Psych Central

Go Back   Forums at Psych Central > Mental Health Support > Autism and Asperger's Syndrome

advertisement

Old 05-23-2018, 06:30 PM   #1
Poohbah
cool09 has no updates.

5 yr Member
8 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!
Default How Asbergers see the World

I heard a psych nurse in the hospital make a statement that those with Asberger's see the World differently. How exactly did he mean it? (I know that I see the World differently than others because speaking and relationships are stumbling blocks for me.) How do you see the World? Where do you excel and where do you falter?
Come on you raver, you seer of visions,
Come on you painter, you piper, you prisoner, and shine! - Pink Floyd
cool09 is offline   Reply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Hugs from:

advertisement
Old 05-26-2018, 09:37 PM   #2
Veteran Member
Talthybius has no updates.

2 yr Member
Default Re: How Asbergers see the World

People can view the world differently. And that includes those with the label 'Asperger syndrome'.

If you want to know what he meant, ask him.

If you want to know 'how I view the world', maybe narrow down the question and make it more specific.
Talthybius is offline   Reply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Hugs from:
Old 05-30-2018, 06:06 AM   #3
Fallen Angel

AlwaysChanging2 wishes all wellness

3 yr Member
3,625 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!

I have like DID...and we see the world in multiple of ways. Even normal people have their differing views...or we would all be the same.

Lamotrigine 350 mg
Fluoxetine 20 mg

“We” is speaking for the system and “I” is talking about me.
AlwaysChanging2 is offline   Reply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Hugs from:
Old 05-31-2018, 10:01 AM   #4
hprodf has no updates.

People with Aspergers have a different perception of the environment around them. They ultimately see the same thing as other people, but its like they see a different view of that thing.

Unlike other forms of Autism, Aspergers have fairly normal cognitive abilities, but where they differ to other people is their understanding of the world around them. The brain processes their environment differently to other people, which is why people with Aspergers often excel with specific skills in which they show exceptional ability, but then struggle to relate to other people who don't have the condition.
hprodf is offline   Reply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Hugs from:
Old 05-31-2018, 12:37 PM   #5
PsychoPhil has no updates.

My Mood:

16 hugs
given

I think general statements of Aspergers seeing the world differently without specifying how have very little value. As humans we don't see reality as it is, but only our subjective version, which will be different for every individual on earth.

Those with a diagnosis of Asperger's will be statistically significantly less accurate than neurotypicals in their inference of others' subjective view of reality. Irony and sarcasm would be examples where neurotypical subjective interpretation diverts from what has really been said, with neurotypicals tending to blame the Aspie for resulting misunderstandings.
Hugs from:
Old 06-01-2018, 03:43 PM   #6

cats! has no updates.

1 hugs
given

I wonder if they were referring to how intensely folks with ASD experience the world? Like for me, lights are bright, noises are loud, etc. We also can pick out patterns more easily, notice details others don't.
cats! is offline   Reply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Hugs from:
Old 06-01-2018, 08:16 PM   #7

MistressStayc trying to make the impossible ok

3 yr Member
24 hugs
given

"Unlike other forms of Autism, Aspergers have fairly normal cognitive abilities"

I am not sure what you mean by "normal" cognitive abilities but people with other forms of autism do not always suffer from cognitive impairments. My son is diagnosed with mild autism, sometimes referred to high functioning autism. This basically means he presented with a language delay when younger among other delays. One of the criteria for diagnosing Asperger's (which is no longer a recognized diagnosis and has been switch to Social Communication Disorder in the DSM V) is that the child did not have delayed language....That said, my son and many other people on the spectrum do not have cognitive impairments. In fact, he frequently makes honor roll and just recently got straight A's. It is called a spectrum for a reason.

"which is why people with Asperger's often excel with specific skills in which they show exceptional ability"

This is a stereotype and misconception. While people with Asperger's tend to be of above average intelligence they do not often have exceptional ability with some specific skill. They may excel at a skill just like anyone else with higher intelligence but to say "exceptional" and "often" is a total misconception...unless you have data to back this up?

- Bipolar 2 and currently unmedicated with the support of my pdoc
...scratch that. Had to throw in the towel and hop on the Lamictal train.
MistressStayc is online now   Reply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Old 06-01-2018, 08:20 PM   #8

MistressStayc trying to make the impossible ok

3 yr Member
24 hugs
given

My apologies to the OP. I can't answer your question since I do not have Asperger's. I just don't like inaccurate information being given as seemingly facts about autism.

- Bipolar 2 and currently unmedicated with the support of my pdoc
...scratch that. Had to throw in the towel and hop on the Lamictal train.
MistressStayc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2018, 08:59 PM   #9

cats! has no updates.

1 hugs
given

Quote:
Originally Posted by MistressStayc View Post
My apologies to the OP. I can't answer your question since I do not have Asperger's. I just don't like inaccurate information being given as seemingly facts about autism.
I hope this comes across as kind and informative, and not me just rocking the boat...
Asperger's syndrome was a previous DSM diagnosis that generally meant autism with no speech delays or intellectual disabilities. This is the source of the stereotype that autism=intellectual disability and aspergers=gifted.
However, if you want to be specific and dispel misconceptions then: autism is autism. The trouble with functioning labels is that there is no consistency in how they're used - this is why aspergers was dropped from the DSM and is now referred to as Autism 1.
In my personal experience, functioning labels have only ever served other people's capacity to validate or dismiss me. They don't reflect what specific supports I need or my development (not to mention I can go from low to high functioning multiple times in a single day lol!).
cats! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2018, 10:09 AM   #10
hprodf has no updates.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MistressStayc View Post
"Unlike other forms of Autism, Aspergers have fairly normal cognitive abilities"

I am not sure what you mean by "normal" cognitive abilities but people with other forms of autism do not always suffer from cognitive impairments. My son is diagnosed with mild autism, sometimes referred to high functioning autism. This basically means he presented with a language delay when younger among other delays. One of the criteria for diagnosing Asperger's (which is no longer a recognized diagnosis and has been switch to Social Communication Disorder in the DSM V) is that the child did not have delayed language....That said, my son and many other people on the spectrum do not have cognitive impairments. In fact, he frequently makes honor roll and just recently got straight A's. It is called a spectrum for a reason.

"which is why people with Asperger's often excel with specific skills in which they show exceptional ability"

This is a stereotype and misconception. While people with Asperger's tend to be of above average intelligence they do not often have exceptional ability with some specific skill. They may excel at a skill just like anyone else with higher intelligence but to say "exceptional" and "often" is a total misconception...unless you have data to back this up?
Apologies if my post has offended you, I didn't have the intention to generalise or suggest anything untrue. You're not wrong, not all people who have autism will suffer from cognitive disabilities, my point was to try and explain common differences that are found between those with aspergers and other forms of autism.

Anyway, if my post is in any way misleading to anyone, please accept my apologies, I'll try to choose my words more carefully in future.
hprodf is offline   Reply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says: