Psych Central

Go Back   Forums at Psych Central > Mental Health Support > Body Dysmorphic Disorder

advertisement
Unread 07-10-2017, 09:09 PM   #1

Vize is testing this feature out

My Mood:

9 hugs
given
Heart Romantic Relationships and Body Dysmorphic Disorder?

Usually, I keep my issues with my image well-hidden in the relationships I've been in.
I feel sort of sick keeping such a major aspect of myself hidden, but it just doesn't seem worth bringing it up.

In the last relationship I was in, however, my significant other eventually learned about my severe issues with my image.
I was very ashamed and embarrassed, so I hid them from my SO initially.

When I did finally acknowledge my issues, my SO ridiculed me for them and seemed to have no understanding of why I was feeling so distressed - nor the faintest hint of compassion.

I was wondering if anyone else had a similar experience to me?

In terms of either hiding their Body Dysmorphic Disorder in the context of a relationship, or receiving a....less than compassionate response when telling a SO about it?
Vize is offline   Reply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Hugs from:

advertisement
Unread 07-13-2017, 02:05 PM   #2

amazinglyso has no updates.

3 yr Member
2 hugs
given
Default Re: Romantic Relationships and Body Dysmorphic Disorder?

Hi Vize,

Really see that you are a brave soul for creating a thread about body dysmorphia. I only came across the newly (recycled) psychological term to describe distortion of self-image a few years ago, so to see it on this forum - totally amazing!. So many people suffer with this condition (especially those who have gone through abuse trauma, not just the media professions and modelling industry). Bulimia once plagued my 20's whilst drink replaced this tool of destruction 20 years on. I look like I am no more than 21 in regards to physical looks and sometimes out to sabotage this when female friends have behaved so threatened by my youthful appearance.
amazinglyso is offline   Reply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Hugs from:
Unread 07-13-2017, 02:15 PM   #3

amazinglyso has no updates.

3 yr Member
2 hugs
given
Default Re: Romantic Relationships and Body Dysmorphic Disorder?

You will be amazed at what others think or feel is attractive - hiding yourself means to punish yourself for how others have made you feel about your physical appearance in the past. I get you totally and also been there - still there a long time after my abuse, yet trying to love and accept myself is still something I really struggle to get to grips and no solution to this issue prevails in modern day psychology.

Read about making a rag doll of yourself as a child when you were first abused and loving it meant to cure the problem, yet have no idea at all if this works?. Must try it myself to let you know.
amazinglyso is offline   Reply With Quote
Hugs from:
Unread 07-13-2017, 04:33 PM   #4

Vize is testing this feature out

My Mood:

9 hugs
given
Heart Re: Romantic Relationships and Body Dysmorphic Disorder?

Thank you so much, amazinglyso, for replying!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by amazinglyso View Post
I only came across the newly (recycled) psychological term to describe distortion of self-image a few years ago, so to see it on this forum - totally amazing!.
Yeah, same with me!! I never even heard the term "Body Dysmorphic Disorder" until about half a year ago. I never realized that what I was suffering from could be formalized into a psychological disorder. Having my symptoms feel cohesive, as though they all originate from a single source, is relieving to me. Before, I just felt confused and overwhelmed by what I thought were a bunch of weird disjointed symptoms resulting from chronically low self-esteem. Now I feel like I can, hopefully, eventually learn to manage my symptoms using established techniques that have helped people with Body Dysmorphic Disorder.
Vize is offline   Reply With Quote