Psych Central

Go Back   Forums at Psych Central > Mental Health Support > Autism and Asperger's Syndrome

advertisement

Old 05-14-2018, 11:02 AM   #1
Bookworm257 Knock knock it's another depressive episode

My Mood:

14 hugs
given
Default Are these symptoms/traits related to aspergers/autim?

Hi. I'm 16 and think I may be "high-func." autistic. I have always struggled with certain things other people didn't seem to struggle with. I have no friends (at all) because of these issues. Here are some of the things that make me feel I have aspergers:

* I can't eat jelly or slimy food textures, I'll involuntarily gag. Same goes with raw broccoli, raisins, and certain tastes

* I can NOT eat spicy food, and all mouth wash has to be alcohol-free. I have to get toothpaste that isn't strongly mint flavored, and I have trouble with Altoids and strong minty stuff

* I have a small amount of interests and hobbies, and I have a really hard time getting into new ones. Whenever someone asks me to watch a new TV show with them I have a very hard time saying yes because it's new and unfamiliar.

* I have major comfort zone issues. I have trouble trying new things and would much prefer doing the same old things I've always done. It took me a few years to finally try Minecraft but I loved it once I did; I just had to wait to get comfortable

* I have trouble with knowing how to socially interact. This is one of the main reasons I have no friends. I just get lost and confused and my mind goes blank. Other people can easily slide into a conversation with people they don't know well but for me it's so difficult and frustrating.

* My parents have frequently told me something I've said is rude or impolite. I will often get confused as to why and not understand. I just don't have a good gauge for that stuff. There are things that are obviously rude, like racist jokes etc, but there are so many little things that I don't understand

* I have trouble processing verbal intructions. Whenever I need to go to the bathroom at a restaurant my parents have to repeat the directions to the restroom mmultiple times.

* Other people just know how to have friends and be social, but it's not natural to me at all.

* My parents have noticed I have these social issues, and have even tried to search for a therapist to help me. They know I have social issues and issues making friends. I have even come crying to them. So I hope I can get them to get me an assesment to see if I could be autistic.
Bookworm257 is offline   Reply With Quote

advertisement
Old 05-15-2018, 11:34 AM   #2
PsychoPhil has no updates.

My Mood:

16 hugs
given
Default Re: Are these symptoms/traits related to aspergers/autim?

Have you tried the standard online tests yet?

https://psychology-tools.com/autism-spectrum-quotient/

https://psychology-tools.com/empathy-quotient/

https://greatergood.berkeley.edu/quizzes/ei_quiz
Old 05-15-2018, 11:46 AM   #3
Veteran Member
Talthybius has no updates.

2 yr Member

A psychologist I once talked to said I had autistic traits and that if I wanted a psychiatrist could diagnose me.

I love broccoli and spicy food.

I used to stay sober, which would be extraordinarily hard for normal people as people pressure you as they feel pressured and you not feeling pressured makes them insecure, but now I drink alcohol.

I had no friends for 11 years or so. But now I have some people I can call friends. I like finding new hobbies and try to obsess over them.

I learned to small talk, kind of. It used to take a lot of energy. Now I am at the point where I can get energy back from small talk.

My parents are near 60. But I still have to reprimand them when they are acting rude.
Talthybius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2018, 08:26 AM   #4
Bookworm257 Knock knock it's another depressive episode

My Mood:

14 hugs
given

I got 15/80 for empathy (which they said is common for aspergers), #8/50 for my autism quotient (significantly indicative of autism/aspergers), and 10/20 for my emotional intelligence. I think it sounds like it. Now I'm gonna have to go to a professional for a real diagnosis.
Bookworm257 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2018, 12:25 PM   #5
Poohbah

TheStrange The least we can do is trying

My Mood:

5 yr Member
63 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!

I hope you will get some answers

~Vox Noctis~
TheStrange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2018, 01:35 AM   #6
Trying to Fly

88Butterfly88 has been enjoying frozen yogurt

My Mood:

2 yr Member
5,154 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!

I think it sounds like you could be on the spectrum.
88Butterfly88 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2018, 06:36 AM   #7

MistressStayc trying to make the impossible ok

3 yr Member
27 hugs
given

I'm curious, besides the obvious pragmatic (social) language deficits and lack of empathy you describe, do you exhibit any other traits associated with being on the spectrum?

Such as....sensory seeking/defensive behavior besides food texture. such as the need for sensory input or an aversion to loud/certain sounds or being touched by people/certain textures. restrictive/repetitive behaviors. issues with change in routine or stress when things don't happen as expected. any other executive functioning or processing issues besides following verbal instructions (is it easier for you if you have visual supports?)... these are all also possible other indicators to consider.

Also did you have a delay with any developmental milestones as a baby/child?... just trying to give you other areas to think about.

- Bipolar 2 and currently unmedicated with the support of my pdoc
...scratch that. Had to throw in the towel and hop on the Lamictal train.
MistressStayc is offline   Reply With Quote