Psych Central

Go Back   Forums at Psych Central > >

advertisement

Old 11-03-2018, 02:18 PM   #1
Pfrog

Pfrog has no updates.

141 hugs
given
Exclamation An Open Letter To Those That Treat Chronic Pain Sufferers ...

Dear Practitioner(s):

I know that y'all are the "professionals", however, the very next one of you that tells me to be more active or to get more exercise is likely to get the ever living @#$%! slapped right out of you!

If you only knew how discompassionate this advice is and how utterly stupid you sound when you say it to me ... Maybe I need to tell you exactly that the next time you offer this advice.

Do you actually think that I enjoy not being able to do the things I love and used to be able to do (nature walks, vigorous hikes, fishing, etc.), or just how badly I grieve the loss of them because it simply hurts too much to engage in them anymore?

I've learned to manage my usual pain levels (3-5 on a daily basis), but even just 20-30 minutes of light to moderate activity sends my pain levels spiking anywhere from a 7-9 to right off your effing "what's your number" pain chart, not to mention totally knocking me out for a day or two afterwards!

So eff your "be more active and get more exercise" advice, thank you very much!

It saddens me to know that even those we pay to "help" us cannot even begin to fathom what it is like to live with chronic pain as they, themselves, do not suffer with it.

With all that being said, nobody's going to get slapped, nor do I wish this kind of pain on anyone so they could understand what it's like to live with it.

I just needed to ventilate is all ... Thanks for listening!

Pfrog is offline   Reply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:

advertisement
Old 11-03-2018, 02:36 PM   #2
unaluna
Elder Harridan x-hankster

unaluna "President Coma Ti Chiamo" i.e., pres. watsisname

My Mood: An Open Letter To Those That Treat Chronic Pain Sufferers ...

5 yr Member
36.8k hugs
given
PC PoohBah!
Default Re: An Open Letter To Those That Treat Chronic Pain Sufferers ...

Pfrog - im so sorry to hear this.

I hurt my knee this spring, and have spent the past 6 months pretty much in bed, which has helped my knee get better, but brought a different set of problems. Like they say, getting old sure aint for sissies. Signed your pal!
unaluna is offline   Reply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Hugs from:
Old 11-03-2018, 03:55 PM   #3
lizardlady
Legendary

lizardlady hurts like holy heck

10 yr Member
5,068 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!
Thumbs up Re: An Open Letter To Those That Treat Chronic Pain Sufferers ...

Excellent post pfrog!
lizardlady is offline   Reply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Hugs from:
Old 11-03-2018, 07:44 PM   #4
*Laurie*
Account Suspended
*Laurie* has no updates.

3 yr Member
5,400 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!

Thank you.

I am having rather extreme Achilles tendonitis, been going on since early summer. I have not seen my GP because I know that all she'll say is, "lose weight...but with the meds you're on...hmm..." *shrug*

And then I'll tell her that even when I danced ballet until age 41, before I agreed to poison myself with Seroquel, I had all kinds of tendonitis in my right foot. I weighed 110 lbs.

But, she won't believe me - or she'll tell herself she doesn't believe me, because she won't know what the flying eff to tell me to do to relieve the pain.
*Laurie* is offline   Reply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Hugs from:
Old 11-16-2018, 05:44 PM   #5
rutro
rutro has no updates.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pfrog View Post
Dear Practitioner(s):

I know that y'all are the "professionals", however, the very next one of you that tells me to be more active or to get more exercise is likely to get the ever living @#$%! slapped right out of you!

If you only knew how discompassionate this advice is and how utterly stupid you sound when you say it to me ... Maybe I need to tell you exactly that the next time you offer this advice.

Do you actually think that I enjoy not being able to do the things I love and used to be able to do (nature walks, vigorous hikes, fishing, etc.), or just how badly I grieve the loss of them because it simply hurts too much to engage in them anymore?

I've learned to manage my usual pain levels (3-5 on a daily basis), but even just 20-30 minutes of light to moderate activity sends my pain levels spiking anywhere from a 7-9 to right off your effing "what's your number" pain chart, not to mention totally knocking me out for a day or two afterwards!

It saddens me to know that even those we pay to "help" us cannot even begin to fathom what it is like to live with chronic pain as they, themselves, do not suffer with it.

With all that being said, nobody's going to get slapped, nor do I wish this kind of pain on anyone so they could understand what it's like to live with it.

Pfrog I hear ya brother. I feel the very same. I've been weaning off the Methadone. Taking that since 2005 with very good results. Having a life. Not so much anymore. I was at 50mg daily. Now I'm at 10mg. and all that bad stuff with my back and neck is back. Plus all the stuff you go through when the body wants the pain to stop again..... and it won't, just gets worse . So where do we go from here, ain't no where to go except up from where I am.
rutro is offline   Reply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Hugs from:
Old 11-17-2018, 06:51 AM   #6
LifelongLoner

LifelongLoner It's the same old, same old. And, I do mean old!

32 hugs
given

Quote:
Originally Posted by *Laurie* View Post
Thank you.

I am having rather extreme Achilles tendonitis, been going on since early summer. I have not seen my GP because I know that all she'll say is, "lose weight...but with the meds you're on...hmm..." *shrug*

And then I'll tell her that even when I danced ballet until age 41, before I agreed to poison myself with Seroquel, I had all kinds of tendonitis in my right foot. I weighed 110 lbs.

But, she won't believe me - or she'll tell herself she doesn't believe me, because she won't know what the flying eff to tell me to do to relieve the pain.
I also have chronic tendonitis in my left foot. My feet are very narrow and are different sizes. The smaller (left) foot really takes a beating because even with orthotics, the shoe on the left foot is too big. I've had chronic plantar fasciitis for months now. I also have arthritis in both feet; the pain is off the charts and sometimes I can barely walk or stand (especially after exercising). I also need to lose weight but when you can't walk without pain, well, that's very hard to do. I tried a modest exercise program and developed sciatica. I know that I need to stretch more. Finding the discipline to lose weight and to stretch when you're depressed and don't feel well is not easy.
LifelongLoner is offline   Reply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Hugs from:
Old 11-19-2018, 04:14 PM   #7
LucyD
Poohbah

LucyD Can't wait till 2019!

3 yr Member
1,116 hugs
given

I love your letter pfrog! I'd also like to give it to my doctor that prescribed physical therapy and nothing for pain! Thankfully, I have some pain medicine that helps anyways with the help of ice packs and hot socking salt baths. But it always returns usually the next day...sigh.
Hugs from:
Old 12-03-2018, 10:26 PM   #8
Chrain
Chrain has no updates.

5 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pfrog View Post
Dear Practitioner(s):

Practitioner here,
First off I equally despise the 0-10 scale, however we are pretty much forced to use it. We are asked to objectify a very subjective experience and there isn't many alternatives that are considered acceptable.

In terms of the need for exercise. It is true that is beneficial and will help. I Definitely understand your frustration with the difficulty exercising. It's not an uncommon problem. However I will commonly stress the importance of exercise because it is important and not just for pain reasons. Where I think some practioners go wrong is that they have unrealistic expectations of exercise and demonstrate a lack of empathy on why it may be so difficult.
I only mention it because most likely the practioner working with you has you best interest in mind, they just need to improve their approach.
Thanks for your feedback
Chrain
Chrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2018, 12:38 PM   #9
Pfrog

Pfrog has no updates.

141 hugs
given
Exclamation Re: An Open Letter To Those That Treat Chronic Pain Sufferers ...

Okay, Pfrog ... Now is the time to practice the "If you can't say something nice, then don't say anything at all." thingy ...

I'm sure the previous poster meant well, but ...

Pfrog is offline   Reply With Quote