Psych Central

Go Back   Forums at Psych Central > Mental Health Support > Body Dysmorphic Disorder

advertisement
Unread 12-03-2015, 12:31 PM   #1
existing but not living
Community Liaison
shattered sanity has no updates.

My Mood:

5 yr Member
1,357 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!
Default does anyone else have no pictures of them lying around?

i litirally have none

torn up all the ones taken of me as a child, and anything besides that that may have my picture on is thrown away

couldn't bear to look at myself then, can't bear to look at myself now- even today i don't let anyone take pictures of me.. i'm extremely embarrased by it- and will do anything to get out of it
shattered sanity is offline   Reply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:

advertisement
Unread 12-03-2015, 07:51 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Teddy Bear has no updates.

My Mood:

499 hugs
given
Default Re: does anyone else have no pictures of them lying around?

I never ask for pictures and try to avoid them. I think it's because I don't want any unhappy memories coming back after seeing them.
Hugs from:
Unread 12-03-2015, 09:03 PM   #3
Anonymous37782
Anonymous37782 has no updates. Edit

I don't like pictures of me right now either. I gained a bunch of weight from medication and I feel embarrassed of how I look. I'm slowly loosing it and I keep telling myself when I'm back to my normal size I'll take tons of pictures.
"Thanks for this!" says:
Unread 12-04-2015, 04:32 AM   #4
existing but not living
Community Liaison
shattered sanity has no updates.

My Mood:

5 yr Member
1,357 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsjoggers View Post
I don't like pictures of me right now either. I gained a bunch of weight from medication and I feel embarrassed of how I look. I'm slowly loosing it and I keep telling myself when I'm back to my normal size I'll take tons of pictures.

good luck with that

i remember seeing your thread about weight loss- and know you're focussed on it
shattered sanity is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-04-2015, 10:26 AM   #5
Account Suspended
Takeshi There is only one really serious philosophical problem... it's digital. ;)

2 yr Member
3,406 hugs
given

I have none, except...the one on driver's license. A few months ago, at work, I had to be there to be in one. I was antsy, got a little pissed 'cos I didn't know why I was called to that place for, so as soon as I was done, I got the hell out. That group pic shouldn't be out in the world too long, if anyone asks, I would deny that it was me. One before that, let's see,,that would be 3,4,5 yrs ago, I was in some sort of work program, WITHOUT MY ****ING PERMISSION, this person try to take a picture with me in it, I hid myself from the lens, so that went alright.

I've always hated it, I look worse in pictures, school photos? I passed on them many times. My resume in my country, it needs a photo of my face on it, I took the pic when I was in my worst depression, you can only imagine how bad I look in it, since I'm not retaking it, I don't care how old it is, it stays on my resume.

Why would I keep a record of my face like that? There's one more thing I wanna mention here. I also get a little uncomfortable when someone wants to share their photos with me IRL. Online? I feel a little bad that I have nothing to show in return, my excuses is that I don't have the equipment, I got no camera, threw away the webcam that didn't work anymore.

Webcam is okay but it can be recorded, security cameras and other stuffs, I don't wanna think about it.

Thanks for this post, I might actually ask my parents to get rid of my child photos if they still have them, photos just keeps the past me as a record, the appearance of my figure don't mean much but it bothers me greatly.

I have no body image issues currently and I also burned some photos with someone else on it, I just don't want my past in that picture format.

I wish I had none at all.
Takeshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Hugs from:
Unread 12-06-2015, 07:41 AM   #6
LifeIsCruel has no updates.

My Mood:

3 yr Member
194 hugs
given

No way!
I detest/resist my pic being taken!
LifeIsCruel is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-23-2015, 01:09 PM   #7
🌚🌒🌓🌔🌝🌖🌗🌘🌚

AlwaysChanging2 is praying for relief

My Mood:

2 yr Member
3,346 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!

Heck no! It's not me!!!

Lamictal 200 mg
Prozac 20 mg
AlwaysChanging2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-23-2015, 01:41 PM   #8
Reclusive Old Troll

Skeezyks has no updates.

My Mood:

2 yr Member
7,799 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!

I've destroyed every picture of myself & my family that I had. And no one takes any more!
"Oh, do not say / My spirit is not worn-- / As curtains furl / In the west wind, / I am more withered / Than the chrysanthemums' / Yellow flowers." (From a poem by the poetess Li Ching-Jau, China, Southern Sung period, c. 1125 A.D.)
Skeezyks is offline   Reply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Unread 12-24-2015, 08:44 AM   #9
Whiteroses02 has no updates.

2 yr Member
5 hugs
given

I'm actually the opposite, pictures can be manipulated with angles, positioning, lighting, and cropping. And at best photoshop. So sometimes I cling on to a picture of myself that I feel makes me look smaller or more attractive then real life. It's almost like a fairytale, wishing that's what I looked like in reality.
But of course that's not every picture and the horrible ones will send me into a fit of panic, shame, and embarrassment. It's why I have to approve any tagged pictures of myself on social media. I have been known to call a friend in a panic pleading with them to remove the picture or at the very least to crop me out of It.
Whiteroses02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-31-2015, 08:49 PM   #10
nadiahoney has no updates.

3 yr Member
4 hugs
given

Quote:
Originally Posted by shattered sanity View Post
i litirally have none

torn up all the ones taken of me as a child, and anything besides that that may have my picture on is thrown away

couldn't bear to look at myself then, can't bear to look at myself now- even today i don't let anyone take pictures of me.. i'm extremely embarrased by it- and will do anything to get out of it
Oh my in this day and age you and I are an anomaly. All my friends don't want to be friends with someone who does not have (like them) an existence solely online, all airbrushed and photoshopped and perfect looking. Well I for one refuse to succumb to the b.s. I say it's against my religion but really, I cannot bear to see myself in pics so never ever take them, and I refuse to lie to myself so if one is accidentally taken I refuse to be a liar and photoshop it ad nauseum. You are far from the only one; you are a kindred spirit of those who are sick of the lies. Don't be embarrassed as it's more humiliating to be obsessed with presenting a very, very fake image -- and that's what so many of them are, this is fact btw. In a way we are the "better" people but that won't be recognized, unfortunately. But seriously, think of how shaming it must be to know you took out the bump in your nose and the wrinkles and make your kids and you look perfect, all while knowing just what you did -- this is what I CANNOT bear. How others can do this and act all hunky-dory is beyond me. You know who I mean, namely most people, even those idiotic celebs.
nadiahoney is offline   Reply With Quote