Psych Central

Go Back   Forums at Psych Central > Mental Health Support > Body Dysmorphic Disorder

advertisement
Unread 05-31-2017, 09:47 PM   #1

4428247 I'm not even trying anymore

My Mood:

58 hugs
given
Default Could someone explain

I hate being ignorant on this because I may or may not have it. I struggle with eating disorders and hate how I look and often see myself differently than I actually look: seeing my nose as really wide, seeing my legs as really fat, seeing my face lopsided one day--fine the next--and then lopsided the other way the next. I don't know if this is BDD. Could someone please just explain what it is in it's entirety?
4428247 is offline   Reply With Quote
Hugs from:

advertisement
Unread 06-05-2017, 08:19 PM   #2
Elder

amandalouise has no updates.

My Mood:

8 yr Member
499 hugs
given
Default Re: Could someone explain

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4428247 View Post
I hate being ignorant on this because I may or may not have it. I struggle with eating disorders and hate how I look and often see myself differently than I actually look: seeing my nose as really wide, seeing my legs as really fat, seeing my face lopsided one day--fine the next--and then lopsided the other way the next. I don't know if this is BDD. Could someone please just explain what it is in it's entirety?
in general terms BDD is a mental disorder where a person is obsessed with their body image and focused on their flaws, constantly looking in the mirror, making changes to their appearance ie constantly brushing hair this way and that way putting make up on taking it off putting it on to get a different effect...

one of the things about this here in the USA is eating disorders have to be ruled out. in other words the treatment provider has to decide whether an eating disorder better explains the problems or if BDD better explains the problems.

my suggestion is if you feel you may have any mental problems to contact a treatment provider who can do the diagnostic assessments to diagnose whether your problem is BDD or if its an eating disorder.
amandalouise is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-06-2017, 10:21 PM   #3

4428247 I'm not even trying anymore

My Mood:

58 hugs
given

Quote:
Originally Posted by amandalouise View Post
in general terms BDD is a mental disorder where a person is obsessed with their body image and focused on their flaws, constantly looking in the mirror, making changes to their appearance ie constantly brushing hair this way and that way putting make up on taking it off putting it on to get a different effect...

one of the things about this here in the USA is eating disorders have to be ruled out. in other words the treatment provider has to decide whether an eating disorder better explains the problems or if BDD better explains the problems.

my suggestion is if you feel you may have any mental problems to contact a treatment provider who can do the diagnostic assessments to diagnose whether your problem is BDD or if its an eating disorder.
Okay, thank you, I know I have an eating disorder so I wouldn't have BDD then?
4428247 is offline   Reply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Unread 06-07-2017, 10:24 AM   #4
Elder

amandalouise has no updates.

My Mood:

8 yr Member
499 hugs
given

Quote:
no im not saying whether you have it or not. what I stated was in general a treatment provider in the USA has to make the decision of whether the problems are an eating disorder ....or.... BDD. they would have to decide which fits better.

if you are asking my opinion/ guess my ......... guess......... (not diagnosis). is since you have an eating disorder could very well just be your eating disorder.

my suggestion is if you want to know which it is to contact your treatment providers they will let you know which these problems are called with in you and how to best take care of those problems.
amandalouise is offline   Reply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Unread 06-25-2017, 03:28 PM   #5
Poohbah

bronzeowl has no updates.

My Mood:

5 yr Member
309 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!

Quote:
Not necessarily. In some cases, they can be comorbid.

Generally, if the person's perceived flaws are in relation to weight and they have other symptoms of an eating disorder, BDD will be ruled out.

However, since you seem to perceive flaws in other areas (such as your nose), I'd think that for you they may actually be comorbid.
and your soulmate kissing your forehead
when he thinks you're sound asleep

OSFED|MDD|GAD|gender dysphoria|Adult child of an alcoholic|AvPD
Effexor 150mg|CBT
bronzeowl is offline   Reply With Quote