"I'm scarlet inside"

Fharraige "'Cause in my head there's a Greyhound station"

My Mood: Second nerve block procedure

8 yr Member
9,602 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!
Default Second nerve block procedure

I have chronic lower back pain from a curved spine and degenerative discs. I'm going to my last RF ablation for a while. I had the first set done last October and it lasted about a year, so I was eager to do it again this year.

Not so eager now, though. I had a different doc do my left side. While the pain is going down slowly, I'm not given anything except a muscle relaxer in between sessions. Same doc doing the right side in about an hour. I don't remember being in this much pain last year.

Nurse says it's like a burn, so put ice on it three-four times a day for 20 minutes at a time. Still would like pain killers, but doubt that would happen.

Does anybody else do this?
Fharraige is offline   Reply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Hugs from:

advertisement
Old 01-22-2019, 06:34 AM   #2
LucyD
Grand Poohbah

LucyD Spring is coming..yay

3 yr Member
1,628 hugs
given
Default Re: Second nerve block procedure

I have had nerve blocks that helped a lot after about 5 of them several years ago. The pain has now returned and I've been prescribed physical therapy. Haven't had the motivation to go yet and have transportation problems, too. I have been putting ice on my back and sometimes it helps and sometimes it doesn't. I have a crappy gel pack that is old and need to get a new one. I haven't been using it enough. Going to try the 4 times a day that was suggested to you. This pain is annoying to say the least.

I can't go back to the anesthesiologist who did the nerve block because I have no one to take me there. I would like to go back to him, though. May try to find someone to take me.

Hope your treatments help you. That pain can be unbearable, I know.
LucyD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2019, 06:40 AM   #3
sarahsweets
Poohbah

sarahsweets Humor is my end game..

90 hugs
given

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fharraige View Post
I have chronic lower back pain from a curved spine and degenerative discs. I'm going to my last RF ablation for a while. I had the first set done last October and it lasted about a year, so I was eager to do it again this year.

Not so eager now, though. I had a different doc do my left side. While the pain is going down slowly, I'm not given anything except a muscle relaxer in between sessions. Same doc doing the right side in about an hour. I don't remember being in this much pain last year.

Nurse says it's like a burn, so put ice on it three-four times a day for 20 minutes at a time. Still would like pain killers, but doubt that would happen.

Does anybody else do this?
Hi I am so glad you shared this! My husband just had the injection part pre-ablation and in 2 weeks he goes again. He has horrible back pain that kinda started in the lower back close to the hip from arthritis. He is only 45 so it struck him hard that he had arthritis. Do you think that even though it only lasted a year that it relieved the pain? His doctor is hoping he gets 5 years out of it. He has been seeing this doctor for over a year now and had been given trammadol which I am sure you know does nothing for the severe back pain- at least it didnt for him. He went through the hoops of weight loss(he was only 15lbs overweight) and PT which made him hurt more. I am still trying to understand why doctors prescribe PT when it hurts so much but he did it. Finally before the first procedure the doctor gave him some percocet which, despite the hype around how awful it is really really helps.
sarahsweets is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2019, 05:02 PM   #4
rutro
rutro has no updates.

2 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarahsweets View Post
Hi I am so glad you shared this! My husband just had the injection part pre-ablation and in 2 weeks he goes again. He has horrible back pain that kinda started in the lower back close to the hip from arthritis. He is only 45 so it struck him hard that he had arthritis. Do you think that even though it only lasted a year that it relieved the pain? His doctor is hoping he gets 5 years out of it. He has been seeing this doctor for over a year now and had been given trammadol which I am sure you know does nothing for the severe back pain- at least it didnt for him. He went through the hoops of weight loss(he was only 15lbs overweight) and PT which made him hurt more. I am still trying to understand why doctors prescribe PT when it hurts so much but he did it. Finally before the first procedure the doctor gave him some percocet which, despite the hype around how awful it is really really helps.

From your description of his problem I'm led to think it may be sciatica. That is nerve pain in the 10th degree. Nothing helps. Except perhaps surgery. My first time was a simple matter of removing the disc material that was impinging on the nerve for my left leg. I had burning pain down my buttock and hip then on down my left leg. I was dragging my left leg around for almost a year before I said enough. Went to the hospital one day, surgery the next, walked out the day after pain free....
rutro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2019, 07:21 AM   #5
continuosly blue

continuosly blue has no updates.

5 yr Member
51 hugs
given

Nerve blocks can and do work. But they also can do nothing if they donít have the correct diagnosis or botch the procedure. Iíve never heard of one giving more than a years relief. If pain persists they should give you something for it but unless you find the right doc that can be a very hard thing to do. Most doctors today are afraid of prescribing pain medication because of the ď overdose epidemic ď. All I know is that itís very hard for the legitimate chronic pain sufferers to get the treatment they really need. Itís a sad situation.
Docs will usually go with the most conservative treatment. Physical therapy is usually at the top of the list. Unfortunately, until they come up with a pain medication that is not addictive and actually works, leaving you able to function in the process, itís going to be a tough road . The problem is most pain docs donít know what the heck theyíre doing.
Itís a day to day thing and all we can do is pray for some relief, someway, somehow. Good luck.....
continuosly blue is offline   Reply With Quote