Wondering If I Might be on the Asperger's Spectrum as a Woman - Page 4 - Forums at Psych Central

Old 02-04-2019, 06:07 AM #31

PsychoPhil has no updates.

18 hugs
given
Default Re: Wondering If I Might be on the Asperger's Spectrum as a Woman

Quote:
Originally Posted by winter loneliness View Post
That has nothing to do with autism.
What's the basis of this claim? While boys on the spectrum may have a hard time finding girlfriends, for girls it may be just opposite because of a lack of proper boundaries, being taken advantage of, and relationships not working out. Aside, reading other posts, sarahsweet's sister was on medication lessening social anxiety.
PsychoPhil is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 02-06-2019, 02:48 AM #32
Grand Member

Grand Member
winter loneliness fine

236 hugs
given

Bouncing from bf to bf? I wouldn't have put it that way. Also, you can receive a diagnosis at any time, to my knowledge.

Bipolar 1
winter loneliness is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Old 02-07-2019, 03:06 AM #33

kimberlym has no updates.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarknessIsMyFriend View Post
I would say see if your local library offers a free Lynda.com subscription. If you want to learn programming, or brush up your other IT skills, that is a good place to start. If you can't get Lynda.com for free, it's more than worth the $30 per month.

If you can't get Lynda.com for free and you can't afford the monthly fee, either see if there are any tech meetups in your area where you can learn new skills and network with people, or learn from codeacademy.

Fact is, you can become a good coder or programmer without college. You can self teach yourself for free. It is entirely possible to get a job if you're self taught as a programmer. I know one person, for example, who got a job as a software engineer without a formal education. He taught himself everything he knew about programming and was able to prove to the hiring managers that he knew his stuff by taking their tests. Guess what? Two years later, he's making a 6 figure salary.

So it's possible to learn on your own. You just got to believe in yourself
It's funny you should say that because Linda.com has been my go-to for education. Once my college credentials were "offed", I was looking for my local library to support...
kimberlym is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 02-07-2019, 03:15 AM #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by kimberlym View Post
It's funny you should say that because Linda.com has been my go-to for education. Once my college credentials were "offed", I was looking to my local library to support...
@DARKNESSmyoldfriend....you have been such a good influence for me...I so Thank You!....You have given me such insight!...And I love you for it! Thank You!, for giving me the insight you have!
Old 02-07-2019, 04:00 AM #35

Apparently, we're all trying to figure this "thing" out...whatever mental disorder, disability we possess...some of us may have had professional diagnosis/prognosis...but others of us may just not be willing to feed money into the "system", which is more or less, where I stand...I know there is an issue, and many of us us which have those issues, but I'm just not willing to let our society define this for me...I currently have no health care, and I'm not completely certain, at this moment, that a Universal One would do any better than the symptoms I currently experience...though, I would thoroughly welcome a universal healthcare to this administration in the US
Old 02-09-2019, 09:39 PM #36

@DarknessIsMyFriend...we have some mutual idiosyncrasies....I would love to have a chat!....If you feel like one, please contact me....kimberlyrmartinh84@gmail.com
Old 03-24-2019, 10:28 PM #37

TheNightWhistle Nothing but love to give

30 hugs
given

Stim is short for stimulating. It's a repetitive movement that people with ASD do to calm down. This can be rocking back and forth, blowing on fingers, playing with hair, walking back and forth, waving hands, spinning objects, clicking their tongue, etc. Most people stim a little bit but people with ASD do it in a way that's far more obvious. I've been a childcare worker for children with ASD for 5 years.

Also, having asperger's syndrome is nothing to be ashamed of. The guy who invented Pokemon and Bill Gates both had it and look how successful and loved they are!
Old 04-07-2019, 09:33 PM #38

saranity92 has no updates.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kimberlym View Post
My parents won't remember any quirks @PsychoPhil. One parent is deceased now, and the other is aging and losing memory. And what they did know, they didn't seem to associate with anything but me being an "odd" child. But I remember my quirks. I did both. I participated in pretend play, and I did stim too. I had imaginary friends before that age. They were all based on Disney characters. Mickey Mouse, Minnie Mouse, Pluto, and the like, I believe because that was pretty much the only exposure I had had to cartoon-ish-type characters at the time. I have a photo where I was told I went to Disney World in Orlando FL, but I have no memory of the experience at all. I was under two years old. I was sitting on a fake dolphin, something similar to those things you used to put a quarter in, and it would rock back and forth for a minute, and my parents were in the picture. I remember they weren't real-life sized, my imaginary friends. They were small, 6-10 inches in height or so, because I would always be looking down at the floor to interact with them and speak with them. And I had a baby blanket that was given to me by a grandparent who worked in a blanket factory. It was a receiving blanket from when I was born, and it was always with me in my crib, bed, whatever it evolved into. It had a silky binding on it, and I developed a picking habit, which I still have, to this day. About 7 years ago, my partner convinced me to put the blanket away and find something else to pick, because it was disintegrating into nothing. ( I used to tell my family. It will be written into my will, that I am to be buried with my blanket. That's how strongly I felt for it.) So, I washed it, bagged it, and tucked it away for safe-keeping so it would always be there. I won't tell you the other fabric I found for its replacement. It's embarrassing. But I still pick, and if I can't find the source when I go to bed, I am upset, and I have to find it before I can sleep, even now, at 52 years old. Anyone that has ever known about my blanket, mostly immediate family and any very close friends I might have had (of course, any intimate partners would have to be let into the loop, because I won't sleep without it), would tease me mercilessly for still having it at my age. My grandmother, the person that gave it to me, begged me to put it aside. She didn't think I should have something like that as an adult. She died around 1992. My father, who is still alive at 76 years, has forgotten about the blanket, because I don't carry it with me anymore, and he is not aware of the fabric I use now to replace it. It's concealable. My mate, my partner in life for the last 9 years if my life now, my person...is very aware of my stim obsession with "picking". I also try to avoid picking at my skin, but that is a compulsion as well. I have picked at my face, my collar bone area, my shoulders and back. If I pick on my skin, it is very apparent outwardly because it can be seen. I went through a period where I couldn't help picking at my face, and it was obvious. I had scabs and the like. I had to find an alternate area, or an alternate material to pick.
I have never known anyone else with a blanket they picked at like me!!!! My husband calls it a rag, I just can't bear to part with it. And also can't sleep without it.
saranity92 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote