My Mood: New politics policy for Current Events forum

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
10 yr Member
134 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!
Arrow New politics policy for Current Events forum

After discussion with many members and our community support team, I've come to the conclusion that it seems best to keep the majority of political discussions out of the Current Events forum. There are literally hundreds of online communities you can visit if you're into politics. We are simply not set up to best serve our community's primary mission -- helping people with mental health concerns -- with the time & energy it takes to oversee such often-times rancorous political discussions.

You can continue your political discussions in the social group that a member setup to have them.

We will allow for limited political discussion that is directly related to a mental health policy or advocacy issue (or similar topics, like psychiatry or psychology) in the Current Events forum. It has to be DIRECTLY related to such topics. For instance, discussion of the 21st Century Cures Act in the US would be appropriate as a new topic for the Current Events forum under this policy, since it included a significant mental health component in the law. This policy takes effect Jan. 1, 2017.

I appreciate this will make some members unhappy and we do not do this lightly. But the community support team and I all feel it is in the community's best overall interest.

Best,
DocJohn

advertisement
Old 12-29-2016, 10:23 AM   #2
emgreen
Wise Elder

emgreen has no updates.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
5 yr Member
926 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!
Default Re: New politics policy for Current Events forum

I feel this is a knee-jerk reaction to the hijab article that got out of hand; it's been the exception since you banned political discussion until January 1st. The NewsBot already covers mental health topics so, essentially, you're eliminating the current events section altogether. There is a whole world of news & topics falling between mental health issues & unrelated political discussion.

While I understand the mod's job is difficult, I feel that the section has been (on the whole) used responsibly since political discussions were banned...It seems the ban could be made permanent. Take a look at the topics discussed recently & calculate the percentage that are cause for concern. Who cares if someone posts an article about the calendar gaining a second to recalibrate time in 2016? Many of the posts merely provide an opportunity for levity or distraction in the dark times sometimes resulting from mental illness. I hope you will reconsider given the points & suggestions outlined. Banning an entire section due to the bombast of a few is patently unfair, in my humble opinion.
"Thanks for this!" says:
Old 12-29-2016, 10:37 AM   #3
Anonymous50005
Anonymous50005 has no updates. Edit

Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)

I don't think this has anything to do with your thread emgreen. I'm guessing this politics ban was the plan all along from the moment he told us we couldn't discuss politics during the holidays. This announcement is no surprise. Might as well eliminate the current events thread if we have to pretend politics and government don't exist on it. There is a social forum on current events that still discusses politics and isn't subject to the politics ban.

"Thanks for this!" says:
Old 12-29-2016, 10:50 AM   #4
emgreen
Wise Elder

emgreen has no updates.

5 yr Member
926 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lolagrace View Post
There is a social forum on...that still discusses politics and isn't subject to the politics ban.
I realize that, but this can be made clear in BOLD LETTERS at the top of the page in a manner similar to that banning political discussion for the holidays. The non-political/non-psych threads are often an opportunity for enlightenment....Just one example: The thread on self-driving cars overrode my fear of the new technology when it was pointed out that it will allow older folks to drive & maintain their independence in their later years. The blind will also be able to utilize this technology in time. The the thread changed my outlook on an emerging technology. Again, it temporarily took my mind off matters dark if only for a few minutes. If I'm to dwell on the fact that I have a MI/bipolar disorder all the time I might as well shoot myself now...(hyperbole)
"Thanks for this!" says:
Old 12-29-2016, 10:57 AM   #5
Anonymous50005
Anonymous50005 has no updates. Edit

Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)

I just find it odd that he posted this info here rather than on the current events forum to which it pertains.

"Thanks for this!" says:
Old 12-29-2016, 11:00 AM   #6
DocJohn
Your Host
Chat Leader

DocJohn is feeling better...

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
10 yr Member
134 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!

I posted it here because this is where community administrative issues are discussed; we've made exceptions for such discussions in the past, but they really belong on this forum.

To be clear, current events can still be discussed in the Current Events forum that have nothing to do with mental health, as long as you continue to post a clear reason for posting the link or article, and kick off the thoughtful discussion about the topic. This new policy is not related to any specific thread or post and has been in the making for the past few weeks as we spent some time reflecting on that forum's purpose within our community.

This new policy decision only affects political discussions in Current Events.
Old 12-29-2016, 11:05 AM   #7
emgreen
Wise Elder

emgreen has no updates.

5 yr Member
926 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!

I misunderstood your OP. I read it as a blanket ban on discussion of current events. I apologize, Doc John.
"Thanks for this!" says:
Hugs from:
Old 12-30-2016, 06:40 PM   #8
Artchic528
Supreme Artisan

Artchic528 is doing self care...

3 yr Member
218 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!

I can't thank you enough for this, DocJohn. All those arguments arising from political differences were taking a toll on my ability to keep my anger under control. I have anger management issues, and a hair trigger temper (blame it on my red hair I guess), so this is very much a blessing for those like myself.

Arguing over sensitive hot button topics isn't at all supportive and have no place in a mental health forum where we are more sensitive toward things on average than most.

Again, I thank you.

MY BLOG IS NOW CONVENIENTLY LOCATED HERE!!
[UPDATED: 4/30/2017]

LIFE IS TOO SHORT, TOO VALUABLE AND TOO PRECIOUS A THING TO WASTE!!
"Thanks for this!" says:
Old 12-30-2016, 09:04 PM   #9
iPhone
🖤 Controversial 🖤

iPhone I was fighting but I just feel too tired to be fighting

3 yr Member
406 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!

As much as I loved the discussions there, I know that this is all for the best.
Old 12-30-2016, 10:31 PM   #10
emgreen
Wise Elder

emgreen has no updates.

5 yr Member
926 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artchic528 View Post
Arguing over sensitive hot button topics isn't at all supportive and have no place in a mental health forum where we are more sensitive toward things on average than most...
If you can't stand the heat, stay out of the kitchen. We (whoever "WE" is) aren't necessarily "more sensitive towards things on average than most"...Speak for yourself. I take offense at blanket statements stereotyping the MI. I accept/respect the reasoning behind Doc John's decision, but not at all for the reasons you outline.

Last edited by emgreen; 12-30-2016 at 10:51 PM..
"Thanks for this!" says:
Closed Thread