Psych Central

Go Back   Forums at Psych Central > >

advertisement

Old 12-06-2017, 02:47 PM   #1
Mrs.Butterfly

Mrs.Butterfly flying through the winds of change.

My Mood: Serious question about chronic pain.

19 hugs
given
Question Serious question about chronic pain.

Hello everyone.

I hope you all are having an easy going, hopefully, pain free day.

This is my first time posting in this section, but I figured this wouldn't hurt. I have some questions and would really appreciate some advice from people with similar feelings.

So, I am in my 20's and I have struggled with chronic, daily pain for years now. I am only now figuring out my health, and how to better take care of myself. I have found a wonderful PCP, and she listens when I have struggled. However, I have been nervous to open up to her how I am in daily pain. Because I am fearful of being labeled as a hypochondriac, or that it is "just something that will go away".

I have different kinds of anemia, but my wonderful anemia doctor (I have two separate doctors), say that this pain is not having to do with the anemia. Since the treatment for my anemia doesn't seem to alleviate the pain I have all time.

(Please don't judge this)

For a while now, I've wondered if I have fibromyalgia. I would like to speak to my doctor about it, for testing. But I am nervous, for different reasons. But the more I deal with it, the more I just want answers.

These are the symptoms I deal with:

- Widespread pain, (made worse when the weather changes - aka sudden cold, change in air pressure/ rain).

- Female time is more painful.

- Tired a lot of the time, (even with rest, caffeine, and B12).

What should I do? How do I talk to my doctor about this?

Any help and advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

advertisement
Old 12-06-2017, 07:48 PM   #2
lizardlady
Legendary

lizardlady hurts like holy heck

10 yr Member
5,035 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!
Default Re: Serious question about chronic pain.

No judgment from folks here hom.

It sure sounds like you should talk to your doc about this.
lizardlady is offline   Reply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Old 12-06-2017, 09:16 PM   #3
Mrs.Butterfly

19 hugs
given

I would greatly appreciate advice on how to speak to the doctor about it. I have no idea how to go about it, how to start. That's why I made the thread. For ways to talk about, tips.

I get nervous speaking up, so any advice would be great.
Old 12-08-2017, 05:36 PM   #4
Neenagirl

Neenagirl has no updates.

32 hugs
given

Hi Mrs. Butterfly, I stumbled across this looking for ideas for my husband who is in chronic pain for his back and neck, but ANYWAY!! back to you - I have hard times speaking up too. What I have done is written a list, usually pretty long of all my symptoms or problems and have that list in my hand, even if I am up on the table with one of those paper sheets over me. I don't know why but both times the doctor has spoken up and said something like I see you brought some questions for me...well no, but I have been having trouble with blah, blah, blah. It has worked that that piece of paper has started the conversation for me, and not a tiny note paper, a piece of paper!!

Have you tried asking your anemia doctor if he has any tips on how to broach the subject with your pcp?

Good luck, just DO it!!! you can!!!
gad, bpd, ocd, depression, ptsd, dd, tardive dyskinesia, gabapentin, propanolol, klonopin, cymbalta, noritriptylene, 3L oxygen/night. Special supplements: 1000 iu Vit E, 500 mg Ginko Biloba, 4 servings BCAAs, 10 mg melatonin
Neenagirl is offline   Reply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Hugs from:
Old 12-09-2017, 01:05 AM   #5
Mrs.Butterfly

19 hugs
given

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neenagirl View Post
Hi Mrs. Butterfly, I stumbled across this looking for ideas for my husband who is in chronic pain for his back and neck, but ANYWAY!! back to you - I have hard times speaking up too. What I have done is written a list, usually pretty long of all my symptoms or problems and have that list in my hand, even if I am up on the table with one of those paper sheets over me. I don't know why but both times the doctor has spoken up and said something like I see you brought some questions for me...well no, but I have been having trouble with blah, blah, blah. It has worked that that piece of paper has started the conversation for me, and not a tiny note paper, a piece of paper!!

Have you tried asking your anemia doctor if he has any tips on how to broach the subject with your pcp?

Good luck, just DO it!!! you can!!!
Thank you so much!! I will definitely try that. I haven't, but I'm getting a new doctor for the anemia soon. So I'll probably just write down the symptoms and questions for my PCP.

Thank you so much. I really appreciate this.
Old 12-23-2017, 06:13 PM   #6
Neenagirl

Neenagirl has no updates.

32 hugs
given

Mrs. Butterfly, please let me know how you did...I just got back on this forum today. I am sorry I haven't replied sooner. I hoped the paper idea helped you. Let me know...
gad, bpd, ocd, depression, ptsd, dd, tardive dyskinesia, gabapentin, propanolol, klonopin, cymbalta, noritriptylene, 3L oxygen/night. Special supplements: 1000 iu Vit E, 500 mg Ginko Biloba, 4 servings BCAAs, 10 mg melatonin
Neenagirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2017, 06:54 PM   #7
cavaliers

cavaliers has no updates.

3 yr Member
45 hugs
given

My suggestion would be to write down yr symptons. Make a list....one for yourself that includes the things you mentioned about weather etc. Then go back & simplify, kind of bullet points, & give that to yr doc. Like here's what's going on with me,I have questions & hand it to her/him. That way you don't minimize or forget something or.... if you are like me... change my mind cuz it can wait! There are all kinds of things that can be going on...side effects of meds etc. I was having a bunch minor problems that were totally eliminated by just changing the med to a different brand. Let us know what happens.

/B]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs.Butterfly View Post
Hello everyone.

I hope you all are having an easy going, hopefully, pain free day.

This is my first time posting in this section, but I figured this wouldn't hurt. I have some questions and would really appreciate some advice from people with similar feelings.

So, I am in my 20's and I have struggled with chronic, daily pain for years now. I am only now figuring out my health, and how to better take care of myself. I have found a wonderful PCP, and she listens when I have struggled. However, I have been nervous to open up to her how I am in daily pain. Because I am fearful of being labeled as a hypochondriac, or that it is "just something that will go away".

I have different kinds of anemia, but my wonderful anemia doctor (I have two separate doctors), say that this pain is not having to do with the anemia. Since the treatment for my anemia doesn't seem to alleviate the pain I have all time.

(Please don't judge this)

For a while now, I've wondered if I have fibromyalgia. I would like to speak to my doctor about it, for testing. But I am nervous, for different reasons. But the more I deal with it, the more I just want answers.

These are the symptoms I deal with:

- Widespread pain, (made worse when the weather changes - aka sudden cold, change in air pressure/ rain).

- Female time is more painful.

- Tired a lot of the time, (even with rest, caffeine, and B12).

What should I do? How do I talk to my doctor about this?

Any help and advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.
cavaliers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2018, 03:50 AM   #8
Mrs.Butterfly

19 hugs
given

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neenagirl View Post
Mrs. Butterfly, please let me know how you did...I just got back on this forum today. I am sorry I haven't replied sooner. I hoped the paper idea helped you. Let me know...
No help yet. Starting to get greatly discouraged.
Old 03-30-2018, 12:48 AM   #9
libbyonthelabel
libbyonthelabel has no updates.

Did you talk to your doctor? If so, did they do anything to try to diagnose what's causing your pain? I'm posting this because I had a serious medical condition that went undiagnosed for a long time, so I understand the frustration. It's hard when you don't know what to do, and the doctors don't really understand what you're saying.
libbyonthelabel is offline   Reply With Quote