advertisement

Old 07-01-2018, 09:08 PM   #1
Starving2death
Starving2death has no updates.

My Mood: Anorexia and BDD

3 hugs
given
Default Anorexia and BDD

I've had anorexia for 32 years and I developed BDD during that time.

I get so tired of looking in a mirror b/c I'm never satisfied.

Anyway, how's everyone doing? Comment with your current status, or not.
How do y'all cope with this? Do you have any methods that work?
Starving2death is offline   Reply With Quote

advertisement
Old 07-01-2018, 11:09 PM   #2
chickpeayogi

chickpeayogi has no updates.

2 yr Member
Default Re: Anorexia and BDD

I donít have any methods other than the typical ďanorexicĒ things like baggy clothing. I donít own a full length mirror, just a small one in my bathroom for my hair & make up. I donít own tape measures either. Scales are one thing I canít seem to part with - them plus the BDD and the anorexia and my brain is a big old mess.

But overall Iím okay I guess. Į\_(ツ)_/Į
chickpeayogi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2018, 07:14 PM   #3
Blueberrybook
Grand Poohbah

Blueberrybook has no updates.

44 hugs
given

I had anorexia in college. I still haven't 100% gotten over the stupid ED thinking. Some times are worse than others. I recently had to have emergency surgery for a perforated ulcer, and that caused me to lose a lot of weight. Before that, I was actually a normal weight for my height, low but normal. Now my BMI is back to an anorexic BMI and part of me is happy about it. I don't know. I hated my body from about 8th grade up and then got the anorexia in college, recovered from it, did OK a bit, but have had my ups and downs. I wish scales had never been invented.

IDK, I think BDD and eating disorders pretty much go hand in hand.

Bupropion 150 XR, Seroquel 400 mg, Lamictal 400 mg, Clonazepam 1 mg 4/day, Clonidine 0.3 mg, Propanolol 10 mg 3/day, Buspar 30 mg 2/day, Adderall 20 mg, Protonix 20 mg (post-ulcer med), Gabapentin 100 mg 3/day (fibro), Tizandine 4 mg 4/day (fibro)

I shall be telling this with a sigh
Somewhere ages and ages hence:
two roads diverged in a wood, and I -
I took the one less traveled by,
And that has made all the difference.
--Robert Frost
Blueberrybook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2018, 01:59 PM   #4
Innerzone
Elder

Innerzone LOVES autumn!!!!!

8 yr Member
18.2k hugs
given
PC PoohBah!

Hmmm. Definitely not anorexic here. Too thin is even worse for my particular BDD issue. I remember this time of seeing myself in a mirror and was horrified. Couldn't gain weight to save my life though.

Currently, the BDD is having a field day. I just want my brain to STFU.

Edited to clarify that I don't agree BDD goes hand in hand with anorexia, because it isn't just general dissatisfaction with one's body. Also think about BDD issues regarding nose or teeth etc. that are completely unconnected with one's weight.

Last edited by Innerzone; 07-10-2018 at 03:51 PM..
Innerzone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2018, 09:51 AM   #5
PsychoPhil
PsychoPhil has no updates.

16 hugs
given

I am thinking of anorexia as a type of BDD where the issue is related to weight and can be manipulated by eating habits.

My BDD issues aren't linked to weight, at least I never perceived it that way, but I still like to be thin and my BMI has been 17-18 for decades. So I am technically underweight, just bone and muscles. I like myself like that, which earned me my last T's verdict of being mildly anorexic.
Old 08-17-2018, 09:28 AM   #6
waggiedog
Grand Poohbah
Community Liaison

waggiedog Waggiedog has found a home!!!!

5 yr Member
2,615 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!

Hi everyone. Well, all I can DEFINATELY say is.....I'm not many days shy of 60 years old and have had various ED's since I was around 17. Having been a chubby kid through all my childhood, fat teenager (apart from the numerous anorexic spells and constant weight watcher for e rest of those many years.

I've never stopped thinking like an anorexic, totally regardless of my size which could be obese or hospitalised skeleton. My whole family was/is big seemingly by nature (whatever that may mean) we are also mainly "endomorphs". Short in height and typically apple shaped, built for strength and NOT for speed. For myself the barrage of media "ideal size zero" and catwalk type fashion does a lot to harm, but can never get away from that.

I'd say I had/have BDD no matter what size. Binge/starve was my coping mechanism, which I have to say has very slowley abated over years BUT, I am still obsessed by image (I'm not exactly great looking but a lot of make up kinda helps) and still obsessed with food, the magic pill answer (I wish WISH) and weighing the least I can. I'm barely five feet tall, 4' 11" at the last hospital visit!!!! Being very short has meant that every ounce counts. I'm fitish as have four large dogs and work with horses.

My ED's in all of their finery will never just "go" and whilst I know some folk do leave ED's behind, I truely believe I was born with mine and I'll die with mine. Lots of phyical damage has occured due to the severe underweight, the anorexic stages, and a lot of damage from the Bulimic stages (very few teeth that are whole, broken/missing) dodgy digestion and even dodgyer bowels!!!

I think throughout the many different diagnosis of anorexia, bulimia, compulsive eating, binge/starve, bipolar, borderline personality disorder, depression, anxiety and black n white thinking (YES I've had/have them all, but I've ALWAYS had BDD in each and every stage.

That's just what applies to myself of course, and basically only us, within our own mind and brain, know exactly how we think........regardless of the look of our outter shell.

Sending Hugs to you all. X
Old 08-17-2018, 09:29 AM   #7
waggiedog
Grand Poohbah
Community Liaison

waggiedog Waggiedog has found a home!!!!

5 yr Member
2,615 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!

opps PS, soooo sorry about the underlining, HADDNT realised I'd programmed that! X
Old 09-10-2018, 04:28 AM   #8
mwaxy
mwaxy is ever changing

35 hugs
given

Sometimes I can't look at my reflection, can't shower, usually cover up body wise.

I'm less underweight and I hate it. I try to focus on the fact that it will help my health and bones. I'm still underweight but the numbers on the scale and not being a pure skeleton anymore can be highly distressing at times (5 times a week, ughh).

Ive had a number of other stressful events over the past month and a lot of follow up tasks, so I decided to leave the scale alone due to this. It has helped. Usually I'm on the scale every morning but I've done it once in the past month. I hope this can help break the daily cycle.

Anorexia R/BP for 20 years
mwaxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Hugs from: