Psych Central

Go Back   Forums at Psych Central > Mental Health Support > Attention Deficit Disorder (ADD/ADHD)

advertisement

Old 06-12-2018, 07:42 AM   #1
Namelessness has no updates.

3 yr Member
64 hugs
given
Default ADHD/ADD, personality flaw or...just normal?

I have a hard time explaining this. Recently my behavior is getting more and more unbecoming of my usual self. These are my symptoms and traits which I'm a bit ashamed to say, some of them I already have it when I was young.

1)Tendency to jump from task to task (not so bad in the past)

2)Unable to sustain attention for long periods, like, watching movies. My friends are able to enjoy it, for me, I couldn't even understand the content, just ended up staring at the screen almost all the time.
This is been happening every time I watch movies.
I also almost avoid anything that requires a long attention span.

3)Lack of interest or even fear in learning new things. When certain things are taught to me, I end up concentrating on the trainer's movements and other non relevant stuffs.

4)Quite easily distracted and lost in thoughts

5)Procrastinating

6)Difficulty processing new info.

7)Occasional forgetfulness and the need to constantly double check to reduce it.

8)Feeling easily bored with a task after only a few minutes, unless doing something I find enjoyable.

9)Disorganized and neglect responsibilities. My room is in a mess now. I barely thought of cleaning it.

10)Easily confused and clumsy

Hope someone here can help me with this. I am still able to function despite all that but I keep quitting jobs easily and ended up unemployed for years because of it.

Last edited by Namelessness; 06-12-2018 at 09:21 AM..
Namelessness is offline   Reply With Quote

advertisement
Old 06-12-2018, 08:53 PM   #2

3 yr Member
64 hugs
given
Default Re: ADHD, personality flaw or...just normal?

Another thing I want to add is that, I'm currently taking mirtazapine, Prozac(just recent) and olanzapine. Not sure would it play a part in those symptoms. I'm not ruling a mild ADD out as well.

Any opinions on what that possibly might be?
Old 06-14-2018, 11:26 AM   #3
LifeForce has no updates.

My Mood:

Default ADHD, personality flaw or...just normal?

I don’t want to scare you, but these are all symptoms of Frontotemporal Dementia, which often occurs in younger people.
LifeForce is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2018, 09:09 PM   #4

3 yr Member
64 hugs
given
Default Re: ADHD, personality flaw or...just normal?

Quote:
Originally Posted by LifeForce View Post
I don’t want to scare you, but these are all symptoms of Frontotemporal Dementia, which often occurs in younger people.
Youth dementia maybe. But I have never heard of Frontotemporal Dementia. And based on what I researched and feedbacks from others, nothing in my behavior indicates that. Perhaps you might want to further elaborate.
Thanks for your opinion though...
Old 06-15-2018, 05:36 PM   #5
LifeForce has no updates.

My Mood:

Default ADHD, personality flaw or...just normal?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Namelessness View Post
Youth dementia maybe. But I have never heard of Frontotemporal Dementia. And based on what I researched and feedbacks from others, nothing in my behavior indicates that. Perhaps you might want to further elaborate.

Thanks for your opinion though...

FTD doesn’t usually happen in people that young, but it can happen in someone in their twenties or thirties. It occurs more often in people over 40, though (dementias are considered “younger onset” if they start before the age of 65). FTD affects the frontal and/or temporal parts of the brain. The frontal lobe is the same part of the brain affected by ADD/ADHD, so it can have similar effects. For someone with pre-existing ADD, it can just seem like their ADD is getting much worse.

What you described is fairly classic inattentive ADD (not mild!), but ADD doesn’t start suddenly, out of the blue. But, if you are very young, it is highly unlikely to be FTD. There are other things that can affect executive function, though, including depression, so I recommend talking to your doctor about it, and perhaps getting a referral to either a neurologist or a psychiatrist.

PS. I just read your comment about the meds you are on. Some meds can have the impact you describe, on some people. I have had to stop meds that my doctor was trialling on me for pain management, because I felt they made my ADD symptoms a lot worse (including apathy, which is one of the things you describe).
LifeForce is online now   Reply With Quote