Psych Central

Go Back   Forums at Psych Central > >

advertisement

Old 01-16-2019, 01:17 PM   #1
HappyCrafter
Poohbah

HappyCrafter Project is moving FULL Steam Ahead!!

My Mood: Can I write about my writing?

1,875 hugs
given
Default Can I write about my writing?

Greetings!

I have read that self-promotion is a no no. What about feedback on writing I have put together?

I am a mental health blogger; I have put a short eBook together covering my background and how I became a bully and an internet troll. I will also produce chapters detailing how I turned my life around.

Can I post any of that on here to share what I am doing and, honestly feedback would be helpful. I live on government disability and cannot afford to pay anyone to edit my writing or give me feedback on it.

What can I do here?

Thank you so much!!
Best Always,
Happy Crafter aka Landon Clary Eason

My efforts to increase awareness on mental health issues Secretly Brainwashed to Bully and Troll is in Creative Corner.

Sobriety Fangirl Since 11/16/2007.

Google Blog: RecoveryinBalance.HOW

Health issues: Complex PTSD, Clinical Depression, Traumatic Amnesia from CA/DV, Alcoholism, Chronic Fatigue and Pain, RA, Osteorthritis, TOS, DDD, DJD, Spinal Stenosis, Morbid Obesity, Fibro...
HappyCrafter is online now   Reply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:

advertisement
Old 01-16-2019, 02:34 PM   #2
amandalouise
Wise Elder

amandalouise has no updates.

8 yr Member
727 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!
Default Re: Can I write about my writing?

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyCrafter View Post
Greetings!

I have read that self-promotion is a no no. What about feedback on writing I have put together?

I am a mental health blogger; I have put a short eBook together covering my background and how I became a bully and an internet troll. I will also produce chapters detailing how I turned my life around.

Can I post any of that on here to share what I am doing and, honestly feedback would be helpful. I live on government disability and cannot afford to pay anyone to edit my writing or give me feedback on it.

What can I do here?

Thank you so much!!
Best Always,
as far as I know we are not supposed to post to get others to edit and critique or otherwise promote other websites and blogs but we can place in our signature lines a link to blogs and such.

Im guessing its because psych central cant stay active if we are telling people to go else where and it could in some places be considered exploitation by having the mentally ill doing ones editing and reviewing without pay. kind of like in real life a mental health treatment provider would not ask mentally ill to read their books and blogs and suggest edits for it so that they can publish someday. think of it like this ... if you spent time reading and editing the courage to heal book or sybil or any other authors writing you would expect to be paid for your time and suggestions right. not just some one an author asks you to read and edit their work for free so that they can take all the credit and not credit you for doing the editing. (even editors in real life in america get paid for their time and energy and edits that they make to someones work)

my suggestion is make a blog entry that asks for people to comment on the blog entries any suggestions that they may want to make. then set your blog settings at public so that search engines can list your blog when someone does a google search on topics that you blog about.
amandalouise is offline   Reply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Old 01-16-2019, 03:16 PM   #3
MickeyCheeky
Wise Elder

MickeyCheeky My echo is the only voice coming back

2 yr Member
24k hugs
given
PC PoohBah!

Thank you for making this thread, HappyCrafter! I'd be interested in knowing as well. I hope you'll get an answer soon. Sending many hugs to you
MickeyCheeky is offline   Reply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Hugs from:
Old 01-16-2019, 03:42 PM   #4
Little Cat
Crazy cat lady

Little Cat Biker

3 yr Member
3,592 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!

Lots k forward to hearing more Happy Crafter and good luck!
Little Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Old 01-16-2019, 07:29 PM   #5
HappyCrafter
Poohbah

1,875 hugs
given

Quote:
Originally Posted by amandalouise View Post
as far as I know we are not supposed to post to get others to edit and critique or otherwise promote other websites and blogs but we can place in our signature lines a link to blogs and such.

Im guessing its because psych central cant stay active if we are telling people to go else where and it could in some places be considered exploitation by having the mentally ill doing ones editing and reviewing without pay. kind of like in real life a mental health treatment provider would not ask mentally ill to read their books and blogs and suggest edits for it so that they can publish someday. think of it like this ... if you spent time reading and editing the courage to heal book or sybil or any other authors writing you would expect to be paid for your time and suggestions right. not just some one an author asks you to read and edit their work for free so that they can take all the credit and not credit you for doing the editing. (even editors in real life in america get paid for their time and energy and edits that they make to someones work)

my suggestion is make a blog entry that asks for people to comment on the blog entries any suggestions that they may want to make. then set your blog settings at public so that search engines can list your blog when someone does a google search on topics that you blog about.
Hi, AmandaLouise,

Thank you for your feedback! I have an excellent writing software program I love and use all the time. I don't need help with editing.

What blog are you referring to?

Thanks,
HappyCrafter

My efforts to increase awareness on mental health issues Secretly Brainwashed to Bully and Troll is in Creative Corner.

Health issues: Complex PTSD, Clinical Depression, Traumatic Amnesia from CA/DV, Alcoholism, Chronic Fatigue and Pain, RA, Osteorthritis, TOS, DDD, DJD, Spinal Stenosis, Morbid Obesity, Fibro...
"Thanks for this!" says:
Hugs from:
Old 01-16-2019, 07:32 PM   #6
HappyCrafter
Poohbah

1,875 hugs
given

Quote:
Originally Posted by amandalouise View Post

I see where I posted about paying someone to edit. I meant I can't pay someone to look over my writing and so forth. My bad.

"Thanks for this!" says:
Old 01-17-2019, 08:09 AM   #7
DocJohn
Your Host
Chat Leader

DocJohn is feeling better...

10 yr Member
134 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!

If you're here to give or get mental health support, that is the primary purpose of our little online community.

Since I see you've been here a year and a half with us and have over 1,000+ posts, I'd say you're here for the right reasons. Since you're an established member here, I think it would be fine to post your book chapters in order to gain some feedback. (Can't guarantee any results from doing so, tho...)

However, I might also suggest that you find an amateur writing community online, where you'd be in the company of fellow writers, for additional feedback, if you're open to it.

Best,
DocJohn
Hugs from:
Old 01-17-2019, 11:01 AM   #8
HappyCrafter
Poohbah

1,875 hugs
given

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocJohn View Post
If you're here to give or get mental health support, that is the primary purpose of our little online community.

Since I see you've been here a year and a half with us and have over 1,000+ posts, I'd say you're here for the right reasons. Since you're an established member here, I think it would be fine to post your book chapters in order to gain some feedback. (Can't guarantee any results from doing so, tho...)

However, I might also suggest that you find an amateur writing community online, where you'd be in the company of fellow writers, for additional feedback, if you're open to it.

Best,
DocJohn
DocJohn,

I cannot thank you enough!!
You made my day!!

Also, I am happy here. I feel at home and am making friends. I hope to help people with my writing. I want people to see that a life that begin in child abuse and domestic violence can change into a happy, productive life.

Best Always,

Last edited by HappyCrafter; 01-17-2019 at 11:14 AM..
"Thanks for this!" says:
Old 01-17-2019, 11:10 AM   #9
HappyCrafter
Poohbah

1,875 hugs
given

Hi, DocJohn,

Me again.

Which board do I post it under?

Thank you again!
xoxox
HappyCrafter

Old 01-17-2019, 11:17 AM   #10
unaluna
Elder Harridan x-hankster

unaluna - Lee Van Cleef fangirl

5 yr Member
38.8k hugs
given
PC PoohBah!

Crafter - maybe in the Blogs tic above? Idk.
unaluna is online now   Reply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Hugs from: