Old 12-21-2014, 06:45 PM #22
Poohbah

Poohbah
Parley has no updates.

3 yr Member
Default Re: trauma and recovery

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xander187 View Post
hey my name is xander and i am a combat vet from afghan. my mos was infantry. i went to basic and ait together. that was 6 months long. then went to airborne hold over for a month and then airborne school for 3 weeks. after all that was done i got 10 days leave so came home to arizona and pruposed to my girlfriend we got married then i left for ft bragg. i was in reseption for2 weeks then got to my unit and they said i was deploying to afghan right now. i got all my cif and rfi gear and got manafested and when they were calling out the names they didnt call mine. so i went on 10 days permisive leave for getting married flew to arizona got my wife and drove to nc. we got an appartment. i was stuck on rear d for awhie which sucked becuase i was pretty much a gardener or a paper pusher my unit got back and they had delta come threw and pick people for their pipeline i tired out but didnt get it because of a neck injurie i got while on a jump i got caught in somebodies shute and fell hard dont remember much. so went back to my unit which was a combination of rangers sf and other groups. i then found out my wife was pregnant. two months later i found out it wasnt mine so she left. and then i got picked for a special mission in afghan area. it was a hush hush mission i had to tell my ffamily that i was going to be doing training and woldnt have acess to a phone. it was about two months long saw alot of hairy ****. did some stuff that goes agains my moraL values but if i didnt three guys would have been blown up. when i got back to my unit some ******** happened and they kicked me out in ten days. now im in a civilian world that makes no sense to me i wish i was back in afghan. i have very bad anxiety. my heart rate is usually over 100 sometimes 140 just sitting and resting i cant sleep. i will wake up screaming or throwing my pillows thinking im in a fight. need help from other vets please reply with some help!!!!
Quote:
my name is xander and cant sleep witht the dreams can anybody help

My name is Parley and I am a non combat Veteran from the United States of America! Welcome to psych central

I can't help with the sleep issue because I honestly believe a part of me doesn't want to sleep It's frustrating at times but I don't dream too often. good luck in figuring things out.
Old 01-28-2015, 01:18 AM #23

Xander187 has no updates.

3 yr Member

i have been out for two years now and the effects are still the same. i fell like i just got out. and i loose my short term memory. i really want a gf but dont know how to meet or find a good girl. i think having somebody in my life would help. anybody have ideaas?
Xander187 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 01-28-2015, 06:50 AM #24
Wise Elder
Community Liaison

Wise Elder
Community Liaison
avlady has no updates.

5 yr Member
28.7k hugs
given
PC PoohBah!

Thank you for serving our country!!! I'm sorry for everything that's happened to you too!!! I often hear about vets that wish they were back where they were overseas. For some reason my head can't grasp that, isn't it alot better being here safe and not have to worry about getting injured anymore? i guess i'm just a coward in my own eyes. My husband was a marine during the cold war so he never saw any battles or went overseas. I am sorry to hear about your girlfriend, that must have been worse than anything. well i hope you feel better and you probably have a doc or t too? good luck
avlady is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 01-28-2015, 05:32 PM #25

3 yr Member

ya alot of vets wish they were back over there. let me put it this way right when i got out my unit went back to afghan the first week there two of my close friends died next week another guy died. you start to think maybe if u were there they wouldnt have died. its all about protecting people your closer with than anybody in the world. and it becomes like a drug getting into firefights your get a rush you cant get anywhere else. after you get over the fear of being shot at you start to like getting into firefights. it sounds crazy but i guess its a coping mechanism. i had a hard time with me ptsd at first i was married in the military got a call that she was pregnant. she had the baby and i got out then the truth came out she had been cheating on me and wanted to say it was mine to get more money. i was a very angry person. my unit turned against me my wife turned on me i had no family i was alone.
Hugs from:
Old 01-28-2015, 06:19 PM #26
Legendary

Legendary
Open Eyes has no updates.

8 yr Member
15k hugs
given
PC PoohBah!

Xander187, have you had treatment for this challenge? If you are still struggling then you need to get back into treatment.

I have read that it takes about 5 years to get back into civilain life again so you really need to be patient and make sure you continue getting the help you need. The brain takes a while to readjust. You are still expressing signs that you are still challenged, not your fault and you need more time. It's really better that your focus be on that first, slowly settle into yourself better rather than trying to find a relationship, "yet". Always remember that yet, because it will come with "patience". Also, some vets have used medical marijuana to help them sleep, ones I have talked to say it has helped a lot.

The mindset you have discribed is something the average person doesn't understand. However, other vets who have experienced combat do understand and that is why support groups help.
Open Eyes is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 01-29-2015, 07:41 PM #27

3 yr Member

i have been in alot of treatment in the past. when i was in the army i was very angry and would lash out alot. i would go to anger managment every week and see a counciler twice a week. when i got out i went to counciling once a week. i got on some meds that help me out. i take serequel ambien and adivan. sometimes i will just be sitting watching tv and my pulse is 140. my anxiety is so high that my heart is pumping twice the normal. my doctor is very worried about it. and as far as the counciling goes. i didnt think it helped that much. you go once or twice a week and talk to somebody who can not relate at all to what you are talking about and pay over $50 per session. i bought a journal for $7 and write in it everyday. and pretty much get the same results. im not the kind of person who likes to sit down and talk about my problems. i kind of just keep to myslelf. i dont understand how going to talk to somebody for a hour helps.
Old 05-08-2015, 07:39 PM #28

awsomekimme61 has no updates.

3 yr Member
3 hugs
given
Unhappy Re: trauma and recovery

You should understand that survivor's guilt can lead you down a very dark road. Your buddy's would not want the same for you. I believe they would want you to live a full happy life in their memory. There's no shame in surviving I believe you survived for a reason and life has a plan for you. Talking about your feelings with your girlfriend would be a start. I wish you well.
awsomekimme61 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 11-23-2015, 04:35 PM #29

awsomekimme61 has no updates.

3 yr Member
3 hugs
given

I was surprised when I was diagnosed with PTSD. It was a few years after I medically retired from the military. I guess the years of seeing bodies caught up with me. What gets me the most are the nightmares. I wake up in a full blown panic and have to get outside to breath. It's exhausting.
awsomekimme61 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 05-11-2016, 10:04 PM #30

kentuckyfrogman has no updates.

2 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Troy View Post
Same here NoWhereToRun...

I guess I have several incidents and an accumulated PTSD...some events I've always remembered, others appear out of the ends of my finger tips as I type.

When I was wounded, the bullet knocked me out. I awoke in the middle of a battle wondering what happened.... images, colors, and a flood of details swirl around the incident.

I wished it would have knocked me out. I always feel like a part of me died in the desert in Iraq, and some areas of the mountain terrain in Afghanistan. A lot of people have referred to me as a hero. I look at it as being a survivor, and living to tell about it. The true hero didn't make it home in my book.
kentuckyfrogman is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote