Community Liaison
raging vortex has no updates.

My Mood: grieving the christmas I never had

5 yr Member
1,860 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!
Default grieving the christmas I never had

I am grieving the christmas I never had.

my mother was never really a christmas person, I guess, and when I was growing up at home she never provided me a christmaas- no presents, no decorated lights, no tree, no christmas songs... christmas in our house was so depressing.

every year as I get older, it does not get easier for me... I grieve for the christmasses I could have had when I was a kid, but I never had

I want to go on a train to see santa claus. I want a christmas tree

I want someone to wish me a merry christmas

Possible trigger:

that's where the longing for the train comes from

I want to see father christmas on the train..

I do..

but I just want a normal christmas with love and pressies

is it too much to ask?
raging vortex is offline   Reply With Quote

advertisement
Old 12-05-2017, 05:26 AM   #2
raging vortex
Cyclonic!.
Community Liaison

5 yr Member
1,860 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!
Default Re: grieving the christmas I never had

I know I sound like a spoiled brat

sorry
Hugs from:
Old 12-06-2017, 02:00 PM   #3
poorlittlefish
poorlittlefish has no updates.

8 yr Member

I kinda grieve too, because Christmas for me was opening presents alone, knowing my mother was on the other side of the door and wanted no part of it, living in an aggressive household and seeing my mother cry because my father would always spend more money than she could afford. When school returned after Christmas I would have to lie to my friends about it all and fake happiness.

As a result I have always absolutely hated Christmas; no-one can understand why it's like a phobia for me. Unlike you, I don't wish I could have great Christmases now, rather I wish I could escape to somewhere where the word wasn't even mentioned.
poorlittlefish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2017, 12:56 AM   #4
Travelinglady
Legendary Wise Elder

Travelinglady is finally up and going.

8 yr Member
15.7k hugs
given
PC PoohBah!

I'm sorry your mom was that way. Now it's time to parent yourself. Ride that train, buy a tree, get some presents, etc. You deserve it!
Old 12-09-2017, 07:15 AM   #5
raging vortex
Cyclonic!.
Community Liaison

5 yr Member
1,860 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!

Quote:
Originally Posted by poorlittlefish View Post
I kinda grieve too, because Christmas for me was opening presents alone, knowing my mother was on the other side of the door and wanted no part of it, living in an aggressive household and seeing my mother cry because my father would always spend more money than she could afford. When school returned after Christmas I would have to lie to my friends about it all and fake happiness.

As a result I have always absolutely hated Christmas; no-one can understand why it's like a phobia for me. Unlike you, I don't wish I could have great Christmases now, rather I wish I could escape to somewhere where the word wasn't even mentioned.

every year I just got my own christmas gifts, and pretended to look shocked on the day I opened them.. pretended I didn't know what they are

sad really

sad
Hugs from:
Old 12-09-2017, 07:17 AM   #6
raging vortex
Cyclonic!.
Community Liaison

5 yr Member
1,860 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travelinglady View Post
I'm sorry your mom was that way. Now it's time to parent yourself. Ride that train, buy a tree, get some presents, etc. You deserve it!

I don't know of many 30 year olds who go on a train intended for kids, but yes... I know. I should really

I wine and wine about this not happening and thisn ot happening, yet I don't actually do it myself
Hugs from:
Old 12-22-2017, 11:59 AM   #7
Ajhhja
Ajhhja has no updates.

My wife also has the hardest time with Christmas because of her parents. Every year they would argue, and every year it was a traumatic experience for her. I'm starting to try to help her cope with Christmas, and learn how to enjoy it for our kids. I told her I know it's hard, but we have to do it for them, so they don't have the same issue. Seems insensitive, but we need to. It's just hard because Christmas is always financially stressful for us. We'll figure it out one of these years. I don't think it'll be this year though, unfortunately.
Ajhhja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2017, 02:26 PM   #8
Pasha
Pasha I Just Hope the Good Lord Knows What This Life Is All About Because I am in the Same Position as When I Started Out

10 yr Member
138 hugs
given

Christmas was nothing special with my family. When I was a kid I was told that my birthday present was new shoes and new the clothes for school was my Christmas present. As I got older the Christmas present became factory second socks and underwear. Then my mother started using presents as an insult. I remember one, “Can I give you a couple of dollars for Christmas, if I give your brothers each $100 I should give you something”. I never accepted any sort of present from her until the day she died.

I had a friend who would hold a Christmas party every year. Her parents were dead and she was not close to her sister. She invited the people she knew who had no close family or whose family lived in another part of the country. Everyone who came always gave her a little something to thank her for her generosity. Maybe you could have a Christmas party. It is not the same as a child’s Christmas, but it still is some sort of Christmas celebration. You could find yourself receiving a gift or two.
Pasha is offline   Reply With Quote
Hugs from:
Old 12-30-2017, 04:56 AM   #9
bpforever1
Grand Member
bpforever1 has no updates.

778 hugs
given

My family is the same. They don't celebrate any holidays or birthdays or anything. I get stuff though when I need it though. I was never deprived. I feel that the holidays are overblown to allow businesses to sell their products. I don't really miss receiving gifts or anything. I miss the family togetherness during the holidays though. I wish my family could have just sat down and had a meal together and talk to each other, instead of the television on and everyone's eyes glued to the programs my dad wanted to watch. My family is not normal. Nobody talks to each other in my family. We shout or dump on each other about our problems but don't listen to each other like a real family. I call my family once in awhile and my mother dumps her problems on me each time, and I never have time to talk. So, I don't miss Christmas gifts or anything but good family time together.
bpforever1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Hugs from:
Old 12-30-2017, 06:16 AM   #10
Anonymous57777
Anonymous57777 has no updates. Edit

Don't feel guilty about how you feel. (You are not a spoiled brat) Think Steve Martin's thoughts about X-mas are very funny:
Silver Bells - Steve Martin & Paul Simon
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HXN72rbXAr0&t=201s