Psych Central

Go Back   Forums at Psych Central > Mental Health Support > Autism and Asperger's Syndrome

advertisement
Unread 09-12-2017, 09:56 PM   #1
Veteran Member
Peter A has no updates.

2 yr Member
42 hugs
given
Thumbs up I'm supposed to be getting new support soon!

Yeah. Today, in fact, I'm meeting the manager of the agency. It's not a company that deals with autism, but it might be beneficiary to have the support just the same. Well, I hope so anyway.

After all the crap I've had to deal with over the past several years, I could use a breather. However, it sucks having to pay for the support myself, as it's rather expensive. It's like 16 an hour. So I'm not going to be able to have support for meaningless shifts anymore. Social services could finance the support to an extent, but let's not kid ourselves here: Social workers are known to be rats, and so why should anybody be daft enough to trust them?

My sister has a lot of ongoing health issues, so she cannot always help me. We were working on a film last month. I'm still very keen to do more film work and get my own flat. In fact, I applied to be in a major period drama with Margot Robbie. They wanted the male extras to grow thick beards, and I started growing one. Nobody got back to me. In a few weeks, I'm meant to be working on a short film, which I pledged money to. I'm hoping this will be a fresh start.
Peter A is offline   Reply With Quote
Hugs from:

advertisement
Unread 09-13-2017, 03:40 AM   #2
Grand Magnate

Breadfish has no updates.

My Mood:

3 yr Member
1,064 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!
Default re: I'm supposed to be getting new support soon!

I hope for you it'll work out this time.

-- J.R.R. Tolkien
Breadfish is offline   Reply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Unread 09-13-2017, 08:05 PM   #3
Veteran Member
Peter A has no updates.

2 yr Member
42 hugs
given
Lightbulb re: I'm supposed to be getting new support soon!

I hope so too.

As one intelligent member already pointed out to me in another thread, it's a good idea to maintain a healthy working relationship with them, but not to cross boundaries. They are there to support clients so long as there's a pay check involved, but that's all they are. This obviously should work both ways, though. They shouldn't be mistreating their clients or abusing their position as a care provider. One idiot years ago actually sent me abusive messages about an ex-girlfriend I was looking to get back in touch with, which I did, but she was a fruitcake. Some of the emails had random nonsense concerning my taste in music, but there was stuff about a dead pro wrestler named Eddie Guerrero as well. It was very derogatory, not to mention downright creepy and out of line for a caregiver to harass me in this manner.

Getting attached to support workers is quite easy to do, if you are feeling lonely. Many of them have a warm personality. However, some of them are just dimwits and untrustworthy, as we covered before. They need to understand that taking the piss out of their vulnerable clients or not taking the matter at hand at all seriously is not being empathetic. Nobody wants to be born with autism.

One issue I have is that the support is rather expensive. Social services don't usually intervene if you are not causing any issues, so ideally you should pay a little towards the funding and they should pay the rest, so they aren't coming out on the end of the deal. This kind of shows you want to get better, and I don't think they're really just there to hold your hand in life. However, in situations where a client has convictions, they may be inclined to want that situation monitored. While I can half see their point, certain social workers can actually end up making your life miserable.

Believe me. The ones to do with child custody cases are the worst. I've already told them that having only male workers will eliminate that problem with me becoming infatuated with women who are just there to support the likes of myself. However, do try to keep in mind that, some support workers can be great. You have to remember that..."you get good and bad people everywhere." So one bad experience with a support worker should not be enough to convince anyone they're all going to be the same, because they won't be.
Unread 09-14-2017, 10:49 AM   #4
Grand Magnate

Breadfish has no updates.

My Mood:

3 yr Member
1,064 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!

It's hard to be high-functioning and still get the help that works best for you. If you got violent or were so upset you quit eating for a week or something similar anytime they sent a female support worker, I'd bet you it would take three days at most before they went to all-male.

-- J.R.R. Tolkien
Breadfish is offline   Reply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Unread 09-14-2017, 12:58 PM   #5
Poohbah

Shazerac is attempting to contact the mother ship.

My Mood:

2 yr Member
420 hugs
given

hang in there. Get the help you need.

Eat a live frog for breakfast every morning and nothing worse can happen to you that day!

"Ask yourself whether the dream of heaven and greatness should be left waiting for us in our graves - or whether it should be ours here and now and on this earth. Ayn Rand, Atlas Shrugged

Bipolar type 2 rapid cycling DX 2013
Seroquel 100 > 75mg as of 9/1/17
Celexa 40mg > 30 mg as of 9/1/17 > 20mg 9/19/17
Xanax .5 mg prn
Modafanil 200mg > 100mg as of 9/1/17

Shazerac is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-14-2017, 02:51 PM   #6
Veteran Member
Peter A has no updates.

2 yr Member
42 hugs
given

Quote:
Originally Posted by Breadfish View Post
It's hard to be high-functioning and still get the help that works best for you. If you got violent or were so upset you quit eating for a week or something similar anytime they sent a female support worker, I'd bet you it would take three days at most before they went to all-male.
Well, not every agency one goes to will know about what occurred before with the pathetic "J&S" saga, but I decided I would likely end up getting feelings for another female worker someday, so it's best not to go there. Besides, I don't think I'm ever going to get into a relationship with a girl anyway. Not now.

The tart I met years ago does not count anymore. Seriously! She was never into me as a person. She just pretended to like me in order to scam me when I thought she was giving me an ounce of love.

I'm still young. I'm only 31 years old, but I really don't have the confidence to approach anybody, nor am I good looking. In fact, there are so many horrible people out there that have hurt me, especially online.

Recently, I joined an autism dating site and I was amazed to find only 2 inactive users registered, and I live in Edinburgh. Surely, there should be dozens of members if you live in a big enough area. Autism isn't niche or irregular, or obscure. Etc. That's very strange. But not really. Most people don't meet that way. But then to meet people, you need friends, or confidence, and I've hardly got neither.