Psych Central

Go Back   Forums at Psych Central > Mental Health Support > Autism and Asperger's Syndrome

advertisement
Unread 07-13-2017, 08:12 PM   #1
emma4health has no updates.

Default I feel like I have Autism or Aspergers.

I do not want to be professionally diagnosed.
Could someone help me understand what the difference is with both and what the symptoms are.
I am familiar with most of it altough I would like as much information as I can from all kinds of sources especially people that have Autism or Asperger's.
I've only met one person that I know has Aspergers and he didn't really want to talk to me about it, so talking to people who are diagnose would be a great help.
emma4health is offline   Reply With Quote

advertisement
Unread 07-14-2017, 04:57 PM   #2
kkrrhh has no updates.

97 hugs
given
Default Re: I feel like I have Autism or Aspergers.

Asperger's is just grouped in with autism as a diagnosis now, I'm pretty sure. When Asperger's was split into a different diagnosis, though, the main difference was supposed to be communication and milestones hit at a very young age... I think something like, if the person could talk normally for the most part at 3, it would be considered Asperger's instead of autism. And then communication issues and some other symptoms could tend to be milder, I guess.

If you don't want a professional diagnosis, you could always try some of the more "official" tests online, which still obviously can't diagnose you but are somewhat reliable. The autism spectrum quotient is the one that I remember. Also, assuming you're female (by your username), you might want to look up Tania Marshall's list of autistic traits in women, and read experiences online from autistic women specifically. Both of those things have been really helpful for me.

(I'm not officially diagnosed but I'm currently in the process and 99% sure.)
kkrrhh is offline   Reply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Unread 07-14-2017, 06:45 PM   #3
Poohbah
leejosepho has no updates.

Default Re: I feel like I have Autism or Aspergers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kkrrhh View Post
Asperger's is just grouped in with autism as a diagnosis now, I'm pretty sure...
Yes, and I believe I have Asperger Syndrome (AS) rather than High-Functioning Autism (HFA) since I was as verbal as child as just about any other. Nevertheless, I usually speak of AS/HFA together or else just mention "Autism Spectrum" when referring to myself...and neither do I have a professional diagnosis. Some people who do have a professional diagnosis might give you (OP) some grief over the matter of so-called "self-diagnosis", but I do not argue with them since I do not need any "official label" to augment my personal identity. The knowledge of AS/HFA I have gained now explains many things about me for which I could never have accounted in any other way...and that is that!
| manic-depressive with psychotic tendencies (1977) | chronic alcoholism (1981) | Asperger burnout (2010) | mood disorder - nos / personality disorder - nos / generalized anxiety disorder (2011) | chronic back pain / peripheral neuropathy / partial visual impairment | Gastrointestinal Stromal Tumors (incurable cancer) |
leejosepho is offline   Reply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says: