Psych Central

Go Back   Forums at Psych Central > Mental Health Support > Autism and Asperger's Syndrome

advertisement

Old 01-12-2018, 05:41 AM   #1
ExplodingSun56 has no updates.

My Mood:

12 hugs
given
Default They just don't get it

People don't understand autism and aspergers and I hate it. These people piss me off and I hate them all. They digust me. The people who don't understand these things really piss me off. Sorry I have so much hate in me.
ExplodingSun56 is offline   Reply With Quote

advertisement
Old 01-12-2018, 05:30 PM   #2
Poohbah

Nike007 has no updates.

My Mood:

2 yr Member
102 hugs
given
Default Re: They just don't get it

Iím sorry. I understand. My family doesnít see autism in me either, although Iím diagnosed with high functioning autism spectrum disorder. They only think of people on the lower functioning scale.

DX: GAD; ASD; recurrent, treatment-resistant MDD

RX: Prozac 10mg; Ativan 0.5 mg PRN; Trazodone, 50mg (sleep)

Previous RX: Zoloft, 25-75mg; Lexapro 5-15mg; Luvox 25-50mg; Effexor XR 37.5-225mg

I have ASD so please be kind if I say something socially unacceptable. Thank you.
Nike007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2018, 12:05 AM   #3
Veteran Member
MiddayNap has no updates.

My Mood:

2 yr Member

I understand the frustration. It is difficult to communicate your feelings or struggles to people who either dismiss your experiences because their understanding of Autism predates current knowledge-or, worse, is derived exclusively from popular culture-or belittles them. I have encountered the same problem with Tourette's-people's ignorance of the disorder, I mean to say. Just as Autism brings to the average, uninformed mind "Rain Man", it is coprolalia which the average person equates to Tourette's. I have a small lecture-generally not exceeding two minutes-prepared for those who do not understand Tourette's very well and have had to recite it many times.
Have you perhaps thought of making a Power-Point which very briefly explains ASD and then emailing it to everyone mecessary (wohever they may be) so that you can refer them to the power-point if any annoying statements arise? It can be very fun gathering information on a topic and organizing them upon a Power-Point. It is even more fun writing essays, but most people do not like to read essays and instead prefer concise presentations.
MiddayNap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2018, 07:32 AM   #4
Elder

WePow Here

My Mood:

10 yr Member
1,728 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!

You are right. It is actually impossible for anyone to get your level of frustration. Even those of us on the spectrum have a difficult time understanding each otherís battles. Some of us have hearing difficulties; however, others do not.

Autism can be both ablessing and a curse. While THEY will never get us, they will also be in awe of the rare gifts we each bring to the table.
Old 01-19-2018, 11:12 AM   #5

daynrand has no updates.

My Mood:

2 yr Member
7 hugs
given

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExplodingSun56 View Post
People don't understand autism and aspergers and I hate it. These people piss me off and I hate them all. They digust me. The people who don't understand these things really piss me off. Sorry I have so much hate in me.
I know how you feel. You, or possibly others, have labeled the emotion as "hate". But I think it's an understandable & logical set of emotions borne out of the frustration, futility & hopelessness you've faced from how badly you've been treated by acquaintances & in relationships. It often hurts badly to deal with those people who really just don't want to be bothered to learn about the things you must face daily. That you have no choice but to face daily! It especially hurts when those who should most care about you - such as family members - instead choose to ostracize you, or sometimes worse, to simply ignore & shun you. For nothing more than being who you are!! It can feel like a cruel joke.

My belief is that such ignorance fosters evil. Or at least the ability & self-"justification" by the "normal" people out there for how they treat those who are different from themselves. Their wrong behavior, disenfranchising those who most need their understanding & compassion, is plain evil. That's what you really hate.
Old 02-18-2018, 10:39 PM   #6

Imnotaturtle has no updates.

Im a teacher and I've heard other teachers label kids 'not right in then head' when I know for a fact that child is on the spectrum. Its sickening. Some people just suck. Then to be labeled myself as a burden and dumb because I struggle to communicate well (Im not the most articulate). I want to scream at them to educate themselves yet I know its pointless because their ignorance is a choice. Just another reason to break some else down so they can feel a little better about themselves.
Imnotaturtle is offline   Reply With Quote