Psych Central

Go Back   Forums at Psych Central > Mental Health Support > Attention Deficit Disorder (ADD/ADHD)

advertisement
Unread 08-29-2017, 11:59 AM   #1
misfit77 has no updates.

My Mood:

3 yr Member
2 hugs
given
Default Noise Driving Me Crazy

I was diagnosed with ADHD at the age of 10 (with other learning disabilities). I also have had the diagnosis of Borderline Personality Disorder, Anxiety and depression along the way. I have managed to combat my ADHD symptoms and am not on any medication right now.

For the past 7 years I have worked beside a restaurant that blasts music. We have given up complaining to them and the landlord. Nobody cares.

Right now this music (the bass, the beats) is driving me absolutely crazy. I want to punch the walls. I want to go over and yell at them. I CANNOT block this sound out.

This has been an ongoing issue. I HATE NOISE, especially repetitive noises like ticking clocks, clicky shoes and basketballs. These thing actually enrage me and I cannot tune them out, I get so tense I end up with a headache. My neighbor snores and I can hear it through the wall and I end up smacking the wall because it's so annoying, my baby sleeps in the room with me and I have actually woken her up because I am trying to get the stupid neighbor to wake up and stop snoring.

I do my best to block noise out. At work I have a fan on right now trying to block it out-but of course it's bass that I am hearing so it's hard. Ear plugs won't help. At home with the snoring neighbor I have a white noise machine and I turn my head to the bottom of the bed, but my daughter sleeps with me a lot so I end up having to turn back to the side the neighbor is on because my daughter might roll out of bed if I am on the other side. I cannot move my bed to another wall because of vents and things. My husband doesn't sleep in the bed because he snores loud and likes to watch tv when he falls asleep which I can't deal with.

I am curious, do these kinds of noises bug anyone to the degree that they bug me? Is this an ADHD thing? Because I honestly think the level to which they bother me are similar to how much noises can bother someone with autism. I don't think I have autism, but I am just curious because I seriously go mental with noise. I have tried to explain it to people but nobody gets it. It's not a minor irritation, it's seriously causing me distress.

Thanks
misfit77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Hugs from:

advertisement
Unread 09-02-2017, 12:28 PM   #2
Poohbah

Shazerac is attempting to contact the mother ship.

My Mood:

2 yr Member
379 hugs
given
Default Re: Noise Driving Me Crazy

I don't know if it's na ADHD thng or not. I'm bipolar and noise drives me nuts too. I being earplugs when I go to a movie. I have to grit my teeth from wanting to smack people who crack their chewing gum. Some people are hyper sensitive to noise. I wish I knew what to tell you but I don't

Eat a live frog for breakfast every morning and nothing worse can happen to you that day!

Please don't sew a label on me...I hate stitches

Bipolar type 2 rapid cycling DX 2013
Seroquel 100 > 75mg as of 9/1/17
Celexa 40mg > 30 mg as of 9/1/17 > 20mg 9/19/17
Xanax .5 mg prn
Modafanil 200mg > 100mg as of 9/1/17

Shazerac is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-03-2017, 11:49 AM   #3
Poohbah

benzenering has no updates.

3 yr Member
232 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!

I don't know either if it has anything to do with ADHD. I had an upstairs neighbor, once, years ago, that blasted music with a really heavy bass beat to it...drove me absolutely nuts. One day, I put my nine inch nails CD on shuffle, turned it way up on the stereo, and left. Came home the next day to peace and quiet. Didn't have any trouble after that!
benzenering is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-07-2017, 06:29 PM   #4
TigerLight Day to Day

My Mood:

2 yr Member
4 hugs
given

Me too like especially crinkling of a chip bag or scraping of a knife. Smacking food is the worst though. i know how you feel.
TigerLight is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-11-2017, 08:00 PM   #5

Hedocakes instructions unclear, tentacle stuck in ceiling fan

My Mood:

5 yr Member
5 hugs
given

Sensory stuff like misophonia is common in ADHD, yeah. I deal with it. I don't know what to offer RE: sleep because your bases are pretty well covered as far as circumstances will allow.

TL;DR, People naturally have a split attention, with the majority going towards what we're deliberately turning our focus to, and the rest going to idly surveying the environment. With ADHD, we can't really filter out useless information like someone else's noise. Things that eat up the rest of that attention are really helpful--that's probably why white noise is useful for you. I've found that steady, predictable stimming/fidgeting or putting on my own rhythmic music helps me cope with external stimulus I can't control. If I know what to expect, it's easier to ignore.

Last edited by Hedocakes; 09-11-2017 at 08:00 PM. Reason: Spaces. Spaces are important.
Hedocakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-15-2017, 01:32 PM   #6
BrokenWing60 has no updates.

1 hugs
given
Blush Re: Noise Driving Me Crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by misfit77 View Post
I was diagnosed with ADHD at the age of 10 (with other learning disabilities). I also have had the diagnosis of Borderline Personality Disorder, Anxiety and depression along the way. I have managed to combat my ADHD symptoms and am not on any medication right now.

For the past 7 years I have worked beside a restaurant that blasts music. We have given up complaining to them and the landlord. Nobody cares.

Right now this music (the bass, the beats) is driving me absolutely crazy. I want to punch the walls. I want to go over and yell at them. I CANNOT block this sound out.

This has been an ongoing issue. I HATE NOISE, especially repetitive noises like ticking clocks, clicky shoes and basketballs. These thing actually enrage me and I cannot tune them out, I get so tense I end up with a headache. My neighbor snores and I can hear it through the wall and I end up smacking the wall because it's so annoying, my baby sleeps in the room with me and I have actually woken her up because I am trying to get the stupid neighbor to wake up and stop snoring.

I do my best to block noise out. At work I have a fan on right now trying to block it out-but of course it's bass that I am hearing so it's hard. Ear plugs won't help. At home with the snoring neighbor I have a white noise machine and I turn my head to the bottom of the bed, but my daughter sleeps with me a lot so I end up having to turn back to the side the neighbor is on because my daughter might roll out of bed if I am on the other side. I cannot move my bed to another wall because of vents and things. My husband doesn't sleep in the bed because he snores loud and likes to watch tv when he falls asleep which I can't deal with.

I am curious, do these kinds of noises bug anyone to the degree that they bug me? Is this an ADHD thing? Because I honestly think the level to which they bother me are similar to how much noises can bother someone with autism. I don't think I have autism, but I am just curious because I seriously go mental with noise. I have tried to explain it to people but nobody gets it. It's not a minor irritation, it's seriously causing me distress.

Thanks
Noise really bugs me too, similar to you.. Can't concentrate/focus on tasks or in conversations.... & seems almost every little tick, click & other noise, is bothering me more & more lately... Getting worse & worse every since I took a Vacation from my Meds🙄🙄
BrokenWing60 is offline   Reply With Quote