Psych Central

Go Back   Forums at Psych Central > General > General Social Chat > Books, Movies, Music and TV Talk

advertisement

Old 01-03-2018, 12:50 AM   #1
Awesoment

seesaw anxious

My Mood:

3 yr Member
376 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!
Default Awaken The Giant Within

I'm reading this book by Anthony Robbins, yes the self-help guru. I am enjoying different aspects of it and thought I would share some of the tidbits here.

"Deep within man dwell those slumbering powers; powers that would astonish him, that he never dreamed of possessing; forces that would revolutionize his life if aroused and put into action."
-Orison Swett Marden

Primary Dx: PTSD and Severe Chronic Treatment Resistant Major Depressive Disorder[/SIGPIC]
Secondary Dx: OCPD, Generalized Anxiety Disorder with mild Agoraphobia.

Meds I've tried: Prozac, Zoloft, Celexa, Effexor, Remeron, Elavil, Wellbutrin, Risperidone, Abilify, Prazosin, Paxil, Trazadone, Tramadol, Topomax, Xanax, Propranolol, Valium, Visteril, Vraylar, Selinor, Clonopin, Ambien

Treatments I've done: CBT, DBT, Transcranial Magnetic Stimulation (TMS), Talk therapy, psychotherapy, exercise, diet, sleeping more, sleeping less...
seesaw is offline   Reply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:

advertisement
Old 01-03-2018, 11:18 PM   #2
Awesoment

seesaw anxious

My Mood:

3 yr Member
376 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!
Default Re: Awaken The Giant Within

This was an interesting little excerpt:

Three Elementary Steps for Change
Step 1: Raise Your Standards
Any time you sincerely want to make a change, the first thing you must do is to raise your standards. "I wrote down all the thing I would no longer accept in my life, all the things I would no longer tolerate, and all the things that I aspired to becoming."

Step 2: Change Your Limiting Beliefs
If you raise your standards but don't really believe you can meet them, you've already sabotaged yourself. You won't even try; you'll be lacking that sense of certainty that allows you to tap the deepest capacity that's within you even as you read this.

Step 3: Change Your Strategy
In order to keep your commitment, you need the best strategies for achieving results.

Primary Dx: PTSD and Severe Chronic Treatment Resistant Major Depressive Disorder[/SIGPIC]

Meds I've tried: Prozac, Zoloft, Celexa, Effexor, Remeron, Elavil, Wellbutrin, Risperidone, Abilify, Prazosin, Paxil, Trazadone, Tramadol, Topomax, Xanax, Propranolol, Valium, Visteril, Vraylar, Selinor, Clonopin, Ambien

Treatments I've done: CBT, DBT, Transcranial Magnetic Stimulation (TMS), Talk therapy, psychotherapy, exercise, diet, sleeping more, sleeping less...
"Thanks for this!" says:
Old 01-12-2018, 10:25 PM   #3
Awesoment

seesaw anxious

My Mood:

3 yr Member
376 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!

Here's a quote from tonight's reading, which was really profound.

"Know that it's your decisions, and not your conditions, that determine your destiny."

Basically saying that no matter what circumstance we find ourselves in, it's our choice how we respond to that circumstance, and that choice determines our destiny.

Old 01-12-2018, 10:50 PM   #4
Veteran Member

cielpur has no updates.

3 yr Member
137 hugs
given

Quote:
Originally Posted by seesaw View Post

"Know that it's your decisions, and not your conditions, that determine your destiny."

Basically saying that no matter what circumstance we find ourselves in, it's our choice how we respond to that circumstance, and that choice determines our destiny.
It's true. Our decisions create our conditions, that determine our destiny. Cause and effect. That's how I view life. Make a wrong decision it can negatively impact your life in ways you couldn't imagine. Make a great decision, and you're bestowed with great fortune and happiness. Life isn't that black and white, but I do think our decisions are what creates our realities.
cielpur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2018, 10:52 PM   #5
Poohbah

FallDuskTrain has no updates.

5 hugs
given

Quote:
Originally Posted by seesaw View Post

I was debating on this one for a while last week, while I was reading this book (per your suggestion),
While the above is absolutely true in theory, at times it might be difficult to put into practice because of the inequality in the society. Some people have it much harder than others and they donít have the agency to think that a better life and hope is possible.
I think of all those people who are born into extreme poverty and living in sufferable conditions (armed violence, lack of love, heavy drugs and alcohol use, no education, sometimes no food or water). And I start debating the validity of that quote when I think of such reality.
Yes, even in the worst conditions you can decide to act differently but how can one do so when she/he has hundreds of more obstacles in front of her.
I would love to hear contradictory thoughts and arguments on this because my thinking makes me sad
Old 01-12-2018, 11:00 PM   #6
Veteran Member

cielpur has no updates.

3 yr Member
137 hugs
given

This is why I don't believe in "luck." Everything happens for a reason, hence the universal law of cause and effect: Your life reactions to events and to people determine how you feel and behave. Your life conditions create "effects." Your thoughts create "causes." Your thoughts give meaning to circumstances. Your thoughts manifest your own reality. Your life experience is a reflection of your thought's manifestations.

Right now I'm trying to ask myself these questions, so that I can change my thoughts and change my life conditions:

How are my thoughts causing, creating and maintaining my current life circumstances?
How can I begin interpreting my world differently?
How can I change my patterns of thinking?
How can I model other peopleís successful behaviors, habits, decisions, thoughts and actions?

If I can figure out the answers to these questions, I hope that I can change my thoughts, and as a result, change my life for the better.
cielpur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2018, 11:19 PM   #7
Awesoment

seesaw anxious

My Mood:

3 yr Member
376 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!

Quote:
Originally Posted by FallDuskTrain View Post
I was debating on this one for a while last week, while I was reading this book (per your suggestion),
While the above is absolutely true in theory, at times it might be difficult to put into practice because of the inequality in the society. Some people have it much harder than others and they donít have the agency to think that a better life and hope is possible.
I think of all those people who are born into extreme poverty and living in sufferable conditions (armed violence, lack of love, heavy drugs and alcohol use, no education, sometimes no food or water). And I start debating the validity of that quote when I think of such reality.
Yes, even in the worst conditions you can decide to act differently but how can one do so when she/he has hundreds of more obstacles in front of her.
I would love to hear contradictory thoughts and arguments on this because my thinking makes me sad
Robbins actually addresses this idea though in the book. Anyone, no matter his conditions and environment, can control his own destiny through his decisions. It doesn't matter what environment you were born into, you have the ability to decide what you will do and what you will focus on.

He gives the example of the guy who created Honda, and how many times he faced adversity that was no doing of his own. Like an earthquake leveling his factory. He always decided he would move forward and figure out something, would not accept anything less, and built Honda to what it is today.

The guy who was quadripeligic since he was 14, and chose to face his challenges and go to school and then ran the California Department of Disability. The guy can't move from the neck down, and it's not his fault, but he CHOSE how he would respond to his conditions, to his circumstances. The point of his book is that we can all choose our own destiny by deciding how we will respond to our circumstances.

I cannot change the trauma I lived through that created my PTSD. But I can decide every day how I will react when I'm triggered, what I will do to care for myself, and how I will respond to the world. I can decide to make a commitment to my recovery.

Obviously things happen that we cannot control, but we can control how we react. We can decide how we react and what we will do in response.

Seesaw

Old 01-12-2018, 11:21 PM   #8
Awesoment

seesaw anxious

My Mood:

3 yr Member
376 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cielpur View Post
This is why I don't believe in "luck." Everything happens for a reason, hence the universal law of cause and effect: Your life reactions to events and to people determine how you feel and behave. Your life conditions create "effects." Your thoughts create "causes." Your thoughts give meaning to circumstances. Your thoughts manifest your own reality. Your life experience is a reflection of your thought's manifestations.

Right now I'm trying to ask myself these questions, so that I can change my thoughts and change my life conditions:

How are my thoughts causing, creating and maintaining my current life circumstances?
How can I begin interpreting my world differently?
How can I change my patterns of thinking?
How can I model other peopleís successful behaviors, habits, decisions, thoughts and actions?

If I can figure out the answers to these questions, I hope that I can change my thoughts, and as a result, change my life for the better.
You should really read this book then, because he talks about ALL those things. I checked my own from my local library. Actually had to request it through interlibrary loan, but I'm glad I did because it is SO good. It's really all the things I need to hear right now.