a search on psychology today for therapists who specialize in trauma. Then look at their modalities make sure that they use EMDR, CBT, DBT, etc. Treating complex PTSD is not a one-size-fits-all. You need to use a combination of modalities to best help the client.

My therapist will do EMDR for a few sessions and then we work on cognitive reframes some days it's just talk therapy mainly based on CBT and other days he adds parts of DBT in. Rinse and repeat depending on my mood and what is bothering me most of the time. He also got me to go to a DBT class for 2 hours every week that has been very helpful in combination with therapy twice a week. I therapy is also does prolonged exposure therapy which he says he usually uses with any remaining residual effects after EMDR.
This is good advice! Thank you!!
__________________
óKT

The crisis text and phone numbers are at the top of the Depression forum in the gentle reminder. Here is a link to various crisis hotline numbers:

https://psychcentral.com/lib/common-...phone-numbers/
key tones is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:36 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® — Copyright © 2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.



advertisement

 

The material on this site is for informational purposes only, and is not a substitute for medical advice,
diagnosis or treatment provided by a qualified health care provider.
Always consult your doctor or mental health professional before trying anything you read here.

 

HomeAbout UsContact UsPrivacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer
Forums HomeCommunity GuidelinesHelp


 
Helplines and Lifelines