Psych Central

Go Back   Forums at Psych Central > General > Community Feedback & Technical Support

advertisement
Unread 10-09-2017, 10:59 AM   #1
Dragonlady of Pern
Chat Leader

Moreta has no updates.

My Mood:

8 yr Member
194 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!
Default Can someone please tell me

Can someone please tell me why a chat mod can put me on ignore, but i can't put them on ignore? I'm sick of this.

Thanks
Moreta is offline   Reply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:

advertisement
Unread 10-09-2017, 11:22 AM   #2
Elder

amandalouise has no updates.

My Mood:

8 yr Member
501 hugs
given
Default Re: Can someone please tell me

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moreta View Post
Can someone please tell me why a chat mod can put me on ignore, but i can't put them on ignore? I'm sick of this.

Thanks
my suggestion.... contact the moderators by private message. they will be able to tell you through private message why the moderator took that administrative action.
amandalouise is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-09-2017, 01:21 PM   #3
Dragonlady of Pern
Chat Leader

Moreta has no updates.

My Mood:

8 yr Member
194 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!

Quote:
Originally Posted by amandalouise View Post
my suggestion.... contact the moderators by private message. they will be able to tell you through private message why the moderator took that administrative action.
It wasn't an administrative action. I can still talk in chat. There's a few of us they have on ignore. How is this person fit to be a moderator.
Unread 10-09-2017, 01:35 PM   #4
Elder

My Mood:

8 yr Member
501 hugs
given

Quote:
It wasn't an administrative action. I can still talk in chat. There's a few of us they have on ignore. How is this person fit to be a moderator.
Any time a moderator or chat leader does something like putting someone on ignore its called an administrative issue.

how does one become a moderator in chat. anyone can become a chat leader. when they are leading a chat that makes them the moderator of that chat.
here is a link to becoming a chat leader. and how you can contact a moderator with any chat questions about chat leading, chat leaders.

https://forums.psychcentral.com/rule...uidelines.html
Unread 10-09-2017, 02:11 PM   #5
Elder

My Mood:

8 yr Member
501 hugs
given

Quote:
using ignore feature doesnt say someone is mentally fit or not to lead a chat, or fit or not to post on the boards. it actually says they are fit and taking care of their self.

the ignore feature is a community wide (both for chat and on the forums) option for when someone is triggered... its there for anyone to use any time they feel triggered by posts or persons here on psych central. every members profile has the ignore feature to use.

making a guess here that you cant put the chat leaders on ignore in the chat that they are leading because they are the one in control of everything that goes on in chat, they are held responsible for problems in their chat room.

heres a good example what if I went into chat. put the chat leader on ignore so they could not see what I was doing and then attacked another member. what would happen. the leader could not do their job of keeping everyone safe and held responsible for letting their chat get out of control. the chat leader has to be able to see whats going on with all the members in chat in order to keep everyone on topic and following chat rules. leaders placing members on ignore in chat may be one of the ways chat leaders keep their chats in control, on topic and safe for all. (which makes it an administrative issue)
Unread 10-09-2017, 02:28 PM   #6
Dragonlady of Pern
Chat Leader

Moreta has no updates.

My Mood:

8 yr Member
194 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!

I did quite enjoy chat 2+ years ago. I stay though cause I have friends here. If it wasn't for that I'd leave.
Unread 10-09-2017, 02:40 PM   #7
Awesoment

seesaw anxious

My Mood:

3 yr Member
299 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!

Quote:
using ignore feature doesnt say someone is mentally fit or not to lead a chat, or fit or not to post on the boards. it actually says they are fit and taking care of their self.

the ignore feature is a community wide (both for chat and on the forums) option for when someone is triggered... its there for anyone to use any time they feel triggered by posts or persons here on psych central. every members profile has the ignore feature to use.

making a guess here that you cant put the chat leaders on ignore in the chat that they are leading because they are the one in control of everything that goes on in chat, they are held responsible for problems in their chat room.

heres a good example what if I went into chat. put the chat leader on ignore so they could not see what I was doing and then attacked another member. what would happen. the leader could not do their job of keeping everyone safe and held responsible for letting their chat get out of control. the chat leader has to be able to see whats going on with all the members in chat in order to keep everyone on topic and following chat rules. leaders placing members on ignore in chat may be one of the ways chat leaders keep their chats in control, on topic and safe for all. (which makes it an administrative issue)
This isn't how chat works; it's not the same as in the forums. If a moderator puts you on ignore, then THEY can't see what you are saying or if that person is causing any trouble. Putting someone on ignore in chat doesn't block them from seeing your comments, only you from seeing theirs. So if I put Moreta on block/ignore, she can still see me, but I can't see her. So a moderator should not be able to put someone on ignore otherwise they can't moderate, because they can't see what that person says. Also, putting someone on ignore in the forums does not put them on ignore/block in chat. You have to do them separately.

As far as chat leaders having mod powers, in the new chat system, chat hosts can create rooms, but we do not have mod powers in them. It's a flaw of the new system, because you can't actually moderator your own chat. If you have a problem, you have to go find an actual moderator or admin or report them outside of chat. But there is nothing you can do in real time except PM the person and speak to them in chat, if necessary.

The new chat client is different than the old chat client. In some ways it's better, in some ways it's worse. But I don't know how a mod putting someone on block/ignore allows them to effectively moderate. The blocked person could start flaming everyone in the room and the moderator wouldn't know anything about it.

Also if you block someone they cannot PM you. So if a moderator has me blocked, or ignored, and I need them, I cannot PM them, and they can't see my requests in chat because they are choosing to ignore me. See how this is a problem?

I'm not sure what the solution is except to request that moderators not use the ignore/block function in chat so that they can effectively help everyone in chat, not just people they have an affinity for. Although I will say I don't actually see this being a big problem. I think what happened earlier today was a glitch in chat, not on purpose.

Seesaw

Primary Dx: PTSD and Severe Chronic Treatment Resistant Major Depressive Disorder[/SIGPIC]
Secondary Dx: OCPD, Generalized Anxiety Disorder with mild Agoraphobia.

Meds I've tried: Prozac, Zoloft, Celexa, Effexor, Remeron, Elavil, Wellbutrin, Risperidone, Abilify, Prazosin, Paxil, Trazadone, Tramadol, Topomax, Xanax, Propranolol, Valium, Visteril, Vraylar, Selinor, Clonopin, Ambien

Treatments I've done: CBT, DBT, Transcranial Magnetic Stimulation (TMS), Talk therapy, psychotherapy, exercise, diet, sleeping more, sleeping less...
seesaw is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-09-2017, 04:31 PM   #8
Elder

My Mood:

8 yr Member
501 hugs
given

Quote:
Originally Posted by seesaw View Post
This isn't how chat works; it's not the same as in the forums. If a moderator puts you on ignore, then THEY can't see what you are saying or if that person is causing any trouble. Putting someone on ignore in chat doesn't block them from seeing your comments, only you from seeing theirs. So if I put Moreta on block/ignore, she can still see me, but I can't see her. So a moderator should not be able to put someone on ignore otherwise they can't moderate, because they can't see what that person says. Also, putting someone on ignore in the forums does not put them on ignore/block in chat. You have to do them separately.

As far as chat leaders having mod powers, in the new chat system, chat hosts can create rooms, but we do not have mod powers in them. It's a flaw of the new system, because you can't actually moderator your own chat. If you have a problem, you have to go find an actual moderator or admin or report them outside of chat. But there is nothing you can do in real time except PM the person and speak to them in chat, if necessary.

The new chat client is different than the old chat client. In some ways it's better, in some ways it's worse. But I don't know how a mod putting someone on block/ignore allows them to effectively moderate. The blocked person could start flaming everyone in the room and the moderator wouldn't know anything about it.

Also if you block someone they cannot PM you. So if a moderator has me blocked, or ignored, and I need them, I cannot PM them, and they can't see my requests in chat because they are choosing to ignore me. See how this is a problem?

I'm not sure what the solution is except to request that moderators not use the ignore/block function in chat so that they can effectively help everyone in chat, not just people they have an affinity for. Although I will say I don't actually see this being a big problem. I think what happened earlier today was a glitch in chat, not on purpose.

Seesaw
yes you are right I had it backwards
Unread 10-10-2017, 10:46 AM   #9
existing but not living
Community Liaison
shattered sanity has no updates.

My Mood:

5 yr Member
1,360 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!

Quote:
Any time a moderator or chat leader does something like putting someone on ignore its called an administrative issue.

how does one become a moderator in chat. anyone can become a chat leader. when they are leading a chat that makes them the moderator of that chat.
here is a link to becoming a chat leader. and how you can contact a moderator with any chat questions about chat leading, chat leaders.

https://forums.psychcentral.com/rule...uidelines.html

you learn something new every day.

I always thought administrators were diffrent from moderators, and only administrators could take those kind of actions

moderators had control, but not as much.

or that's what I thought
shattered sanity is offline   Reply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Hugs from:
Unread 10-11-2017, 09:45 AM   #10
Wisest Elder Ever

Fuzzybear has no updates.

10 yr Member
34.6k hugs
given
PC PoohBah!

I learnt something new from this thread. Thanks for the enlightening posts

(I havenít been in chat much for a long time but used to mostly enjoy it when I did chat )