Psych Central

Go Back   Forums at Psych Central > General > Community Feedback & Technical Support

advertisement
Unread 10-11-2017, 10:06 AM   #11
Jimi the rat

-jimi- is a vermin. Please feed me anyway.

My Mood:

8 yr Member PC PoohBah!
Default Re: Can someone please tell me

A chat admin needs to see everyone. Everything else is ridiculous. That does not mean the admin needs to interact with everyone, but that is another matter.

advertisement
Unread 10-12-2017, 07:28 PM   #12
Dis -co nn- ect -ed
Community Liaison

IchbinkeinTeufel has no updates.

My Mood:

5 yr Member
273 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!

I'm a former CST moderator and chat moderator, so maybe my post will hold some sort of worth.

I'd hope you would consider that we are all human and deserving of support, so, whatever our titles, self-care is still a thing. Moderators and administrators have to look out for #1, too. Just because a moderator is in the chat, doesn't mean they are obligated to always be "moderating". At times of need or just not feeling up to it, it's a bit much, maybe they just want to be on as a regular chatter. This is one of the reasons I stopped.

I do understand and appreciate the indifference to a moderator putting someone on ignore though, and how one-sided and unfair it might at times feel, however, it's not necessarily quite so black and white.

I'd like to think this particular case with Moreta wasn't down to (un)favoritism, but was a case of the moderator needing self-care for whatever reason.

The best thing to do in a situation like this, IMO, is to contact either a different moderator or (and this is probably a better option) contact an administrator to explain the issue; this keeps things private and avoids publicly singling people out, whether referring by name or not.

Take care of thine self.
Community Support Team
IchbinkeinTeufel is offline   Reply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Hugs from:
Unread 10-12-2017, 08:05 PM   #13
Awesoment

seesaw anxious

My Mood:

3 yr Member
299 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!

Quote:
Originally Posted by IchbinkeinTeufel View Post
I'm a former CST moderator and chat moderator, so maybe my post will hold some sort of worth.

I'd hope you would consider that we are all human and deserving of support, so, whatever our titles, self-care is still a thing. Moderators and administrators have to look out for #1, too. Just because a moderator is in the chat, doesn't mean they are obligated to always be "moderating". At times of need or just not feeling up to it, it's a bit much, maybe they just want to be on as a regular chatter. This is one of the reasons I stopped.

I do understand and appreciate the indifference to a moderator putting someone on ignore though, and how one-sided and unfair it might at times feel, however, it's not necessarily quite so black and white.

I'd like to think this particular case with Moreta wasn't down to (un)favoritism, but was a case of the moderator needing self-care for whatever reason.

The best thing to do in a situation like this, IMO, is to contact either a different moderator or (and this is probably a better option) contact an administrator to explain the issue; this keeps things private and avoids publicly singling people out, whether referring by name or not.

Take care of thine self.
The problem, Ichy, is that regular chatters can't put mods on ignore so we are forced to deal with them even when we might wish to put them on ignore for self-care. I've seen mods say terrible things and behave in very inappropriate fashions and I can't put them ignore, so my only choice is to leave chat. Why should the mods get preferential treatment to be able to ignore the chatters? That seems hugely unfair to me and an abuse of power.

Primary Dx: PTSD and Severe Chronic Treatment Resistant Major Depressive Disorder[/SIGPIC]
Secondary Dx: OCPD, Generalized Anxiety Disorder with mild Agoraphobia.

Meds I've tried: Prozac, Zoloft, Celexa, Effexor, Remeron, Elavil, Wellbutrin, Risperidone, Abilify, Prazosin, Paxil, Trazadone, Tramadol, Topomax, Xanax, Propranolol, Valium, Visteril, Vraylar, Selinor, Clonopin, Ambien

Treatments I've done: CBT, DBT, Transcranial Magnetic Stimulation (TMS), Talk therapy, psychotherapy, exercise, diet, sleeping more, sleeping less...
seesaw is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-12-2017, 08:24 PM   #14
Magnate
Chat Coordinator
Chat Leader

John25 has no updates.

8 yr Member
72 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!

I just hosted Depression and Anxiety Chat and it happened to me too: someone wasn't showing up on the Users List (at the right of the screen) but nevertheless still active in the chat room. Tamster and I both had that experience. Seems like a glitch in chat.

Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle.
John25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-12-2017, 08:40 PM   #15
Awesoment

seesaw anxious

My Mood:

3 yr Member
299 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!

Quote:
Originally Posted by John25 View Post
I just hosted Depression and Anxiety Chat and it happened to me too: someone wasn't showing up on the Users List (at the right of the screen) but nevertheless still active in the chat room. Tamster and I both had that experience. Seems like a glitch in chat.
Yes, as I mentioned in an early comment, I think what happened to me was a glitch in chat because the mod was trying to chat with me, just couldn't see my responses.

Seesaw

Primary Dx: PTSD and Severe Chronic Treatment Resistant Major Depressive Disorder[/SIGPIC]
Secondary Dx: OCPD, Generalized Anxiety Disorder with mild Agoraphobia.

Meds I've tried: Prozac, Zoloft, Celexa, Effexor, Remeron, Elavil, Wellbutrin, Risperidone, Abilify, Prazosin, Paxil, Trazadone, Tramadol, Topomax, Xanax, Propranolol, Valium, Visteril, Vraylar, Selinor, Clonopin, Ambien

Treatments I've done: CBT, DBT, Transcranial Magnetic Stimulation (TMS), Talk therapy, psychotherapy, exercise, diet, sleeping more, sleeping less...
seesaw is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-14-2017, 02:03 PM   #16
Dis -co nn- ect -ed
Community Liaison

IchbinkeinTeufel has no updates.

My Mood:

5 yr Member
273 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!

Quote:
Originally Posted by seesaw View Post
--snip--
You make a very good point there. If you run into those issues, be sure to report it to an administrator, with times, the room, and paste the applicable part of the chat.
Community Support Team
IchbinkeinTeufel is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-14-2017, 03:43 PM   #17
Chat Moderator

Tamster has no updates.

My Mood:

5 yr Member
506 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!

Sees i totally agree it is why i never block or ignore a member how can i do my thing if i can't see yours. and Binky you are right too, Mods are just human and sometimes are not all there in the room, they have a life at home and sometimes chat can get laggy and you loose focus.
Anywho thats it i just wanted to give you a pat on the back for seeing how things can get in the rooms.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=APjVO-COYog

YOU LAUGH BECAUSE I AM DIFFERENT, I LAUGH BECAUSE YOU ARE ALL THE SAME

Don't only practice your Art,
But force your way through into its secrets,
For it and Knowledge can
Raise men to the Divine.
Beethoven
Tamster is offline   Reply With Quote