Psych Central

Go Back   Forums at Psych Central > Mental Health Support > Body Dysmorphic Disorder



advertisement
Reply
Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 05-31-2017, 09:47 PM   #1
Member
 
4428247's Avatar
4428247 I'm not even trying anymore
 
Member Since: May 2017
Location: Fort Dix
Posts: 272
My Mood:

58 hugs
given
Default Could someone explain

I hate being ignorant on this because I may or may not have it. I struggle with eating disorders and hate how I look and often see myself differently than I actually look: seeing my nose as really wide, seeing my legs as really fat, seeing my face lopsided one day--fine the next--and then lopsided the other way the next. I don't know if this is BDD. Could someone please just explain what it is in it's entirety?
__________________
----
I am not throwing away my shot
Major Depression, Generalized Anxiety, Borderline Personality Disorder, Self-Harm, ADHD-Inattentive, Dermatillomania
4428247 is offline   Reply With Quote
Hugs from:

advertisement
Unread 06-05-2017, 08:19 PM   #2
Elder
 
amandalouise's Avatar
amandalouise has no updates.
 
Member Since: Mar 2009
Location: at my desk, w/ favorite slippers, coffee and quilt
Posts: 6,785 (SuperPoster!)
My Mood:

8 yr Member
499 hugs
given
Default Re: Could someone explain

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4428247 View Post
I hate being ignorant on this because I may or may not have it. I struggle with eating disorders and hate how I look and often see myself differently than I actually look: seeing my nose as really wide, seeing my legs as really fat, seeing my face lopsided one day--fine the next--and then lopsided the other way the next. I don't know if this is BDD. Could someone please just explain what it is in it's entirety?
in general terms BDD is a mental disorder where a person is obsessed with their body image and focused on their flaws, constantly looking in the mirror, making changes to their appearance ie constantly brushing hair this way and that way putting make up on taking it off putting it on to get a different effect...

one of the things about this here in the USA is eating disorders have to be ruled out. in other words the treatment provider has to decide whether an eating disorder better explains the problems or if BDD better explains the problems.

my suggestion is if you feel you may have any mental problems to contact a treatment provider who can do the diagnostic assessments to diagnose whether your problem is BDD or if its an eating disorder.
amandalouise is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-06-2017, 10:21 PM   #3
Member
 
4428247's Avatar
4428247 I'm not even trying anymore
 
Member Since: May 2017
Location: Fort Dix
Posts: 272
My Mood:

58 hugs
given
Default Re: Could someone explain

Quote:
Originally Posted by amandalouise View Post
in general terms BDD is a mental disorder where a person is obsessed with their body image and focused on their flaws, constantly looking in the mirror, making changes to their appearance ie constantly brushing hair this way and that way putting make up on taking it off putting it on to get a different effect...

one of the things about this here in the USA is eating disorders have to be ruled out. in other words the treatment provider has to decide whether an eating disorder better explains the problems or if BDD better explains the problems.

my suggestion is if you feel you may have any mental problems to contact a treatment provider who can do the diagnostic assessments to diagnose whether your problem is BDD or if its an eating disorder.
Okay, thank you, I know I have an eating disorder so I wouldn't have BDD then?
__________________
----
I am not throwing away my shot
Major Depression, Generalized Anxiety, Borderline Personality Disorder, Self-Harm, ADHD-Inattentive, Dermatillomania
4428247 is offline   Reply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Unread 06-07-2017, 10:24 AM   #4
Elder
 
amandalouise's Avatar
amandalouise has no updates.
 
Member Since: Mar 2009
Location: at my desk, w/ favorite slippers, coffee and quilt
Posts: 6,785 (SuperPoster!)
My Mood:

8 yr Member
499 hugs
given
Default Re: Could someone explain

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4428247 View Post
Okay, thank you, I know I have an eating disorder so I wouldn't have BDD then?
no im not saying whether you have it or not. what I stated was in general a treatment provider in the USA has to make the decision of whether the problems are an eating disorder ....or.... BDD. they would have to decide which fits better.

if you are asking my opinion/ guess my ......... guess......... (not diagnosis). is since you have an eating disorder could very well just be your eating disorder.

my suggestion is if you want to know which it is to contact your treatment providers they will let you know which these problems are called with in you and how to best take care of those problems.
amandalouise is offline   Reply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Unread 06-25-2017, 03:28 PM   #5
Poohbah
 
bronzeowl's Avatar
bronzeowl has no updates.
 
Member Since: Jun 2011
Location: North Carolina
Posts: 1,003
My Mood:

5 yr Member
309 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!
Default Re: Could someone explain

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4428247 View Post
Okay, thank you, I know I have an eating disorder so I wouldn't have BDD then?
Not necessarily. In some cases, they can be comorbid.

Generally, if the person's perceived flaws are in relation to weight and they have other symptoms of an eating disorder, BDD will be ruled out.

However, since you seem to perceive flaws in other areas (such as your nose), I'd think that for you they may actually be comorbid.
__________________
Love is..
a baby smiling at you for the first time
a dog curling up by your side...
and your soulmate kissing your forehead
when he thinks you're sound asleep




OSFED|MDD|GAD|gender dysphoria|Adult child of an alcoholic|AvPD
Effexor 150mg|CBT
bronzeowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:27 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® — Copyright © 2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

advertisement

 

The material on this site is for informational purposes only, and is not a substitute for medical advice,
diagnosis or treatment provided by a qualified health care provider.
Always consult your doctor or mental health professional before trying anything you read here.

 

HomeAbout UsContact UsPrivacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer
Forums HomeCommunity GuidelinesHelp

Helplines and Lifelines