Psych Central

Go Back   Forums at Psych Central > Mental Health Support > Personality Place > Borderline Personality Disorder

advertisement
Unread 03-18-2017, 02:49 PM   #1

cjs2019oneida has no updates.

3 yr Member
Default Borderline personality disorder, recommended medications, what's helped you

I'm struggling with this, I'm on lamictal, ideral and klonopin. I've tried almost every med out there. Ssri's don't worl for me and hardly any snri's. I need some peer support and communication from other members which struggle with this disorder. I fear being out in public, very self conscious and am always in a state of panic. Just some new friends with similar issues going on in their lives would be a relief, I hardly get out to meet new people. And what medications have worked best for you, coping skills you have or what you've done or can do to overcome it. Anyone with bipolar or schizophrenia/schizoaffective can share their comments as well
cjs2019oneida is offline   Reply With Quote

advertisement
Unread 03-18-2017, 03:34 PM   #2
Grand Member

Pastel Kitten is trying to see a more colorful world

My Mood:

643 hugs
given
Default Re: Borderline personality disorder, recommended medications, what's helped you

I'm on lamictal but I'm honestly not sure if it's doing much for me.

My psychiatrist told me that while meds can ease some of our symptoms, DBT is what's going to make the biggest difference. I highly recommend it.

Sadly there is no BPD med. I'd love if this changed in the future.

Dx: BPD & OCD
Rx: Lamictal 200mg

"Why can't I see all the colors that you see?"
Pastel Kitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-18-2017, 05:25 PM   #3

3 yr Member
Default Re: Borderline personality disorder, recommended medications, what's helped you

How long have u been on it
Unread 03-18-2017, 05:44 PM   #4
Poohbah

MobiusPsyche has no updates.

My Mood:

15 hugs
given

Abilify really helped with my anxiety. I take Cymbalta for depression and chronic pain. Therapy had helped the most with my anger ; well, therapy and meditation daily.
Unread 03-18-2017, 06:32 PM   #5

3 yr Member

Any others want to share any success finding the right cocktail? Plz share
Unread 03-18-2017, 06:56 PM   #6
Grand Member

Pastel Kitten is trying to see a more colorful world

My Mood:

643 hugs
given

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjs2019oneida View Post
How long have u been on it
I've been taking it for over a year.

My actual life circumstances have gotten a lot worse in the past year so it's possible that I'm coping a little better with lamictal than I would be without it.

I've been on other meds in the past as well but DBT is really the only thing that's made a noticeable difference in my ability to cope with life.

Dx: BPD & OCD
Rx: Lamictal 200mg

"Why can't I see all the colors that you see?"
Pastel Kitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-18-2017, 07:00 PM   #7
"I'm scarlet inside"

Fharraige "'Cause in my head there's a Greyhound station"

My Mood:

5 yr Member
3,346 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!

I have bipolar, BPD, and anxiety. I'm taking Latuda for the bipolar, and Neurontin and Vistaril for the anxiety.

DBT (dialectical behavioral therapy) is the most helpful for BPD. It's a lot of work but it's great.

BP Type 1, GAD, PTSD, BPD
Latuda, Artane, Neurontin, Vistaril and some other stuff

My poetry and prose
My Flickr Photostream
Fharraige is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-19-2017, 04:00 PM   #8

Puella Non-Grata Wants a new FP

My Mood:

4 hugs
given

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjs2019oneida View Post
I'm struggling with this, I'm on lamictal, ideral and klonopin. I've tried almost every med out there. Ssri's don't worl for me and hardly any snri's. I need some peer support and communication from other members which struggle with this disorder. I fear being out in public, very self conscious and am always in a state of panic. Just some new friends with similar issues going on in their lives would be a relief, I hardly get out to meet new people. And what medications have worked best for you, coping skills you have or what you've done or can do to overcome it. Anyone with bipolar or schizophrenia/schizoaffective can share their comments as well
My DR says it's very possibe to be Bipolar w/ BPD. Meds are great if you have BP but in combinations of therapy to help on the BPD side of things is better. I'm still trying to find the right medications for me. Lamictal 100mg and Risperidone .1mgs worked WONDERS but unfortunately had to stop risperidone and up my dose of lamictal by 100mg. Since then I've been feeling the same as before any medications. Utter BS and depressing.

Propanolol us primarily used for people with heart problems but it's great on a needed basis for anxiety. I use it as needed. When I feel the day is going to be a big one, plop down the shaft it goes.

Diagnoses: Bipolar 2 and BPD

Medications: Lamictal 200mg x2/day, Seroquel 50mg (before bed), Propanolol 10mg as needed

Previous Medications: Zoloft, Depakote, Risperidone
Puella Non-Grata is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-20-2017, 06:12 AM   #9
moonlitwish has no updates.

My Mood:

I'm on Lamictal for the moods swings and Neurotin for the anxiety. DBT didn't do much for me but sleep has been my saving grace. I was in a chronic state of sleep deprivation from lack of quality sleep. Doc gave me Vistaril to help me sleep but it made me too groggy so once sleep patterns were established I stopped that. Now I'm on the hunt to figure out why I sleep so poorly so I can stop spending 10 hours in bed to only get 5-6 hours of real rest. Actually I find that when I don't sleep, it's like I'm not on my meds. Which makes me think they aren't doing much and I could probably go off of them but I'm not in a position to take that chance right now to see.
moonlitwish is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-20-2017, 03:12 PM   #10
ScrewedUpMe has no updates.

My Mood:

3 yr Member
72 hugs
given

I have found Quetiapine to be an amazing drug to calm my racing thoughts, help me sleep and just generally make me a bit more chilled out.

I also take Citalopram for depression. This combination seems to work for me although obviously doesn't 'cure' BPD and I also would highly recommend DBT which I am doing as well.
ScrewedUpMe is offline   Reply With Quote