advertisement
Unread 04-20-2017, 10:57 PM   #1
Veteran Member
flowerbells has no updates.

My Mood:

3 yr Member
20 hugs
given
Default "Behavioral Health Care" -- insultilng??? Yes!

I was okay with the profession being termed "mental health care," or even "psychiatric care." But about 15 years ago, the derogatory term "behavioral health care" started popping up, and very quickly ALL the organizations/clinics/agencies/state offices -- started using "behavioral health" as the term for those of us who have mental illness. To me, "behavioral health" means that (1) the whole purpose of therapy is to teach or "get us" to stop some unwanted behavior. Or behavior that's uncomfortable to the "client/consumer/patient" OR is uncomfortable for the therapist, or the general society. (2) "behavioral health" also means that how people "behave" is voluntary action, since it can be "trained out of you."

I was shocked when our mental health system and clinics suddenly became "behavioral health" clinics. It's disgusting, degrading, and insulting to us all. It also can cause professionals to become misguided and incompetent in any ability of help us out of our pain. "Cognitive Behavioral Therapy" is one such useless practice. Yeah, it "works" for a while, but "how we think is how we act" only goes so far, and no further. CBT delights the field because it is "short term therapy," and, so guess what -- it doesn't cost much! Well, you get what you pay for, Mr. and Ms. Congress. Don't pay for good mental health services, then go ahead and complain about homeless people, "public nuisance" behavior, unfortunate family members who are alone to take care of their loved ones who can't get any mental health benefits at all. One man I know, who lost his way after the mental health drop in centers here were closed down, did what the police considered nuisance behavior, and beat him to death. Woe to all of us involved, esp. now that we have people at the top who want to demolish Social Security and Medicaid.
flowerbells is offline   Reply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:

advertisement
Unread 04-20-2017, 11:14 PM   #2
Neurodivergent

BipolaRNurse Winter is over! Yaaay!!!

My Mood:

5 yr Member
3,186 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!
Default Re: "Behavioral Health Care" -- insultilng??? Yes!

I've long disliked the term "behavioral health". It makes it look like we "behave" badly, and on purpose, as if we have total control over our words and actions when we are experiencing symptoms of our illness.
Klonopin .25-.5 mg 2 x/day PRN
Lamictal 400 mg
Trazodone 100 mg
Zyprexa 5 mg

Please come visit me @ http://bpnurse.com
BipolaRNurse is offline   Reply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Hugs from:
Unread 04-21-2017, 04:20 AM   #3
Poohbah

Jennifer 1967 has no updates.

My Mood:

2 yr Member
1,366 hugs
given

Quote:
Originally Posted by flowerbells View Post
I was okay with the profession being termed "mental health care," or even "psychiatric care." But about 15 years ago, the derogatory term "behavioral health care" started popping up, and very quickly ALL the organizations/clinics/agencies/state offices -- started using "behavioral health" as the term for those of us who have mental illness. To me, "behavioral health" means that (1) the whole purpose of therapy is to teach or "get us" to stop some unwanted behavior. Or behavior that's uncomfortable to the "client/consumer/patient" OR is uncomfortable for the therapist, or the general society. (2) "behavioral health" also means that how people "behave" is voluntary action, since it can be "trained out of you."

I was shocked when our mental health system and clinics suddenly became "behavioral health" clinics. It's disgusting, degrading, and insulting to us all. It also can cause professionals to become misguided and incompetent in any ability of help us out of our pain. "Cognitive Behavioral Therapy" is one such useless practice. Yeah, it "works" for a while, but "how we think is how we act" only goes so far, and no further. CBT delights the field because it is "short term therapy," and, so guess what -- it doesn't cost much! Well, you get what you pay for, Mr. and Ms. Congress. Don't pay for good mental health services, then go ahead and complain about homeless people, "public nuisance" behavior, unfortunate family members who are alone to take care of their loved ones who can't get any mental health benefits at all. One man I know, who lost his way after the mental health drop in centers here were closed down, did what the police considered nuisance behavior, and beat him to death. Woe to all of us involved, esp. now that we have people at the top who want to demolish Social Security and Medicaid.
I guess I've never thought about it that way but you are right. It is kind of insulting to term it that. I've been using DBT in conjunction with CBT and it helps me.
Jennifer 1967 is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-21-2017, 06:56 AM   #4
5150DirtDiva has no updates.

My Mood:

32 hugs
given

Consider that perhaps it was changed to include other care? It's a way of being inclusive. Behavioral health includes not only ways of promoting well-being by preventing or intervening in mental illness such as depression or anxiety, but also has as an aim preventing or intervening in substance abuse or other addictions. It a euphemism to reduce stigma. It is also meant to seem more hopeful, I guess.
5150DirtDiva is online now   Reply With Quote
Hugs from:
Unread 04-21-2017, 06:59 AM   #5
Veteran Member

My Mood:

3 yr Member
20 hugs
given
Angry Re: "Behavioral Health Care" -- insultilng??? Yes!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BipolaRNurse View Post
I've long disliked the term "behavioral health". It makes it look like we "behave" badly, and on purpose, as if we have total control over our words and actions when we are experiencing symptoms of our illness.
Dear BipolaRnurse, I am very glad you are a person who "gets it" about this term. Sigh....my brother has said about some of the issues I get worked u p about (not this one -- he doesn't know about it anyway) "Maybe you need to drop working on this particular issue. There are much more important/urgent needs we need to focus on." Well, I guess he's right. I'm working on the issue of homelessness/low-low-income housing shortage and the current administration's budget plans -- which likely will pass into reality -- to destroy our many safety nets, as well as our 123,000 public libraries, and so much more.
Hugs from:
Unread 04-21-2017, 07:01 AM   #6
Veteran Member

My Mood:

3 yr Member
20 hugs
given

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5150DirtDiva View Post
Consider that perhaps it was changed to include other care? It's a way of being inclusive. Behavioral health includes not only ways of promoting well-being by preventing or intervening in mental illness such as depression or anxiety, but also has as an aim preventing or intervening in substance abuse or other addictions. It a euphemism to reduce stigma. It is also meant to seem more hopeful, I guess.
You wrote in your message, "It is also meant to seem more hopeful, I guess." Yes, I agree, that's likely their desire....but... Yeah, well, I guess it's like the way some very ignorant adults write children's books that are not representative of children's thinking or attitudes. "Noting about us without us" applies to the terms "professionals" and politicians who try to name us.
Hugs from:
Unread 04-21-2017, 07:13 AM   #7
5150DirtDiva has no updates.

My Mood:

32 hugs
given

Quote:
You wrote in your message, "It is also meant to seem more hopeful, I guess." Yes, I agree, that's likely their desire....but... Yeah, well, I guess it's like the way some very ignorant adults write children's books that are not representative of children's thinking or attitudes. "Noting about us without us" applies to the terms "professionals" and politicians who try to name us.
I don't know, I guess this just does not really bother me so much.

What does bother me is the system, I don't care what they call it, the government keeps proving that they do not know they are doing, yet people are clamoring for more government intervention.

If we could remove the 2 middle men (the government and greedy *** insurance companies) and just have a direct pay system, costs would go way down, and competition would ensure better care.

But yes I get it, people want mama and papa government to keep burying us in bureaucracy, making it more difficult and expensive to receive the care we need and require. Despite the fact that the constitution clearly states that the FEDERAL government's only job is to protect us. Everything else is theft. Theft is the only thing the government is actually good at.
5150DirtDiva is online now   Reply With Quote
Hugs from:
Unread 04-21-2017, 09:13 AM   #8
Poohbah

bioChE has no updates.

The term doesn't bother me a bit, just add it to the list of other things we're called. Consumer in a BH system, that's what I am.

Supplements: Taurine, Vitamin B, Guarana, Multivitamin, Inositol
bioChE is online now   Reply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Hugs from:
Unread 04-21-2017, 10:56 AM   #9
Grand Magnate

*Laurie* is a NAMI group facilitator.

My Mood:

2 yr Member
2,499 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!

I am on my local mental health board and we spent an hour last month debating this issue. I also find the term 'behavioral health' very demeaning. It's become a popular term. In no other medical specialty would the term 'behavioral' be used. Makes it sound like mental health is entirely a choice of how we 'behave.'

Compassionate Abiding:
https://mindsetdoc.wordpress.com/201...e- abiding-101/
*Laurie* is online now   Reply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Hugs from:
Unread 04-23-2017, 02:14 AM   #10
luvyrself has no updates.

11 hugs
given

Quote:
Dear BipolaRnurse, I am very glad you are a person who "gets it" about this term. Sigh....my brother has said about some of the issues I get worked u p about (not this one -- he doesn't know about it anyway) "Maybe you need to drop working on this particular issue. There are much more important/urgent needs we need to focus on." Well, I guess he's right. I'm working on the issue of homelessness/low-low-income housing shortage and the current administration's budget plans -- which likely will pass into reality -- to destroy our many safety nets, as well as our 123,000 public libraries, and so much more.
-----whoa, wait a minute, i have a masters in library science. I know the current trend is to cut everything, and computers and online books threaten libraries anyway, but do you know of a specific bill or example? I tried to start a dialog w you on a different thread and they axed it. How can this be a real forum if they cut everything? Yea, there is so much stigma, and it doesnt help with stigma that those who dont get help do commit crimes. Working in the industry u have an opportunity to help more than most of us.
luvyrself is offline   Reply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Hugs from: