Psych Central

Go Back   Forums at Psych Central > Mental Health Support > Post-traumatic Stress > Complex PTSD

advertisement
Unread 06-18-2017, 06:39 PM   #1
Grand Magnate
TrailRunner14 has no updates.

My Mood:

270 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!
Default Interesting article/information about CPTSD and physical health issues.

This is a very interesting article/FB post about physical issues resulting from trauma.

https://healingfromcomplextraumaandp...-hope-lucario/

More truth.

"Hope knows that if great trials are avoided, great deeds remain undone and the possibility of growth into greatness of soul is aborted." - Brennan Manning
TrailRunner14 is offline   Reply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Hugs from:

advertisement
Unread 06-19-2017, 06:38 PM   #2
Magnate

Trace14 drowning

My Mood:

3 yr Member
1,851 hugs
given
Default Re: Interesting article/information about CPTSD and physical health issues.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrailRunner14 View Post
This is a very interesting article/FB post about physical issues resulting from trauma.

https://healingfromcomplextraumaandp...-hope-lucario/

More truth.
That is interesting. Odd how so many things go hand in hand.

"Caught in the Quiet"
Trace14 is offline   Reply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Unread 08-07-2017, 01:31 PM   #3

awhellnaw has no updates.

Default Re: Interesting article/information about CPTSD and physical health issues.

Investigating "incurable" conditions was the first step on the yellow brick road to discovering CPTSD for me. So many physical problems have disappeared since then and I wonder how much of it was simply down to the psychological relief I experienced as I began to feel more hopeful and empowered.
awhellnaw is offline   Reply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Unread 08-08-2017, 07:06 PM   #4
Grand Magnate
TrailRunner14 has no updates.

My Mood:

270 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!
Default Interesting article/information about CPTSD and physical health issues.

I deal with these issues personally and I know that I do. It was just a bit too real to actually see them listed out and validated.

https://healingfromcomplextraumaandp...omplex-trauma/

ETA: Added a portion of the article.

Psychological trauma in early childhood can have a tremendous negative impact as it can distort the infant, toddler or young child’s social, emotional, neurological, physical and sensory development. This is especially true of young children who have experienced multiple and/or chronic, adverse interpersonal traumatic events through the child’s care giving system. Experts in the traumatic stress field such as J. Briere, J. Spinazzola and B.S. van der Kolk have developed the term “complex trauma” to identify this form of trauma.

The symptoms and behavioral characteristics of complex trauma have been categorized into seven domains:

1. Attachment – Uncertainty about the reliability and predictability of the world, problems with boundaries, distrust and suspiciousness, social isolation, difficulty attuning to other people’s emotional states and points of view, difficulty with perspective taking and difficulty enlisting other people as allies.

2. Biology – Sensorimotor developmental problems, problems with coordination, balance, body tone, difficulties localizing skin contact, hypersensitivity to physical contact, analgesia, somatization, increased medical problems.

3. Affect or emotional regulation – easily-aroused high-intensity emotions, difficulty with emotional self-regulation, difficulty describing feelings and internal experience, chronic and pervasive depressed mood or sense of emptiness or deadness, chronic suicidal preoccupation, over-inhibition or excessive expression of anger and difficulty communicating wishes and desires.

4. Dissociation – distinct alterations in states of consciousness, amnesia, depersonalization and de-realization and two or more distinct states of consciousness, with impaired memory for state-based events.

5. Behavioral control – poor modulation of impulses, self-destructive behavior, aggressive behavior, sleep disturbances, eating disorders, substance abuse, oppositional behavior, excessive compliance, pathological self-soothing behaviors, difficulty understanding and complying with rules and communication of traumatic past by reenactment in day-to-day behavior or play (sexual, aggressive, etc.).

6. Cognition – difficulties in attention regulation and executive functioning, problems focusing on and completing tasks, difficulty planning and anticipating, learning difficulties, problems with language development, lack of sustained curiosity, problems with processing novel information, problems with object constancy, problems understanding own contribution to what happens to them, problems with orientation in time and space, acoustic and visual perceptual problems, impaired comprehension of complex visual-spatial patterns.

7. Self-concept – lack of a continuous and predictable sense of self, low self-esteem, feelings of shame and guilt, generalized sense of being ineffective in dealing with one’s environment, belief that one has been permanently damaged by the trauma, poor sense of separateness, disturbances of body image and shame and guilt.

"Hope knows that if great trials are avoided, great deeds remain undone and the possibility of growth into greatness of soul is aborted." - Brennan Manning
TrailRunner14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-08-2017, 08:04 PM   #5
Magnate

Trace14 drowning

My Mood:

3 yr Member
1,851 hugs
given

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrailRunner14 View Post
I deal with these issues personally and I know that I do. It was just a bit too real to actually see them listed out and validated.

https://healingfromcomplextraumaandp...omplex-trauma/

ETA: Added a portion of the article.

Psychological trauma in early childhood can have a tremendous negative impact as it can distort the infant, toddler or young child’s social, emotional, neurological, physical and sensory development. This is especially true of young children who have experienced multiple and/or chronic, adverse interpersonal traumatic events through the child’s care giving system. Experts in the traumatic stress field such as J. Briere, J. Spinazzola and B.S. van der Kolk have developed the term “complex trauma” to identify this form of trauma.

The symptoms and behavioral characteristics of complex trauma have been categorized into seven domains:

1. Attachment – Uncertainty about the reliability and predictability of the world, problems with boundaries, distrust and suspiciousness, social isolation, difficulty attuning to other people’s emotional states and points of view, difficulty with perspective taking and difficulty enlisting other people as allies.

2. Biology – Sensorimotor developmental problems, problems with coordination, balance, body tone, difficulties localizing skin contact, hypersensitivity to physical contact, analgesia, somatization, increased medical problems.

3. Affect or emotional regulation – easily-aroused high-intensity emotions, difficulty with emotional self-regulation, difficulty describing feelings and internal experience, chronic and pervasive depressed mood or sense of emptiness or deadness, chronic suicidal preoccupation, over-inhibition or excessive expression of anger and difficulty communicating wishes and desires.

4. Dissociation – distinct alterations in states of consciousness, amnesia, depersonalization and de-realization and two or more distinct states of consciousness, with impaired memory for state-based events.

5. Behavioral control – poor modulation of impulses, self-destructive behavior, aggressive behavior, sleep disturbances, eating disorders, substance abuse, oppositional behavior, excessive compliance, pathological self-soothing behaviors, difficulty understanding and complying with rules and communication of traumatic past by reenactment in day-to-day behavior or play (sexual, aggressive, etc.).

6. Cognition – difficulties in attention regulation and executive functioning, problems focusing on and completing tasks, difficulty planning and anticipating, learning difficulties, problems with language development, lack of sustained curiosity, problems with processing novel information, problems with object constancy, problems understanding own contribution to what happens to them, problems with orientation in time and space, acoustic and visual perceptual problems, impaired comprehension of complex visual-spatial patterns.

7. Self-concept – lack of a continuous and predictable sense of self, low self-esteem, feelings of shame and guilt, generalized sense of being ineffective in dealing with one’s environment, belief that one has been permanently damaged by the trauma, poor sense of separateness, disturbances of body image and shame and guilt.

Great information, I can really relate

"Caught in the Quiet"
Trace14 is offline   Reply With Quote