Go Back   Forums at Psych Central > >

advertisement

Old 01-23-2019, 12:07 PM   #11
AspiringAuthor
Veteran Member
AspiringAuthor has no updates.

314 hugs
given
Default Re: So - Treatment Resistant Bipolar.

Oh my! Now I see - you have tried everything, even old APs. I perfectly understand your being terrified of Clozapine - I also had been, but please read up on it and it may not seem as scary after that. I have not read that book but was told at the hospital where they first put me on Clozapine that there is a book written by a UCLA professor on Clozapine - she is schizophrenic and Clozapine totally and almost miraculously changed her life for the better.

When I was prescribed Clozapine, I was also given Metformin to go with it. Also, some sort of non-addictive regularity-promoting powder that you dissolve in water and drink (I can look in my stash of old meds I no longer use to find out what it was). Clozapine greatly slows intestinal motility and care needs to be taken to counteract that. I would take Metamucil (with plenty, plenty of water) with each meal on Clozapine - it not only will help counteract Clozapine but also help you feel full between meals.

Esp. since you were possibly psychotic Clozapine should be considered. Lamictal does not treat psychosis (or prevents it), but Clozapine is a very effective antipsychotic medication. Of course you are squarely treatment-resistant, and have even tried ECT. The only big thing you have not tried is Clozapine.

On the bright side Clozapine very rarely causes Extrapyramidal side effects, esp. in comparison with Haloperidol.

Zyprexa Zydis 5 mg + Zyprexa regular 2.5 mg
Topamax 30 mg
Gabapentin 1200 mg
Melatonin 10 mg
Levoxyl 75 mcg (because I took Lithium in the past)

past medications: Depakote, Lamictal, Lithium, Seroquel, Trazodone, Risperdal, Cogentin, Remerol, Prozac, Amitriptyline, Ambien, Lorazepam, Klonopin, Saphris, Trileptal, Clozapine and Clozapine+Wellbutrin
AspiringAuthor is offline   Reply With Quote
Hugs from:

advertisement
Old 01-23-2019, 04:28 PM   #12
AspiringAuthor
Veteran Member

314 hugs
given

To correct myself - if you have psychotic depression and Lamictal is treating depression and thus eliminating psychosis, then indirectly Lamictal treat psychosis.

Topamax 30 mg
Gabapentin 1200 mg
Melatonin 10 mg

past medications: Depakote, Lamictal, Lithium, Seroquel, Trazodone, Risperdal, Cogentin, Remerol, Prozac, Amitriptyline, Ambien, Lorazepam, Klonopin, Saphris, Trileptal, Clozapine and Clozapine+Wellbutrin
Old 01-23-2019, 06:50 PM   #13
Wander
Grand Magnate

Wander exists in a dualistic state...

My Mood: So - Treatment Resistant Bipolar.

3 yr Member
1,952 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AspiringAuthor View Post
To correct myself - if you have psychotic depression and Lamictal is treating depression and thus eliminating psychosis, then indirectly Lamictal treat psychosis.
Thanks again. My psychosis never has hit me during pure depression. Only during mixed states and mania. If it is not fleeting I am hit with a slew of AP that work usually but maybe it abates by itself. Recently I am seriously worried the med scene is all a sham. They never help, can give bad side effects and make billions for pharmaceutical companies. I think itís a conspiracy. Sort of told my T but he said little. I was worried he would hospitalise me if I said more.

'Let's waste time chasing cars around our heads' Snow Patrol

https://youtu.be/GemKqzILV4w
Wander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2019, 09:19 PM   #14
AspiringAuthor
Veteran Member

314 hugs
given

I am afraid this might be paranoia, but at the same time you have basis in fact since you suffered many side effects without much relief.

I think you need to try Clozapine. You may want to look at it this way: Clozapine is a very old medication, so it has long been off patent and there is no powerful drug company interest behind it, unlike behind modern drugs.

Topamax 30 mg
Gabapentin 1200 mg
Melatonin 10 mg

"Thanks for this!" says:
Old 01-23-2019, 09:38 PM   #15
wildflowerchild25
Grand Magnate

wildflowerchild25 has no updates.

My Mood: So - Treatment Resistant Bipolar.

5 yr Member
5,062 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wander View Post
Thanks again. My psychosis never has hit me during pure depression. Only during mixed states and mania. If it is not fleeting I am hit with a slew of AP that work usually but maybe it abates by itself. Recently I am seriously worried the med scene is all a sham. They never help, can give bad side effects and make billions for pharmaceutical companies. I think itís a conspiracy. Sort of told my T but he said little. I was worried he would hospitalise me if I said more.
I get where youíre coming from because this has been your experience, but for me the current meds Iím on have indeed helped and have no side effects. Iím in all generic stuff too so the drug companies donít get as much. I donít think itís all a complete scam. I hope youíll reconsider the clozapine. I think it may be your last chance. You canít will this away.
Haldol 10mg

Sit back, take a breath, from your gut not your chest, and realize that you're ok.
-The Expendables

And I believe that every broken bone is meant to be, because when it heals it will be stronger than it was before.
-Streetlight Manifesto

Up and down again, like a rollercoaster. I would love to show you not all hope is lost.
-Framing Hanley
wildflowerchild25 is offline   Reply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says: