Psych Central

Go Back   Forums at Psych Central > Mental Health Support > Personality Place > Borderline Personality Disorder

advertisement

Old 01-11-2018, 01:28 PM   #1

sonjaward809 Crutches, Day 2. Somebody just carry me please.

My Mood:

3 yr Member
60 hugs
given
Default Bipolar + BPD

I was diagnosed about a month ago and have been trying to wrap my head around the BPD. When I read up on the symptoms I get confused but I've always been a very confused person. But hearing how some people describe how BPD affects them, it makes sense to me. I'm a very impulsive person and any little thing would set me off. My moods are erratic and I don't know how to properly handle certain situations. I have Bipolar as well, so I'm never quite sure what's causing my moods to fluctuate. How can I differentiate between the Bipolar and the BPD? and what's been the most helpful at treating your BPD? I'm on medications and go to therapy, but my therapist hasn't started to treat my BPD yet.

Medications:
Lexapro 20mg
Trileptal 600mg
Risperdal 2mg
Trazodone 200mg
Hydroxyzine 50mg (as needed)
Seroquel 50mg (as needed)
sonjaward809 is offline   Reply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Hugs from:

advertisement
Old 01-12-2018, 02:24 AM   #2
Grand Member
zijax has no updates.

My Mood:

3 hugs
given
Default Re: Bipolar + BPD

As I understand, Bipolar is more about energy levels;fluctuating between mania-high and depression-low. Bpd is more about frequent, uncontrollable mood swings or emotional intensity that last a few hours, Mania and depression can each last for a period of months. I'm sure someone will correct me with a DSM background but I'm speaking from personal experience because I have both. I have more problems with the BPD. Bipolar is more 'friendly' to the general public and psyche scene and can be treated with meds. My Dr. told me there is no medication for BPD. I think it comes from having a traumatic childhood.
zijax is online now   Reply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Hugs from:
Old 01-12-2018, 11:40 AM   #3
Legendary

Trippin2.0 seemingly lost inside her own head….

5 yr Member
614 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!

As I see it, besides when triggered by stress, my BP episodes / mood swings are random.

On the other hand my BPD swings are reactionary, something or rather someone, usually sets them off...

DBT has helped immensely with my BPD problems, meds and T keep my BP manageable.

Dxd BP2 on the 04.06.2010
Dxd BPD and OCPD in 2011

"The best way to make it through with hearts and wrists in tact, is to realise, two out of three aint bad" FOB...
Trippin2.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Hugs from:
Old 01-12-2018, 10:46 PM   #4
Grand Poohbah

TheSadGirl Taking a break

My Mood:

771 hugs
given

Thanks for posting this! I have bipolar and BPD. I take meds for bipolar and do dbt therapy for BPD. I've stopped trying to figure out what symptoms come from where. I'm too tired. Its nice to know I'm not alone though.

Meds: Lithium, Zoloft, Vyvanse
TheSadGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Hugs from:
Old 01-16-2018, 03:47 PM   #5
"I'm scarlet inside"

Fharraige "'Cause in my head there's a Greyhound station"

My Mood:

5 yr Member
6,499 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!

I also have bipolar and BPD, along with anxiety disorders. I do take meds for the bipolar and anxiety. I took DBT a few years ago and it helped with BPD, but I also have a therapist that I talk to that helps with emotion management.

BP Type 1, GAD, PTSD, BPD
Latuda, Artane, Neurontin, Viibryd and some other stuff

My poetry and prose
My Flickr Photostream
Fharraige is offline   Reply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Hugs from:
Old 01-24-2018, 03:14 PM   #6

GoldenSnitch has no updates.

My Mood:

2 yr Member
21 hugs
given

We are suspecting that I may have both as well but havenít been officially diagnosed yet
GoldenSnitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Hugs from:
Old 01-25-2018, 12:16 PM   #7
jcl76 has no updates.

5 yr Member

I have BDP, and "DBT" has made huge strides in my life. Its actually really cool to learn!

I have a really hard time focusing, but I have tried mindfullness and meditation. Its so hard at first, but it takes practice.

Here is a link to one the best videos for anyone that makes a big difference to me. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ssqc...YMwOD8wZjcBZ8D

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonjaward809 View Post
I was diagnosed about a month ago and have been trying to wrap my head around the BPD. When I read up on the symptoms I get confused but I've always been a very confused person. But hearing how some people describe how BPD affects them, it makes sense to me. I'm a very impulsive person and any little thing would set me off. My moods are erratic and I don't know how to properly handle certain situations. I have Bipolar as well, so I'm never quite sure what's causing my moods to fluctuate. How can I differentiate between the Bipolar and the BPD? and what's been the most helpful at treating your BPD? I'm on medications and go to therapy, but my therapist hasn't started to treat my BPD yet.
jcl76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2018, 12:23 PM   #8
jcl76 has no updates.

5 yr Member

There are meds for BPD but not in its intended form. BPD creates a racing mind which leads to quick impulsive decisions. I take a "anti seizure" med that simply slows my mind down a lot. Its helps curb the anxiety with no side affects.

Traumatic childhood can be a root, but not always. My parents never showed me attention, and let me do anything. Never had responsibities for my actions, and offer little to no support in troubled times. SO I never learned coping skills emotionally. When that carries into adulthood it can create havoc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zijax View Post
As I understand, Bipolar is more about energy levels;fluctuating between mania-high and depression-low. Bpd is more about frequent, uncontrollable mood swings or emotional intensity that last a few hours, Mania and depression can each last for a period of months. I'm sure someone will correct me with a DSM background but I'm speaking from personal experience because I have both. I have more problems with the BPD. Bipolar is more 'friendly' to the general public and psyche scene and can be treated with meds. My Dr. told me there is no medication for BPD. I think it comes from having a traumatic childhood.
jcl76 is offline   Reply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Hugs from:
Old 01-31-2018, 06:06 PM   #9
humble_ has no updates.

I have been going to therapy and seeing a psychiatrist for several months now it seems and I've been diagnosed with GAD with rule outs for Bipolar (not sure which type) and BPD. When I first started seeking out help for these issues, I was really quick to dismiss them and found it really hard to believe that I could really be diagnosed with these problems. For so many years I was just comfortable with the idea that I was who I was and that nothing was wrong, I had friends and loved my life, so what was so bad about that? It wasn't really until I graduated from college and moved to a different state for grad school that I realized something was seriously going on. I was suddenly stripped from my college friends and placed in an environment where I had no one but myself to get me through the day, and I struggled, bad.

Fast forward to now, I recently got married and it's been extremely difficult trying to wrap our heads around how I feel and react about things. My husband has made several personal changes in order to make me happy, things I whole heartedly appreciate, though I still struggle with the guilt of making someone else bend so much to fit me in their life. I often find myself agitated with mundane activities like doing the dishes, brushing my hair when it's tangled, finding matching socks in the morning, and putting gas in my car. When things don't go my way or something upsets me, my anxiety goes through the roof and at times I will have a psychotic episode; screaming, throwing things, punching holes in the wall, etc. I have told my partner on several occasions that I hated him and regretted getting married, and have just overall been extremely verbally abusive. After having these episodes, I'm overwhelmed with shame and guilt and find my self spiraling into depression for the day. I definitely understand more now that these are clear cut symptoms of BPD, but am becoming more aware of times when I'm more agitated or excited than normal.

Being a grad student and dealing with these issues has taken such a toll on my health. I have no motivation to do well in classes, and am finding it hard just to get up in the morning. I often make up excuses to dismiss myself from class and tend to push things off to the last minute because I want them done perfectly. Anyway, I could say a lot more but I'm really just looking for any kind of support. Most people aren't willing to understand what I'm dealing with and are quick to say just get over it and push through the hard times, plus I think my therapist hates me.

Also a side note, I am currently on medication for these issues: 100 mg Lamictal and 0.5 mg Ativan as needed.
humble_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2018, 06:52 PM   #10
Community Support Team
Community Liaison
Chat Leader

CANDC has no updates.

3 yr Member
937 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!

Hi Humble. Welcome to Psych Central. Sorry you are finding it hard to start in the morning and having mood swings.

Since you are getting meds, you may want to talk to your psych doctor and tell them some of your recent symptoms that your medicine is not stabilizing you with. They may want to try different meds or adjust the amounts. You should have hope to be more stable by working with psych doctor to find ways to help you cope effectively with life.

I would never tell someone with a mental health challenge to pretend it is not there. It is as real as any physical illness. With a mental illness it can be even more important to communicate to your psychiatrist so they can fine tune your med therapy and be aware of the severity of your situation.

These may be of interest:
https://psychcentral.com/disorders/b...r/living-with/

https://psychcentral.com/lib/dealing...lity-disorder/

https://psychcentral.com/disorders/b...der/treatment/

I took the one less traveled by,
And that has made all the difference."
Robert Frost
CANDC is offline   Reply With Quote