Psych Central

Go Back   Forums at Psych Central > Mental Health Support > Body Dysmorphic Disorder

advertisement

Old 12-14-2017, 03:36 PM   #1

Vilatus has no updates.

My Mood:

Default How can I feel more confident?

Hi everyone, I'm not sure if this is technically right for this subforum, but this is the closest I can find...

I've struggled with my appearance all my life, and while CBT has helped this along with my depression and anxiety, but I still struggle daily. I don't mind my body so much, it looks ok. I really do not lile my face at all though. I feel like it's way too androgynous, my eyebrows are too thick, and my nose is a little too big. I just feel like it makes me look manly and ugly. Makeup helps, obviously, but I can't really just change the shape of my face obviously. How can I feel more confident about myself??? Everybody says I look nice but I feel disgusting.
Vilatus is offline   Reply With Quote

advertisement
Old 12-14-2017, 08:41 PM   #2

Deejay14 has no updates.

My Mood:

7 hugs
given
Default Re: How can I feel more confident?

Have you thought of getting your eyebrows done at a salon. Eyebrow waxing is pretty cheap.
Old 12-15-2017, 08:53 AM   #3
existing but not living
Community Liaison
shattered sanity has no updates.

My Mood:

5 yr Member
1,454 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!

hope you start feeling better.

((((((hugs))))
shattered sanity is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2018, 04:58 PM   #4
Albie has no updates.

My Mood:

1 hugs
given

I sort of have a similar problem with my body. Eventually decided to have cosmetic surgery. It helped out in one way but caused other issues which I am dealing with now
Albie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2018, 01:12 AM   #5

smallturtle has no updates.

My Mood:

Take care of your skin -- drink water, wash your face, moisturize, wear sunscreen. Brush and floss your teeth twice a day. Search Pinterest or Tumblr for new ways to do your hair and makeup. Go to your local salon and have an aesthetician show you how to do your eyebrows. Wear fun jewelry. Practice taking selfies with different filters and lighting until you have some you are happy with.

Obviously this is very far from a cure, but they are healthy habits and proven self esteem boosters. I hope trying a few brings you a little relief.
smallturtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2018, 04:27 PM   #6
PsychoPhil has no updates.

My Mood:

13 hugs
given

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vilatus View Post
Hi everyone, I'm not sure if this is technically right for this subforum, but this is the closest I can find...

I've struggled with my appearance all my life, and while CBT has helped this along with my depression and anxiety, but I still struggle daily. I don't mind my body so much, it looks ok. I really do not lile my face at all though. I feel like it's way too androgynous, my eyebrows are too thick, and my nose is a little too big. I just feel like it makes me look manly and ugly. Makeup helps, obviously, but I can't really just change the shape of my face obviously. How can I feel more confident about myself??? Everybody says I look nice but I feel disgusting.
If you don't have BDD, what the others suggested may help. If you do, it may not. I think the key question is whether you really feel you look disgusting when everyone else perceives your face as normal. If you have BDD, the more time you spend worrying about your face, the worse you'll get.

Bddfoundation has a lot of useful information on the subject. While BDD and OCD have many similarities, such as compulsive mirror checking or door lock checking as a means to reduce anxiety, people with OCD typically know the door is probably locked, whereas people with BDD are usually convinced they really look ugly.

I hope this helps, and most importantly, that you'll feel better about yourself soon!

« Body | - »