TerryL
Poohbah

TerryL has no updates.

5 yr Member
1,044 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!
Default Re: Rent-a-family

i read an article last night on this rental family trend in japan and a lot of it is about hiring people to act as wedding dates, fake family members to deceive others so i am not crazy about that part but the part, like in conan's bit, where we can hire people to change our personal histories for the better, to have people who should apologize to us, apologize to us, well, if it has lasting effects then that would be great. we wouldn't need therapy anymore! and there is that part about using it to alleviate loneliness. that would be wonderful too. i had thought that paying someone for companionship might not feel genuine but it has worked for people. it is pricey though so not everyone would be able to afford to try this.

i have to add i have been changing my own personal history. i have been giving to myself what i didn't get in childhood and i must say it has been working for me so far. i look in the mirror and pretend i am my mom etc and i say to myself stuff i wanted to hear when i was growing up. it really has been life-changing. and it's free! so if you have a void to fill or fix, give self-parenting a try!
TerryL is offline   Reply With Quote
Hugs from:
Old 12-02-2018, 02:26 PM   #6
NightNotes
NightNotes has no updates.

My Mood: Rent-a-family

6 hugs
given

There is a rent a friend service in the USA. I guess this would be helpful for some things, such as having someone for support and companionship, especially during stressful situations that one does not want to go through alone. However, I much rather have a real friend who is with me because he/she genuinely likes me and wants to spend time with me.

Renting a friend may be a "better than having nobody" option for some of us, but certainly not the preference.

Sadly though, it seems like the deeper I move into senior citizen status, the less likely that anyone under the age of 50 would befriend me without there being a price or conditions attached to it. Older people are treated like obsolete relics in this society, or it seems that way at times.

By the way, in my opinion, the rent a family concept would not help to heal old traumas that happened with other people in the past. One would always know that the hired family was only playing a role. It would be like taking a placebo pill, but knowing that it is a placebo. There would be little or no effect.
NightNotes is online now   Reply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Hugs from:
Old 12-02-2018, 02:30 PM   #7
Sisabel
Poohbah

Sisabel always trying...

333 hugs
given

Wow! So family issues and loneliness are really, really prevalent thing... often I feel isolated, like Iím the only one... I wonder why itís so hard for people to just be kind to their own family.
Sisabel is offline   Reply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Hugs from:
Old 12-02-2018, 03:22 PM   #8
TerryL
Poohbah

TerryL has no updates.

5 yr Member
1,044 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!

Quote:
Originally Posted by NightNotes View Post
There is a rent a friend service in the USA. I guess this would be helpful for some things, such as having someone for support and companionship, especially during stressful situations that one does not want to go through alone. However, I much rather have a real friend who is with me because he/she genuinely likes me and wants to spend time with me.

Renting a friend may be a "better than having nobody" option for some of us, but certainly not the preference.

Sadly though, it seems like the deeper I move into senior citizen status, the less likely that anyone under the age of 50 would befriend me without there being a price or conditions attached to it. Older people are treated like obsolete relics in this society, or it seems that way at times.

By the way, in my opinion, the rent a family concept would not help to heal old traumas that happened with other people in the past. One would always know that the hired family was only playing a role. It would be like taking a placebo pill, but knowing that it is a placebo. There would be little or no effect.
in the article i read, some rentees began to really bond with their renters but i understand what you are saying about things not always being genuine. but maybe some of the actors are also in the biz because they like helping others. who knows? i do prefer the self-parenting in terms of healing old issues.

as for making friends at an older age, i am a senior too and most seniors where i am have family so yes they are not actively looking for friends but i have met people of all ages at work, or who work near me, at the bus stop, all who seemed to be looking for friends. i spent many years being depressed and lost some friends along the way but now that i feel better i am determined to make up for lost time. i am going to try to be more open to making friends. of course it also depends on having similar interests and being compatible, an ageless search for anyone. but all we can do is try. good luck to you!

i forgot to add one thing that has helped me be more open is the fact that i suffered with invisible emotional pain for so many years that i have become more empathetic and i reach out to others more now because who knows what emotional pain someone might be in?

Last edited by TerryL; 12-02-2018 at 03:52 PM..
"Thanks for this!" says:
Hugs from:
Old 12-02-2018, 03:42 PM   #9
TerryL
Poohbah

TerryL has no updates.

5 yr Member
1,044 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sisabel View Post
Wow! So family issues and loneliness are really, really prevalent thing... often I feel isolated, like Iím the only one... I wonder why itís so hard for people to just be kind to their own family.
(((you are not alone))) family issues and loneliness are very common.
"Thanks for this!" says:
Hugs from:
Old 12-02-2018, 04:12 PM   #10
NightNotes
NightNotes has no updates.

6 hugs
given

Quote:
Originally Posted by TerryL View Post
as for making friends at an older age, i am a senior too and most seniors where i am have family so yes they are not actively looking for friends but i have met people of all ages at work, or who work near me, at the bus stop, all who seemed to be looking for friends. i spent many years being depressed and lost some friends along the way but now that i feel better i am determined to make up for lost time. i am going to try to be more open to making friends. of course it also depends on having similar interests and being compatible, an ageless search for anyone. but all we can do is try. good luck to you!

i forgot to add one thing that has helped me be more open is the fact that i suffered with invisible emotional pain for so many years that i have become more empathetic and i reach out to others more now because who knows what emotional pain someone might be in?
The personality of someone makes a big difference regarding the ease in making new friendships. I have an introverted, withdrawn personality, and so making new friends has never been easy. My age has made it even more difficult, since I'm noticing that less people will initially reach out to me, leaving it up to me to do the reaching out, which I'm not good at. And, for whatever reason, I'm finding that even less people seem interested in getting to know me at my age, which is not too old, but old enough that I've seemed to have crossed into a more isolated world now. Or, maybe it is just something else that has changed about me. I don't really know.

Once I make a friend, I'm very loyal, compassionate, supportive and a good listener. But getting into an actual friendship is the difficult part. I'm not friendless or anything like that, but it would be nice to have more friends. This is my life though. My personality is that of a loner, and I don't see that ever changing, especially now. I am headed into increasing isolation it seems.
NightNotes is online now   Reply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Hugs from: