Psych Central

Go Back   Forums at Psych Central > Mental Health Support > Attention Deficit Disorder (ADD/ADHD)

advertisement
Unread 06-17-2017, 03:50 PM   #1
Bookworm257 has no updates.

Book ADD and cannot focus at all?

Okay, so I am supposed to be studying for finals but my mind keeps wandering and I just can't focus on what I'm supposed to be focused on. How do I stop this?
Bookworm257 is offline   Reply With Quote
Hugs from:

advertisement
Unread 06-19-2017, 04:43 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Ceara1010 is doing better than she has in years

My Mood:

518 hugs
given
Default Re: ADD and cannot focus at all?

Have you been diagnosed ADD or ADHD? If so, a doctor could prescribe you some medication that could help you focus. Adderall and Wellbutrin together helped me a lot.
in event of success.

-Ernest Shackleton

PTSD, Depression, ADD, ACOA, Agoraphobia
Celexa, Wellbutrin, Trazodone
Ceara1010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-20-2017, 03:09 PM   #3
amccray119 has no updates.

My Mood:

3 hugs
given
Default Re: ADD and cannot focus at all?

Oh gosh I feel for you. I know that has to be terrible for your mind to wander during the one time you absolutely need it to pay attention.

The first thing you might want to do is figure out why your mind keeps wandering. You might be tired, energetic/restless, hungry, anxious, thinking about other things, distracted by other things...Once you figure that out, you can prepare yourself so that it will stop affecting you so much.

First, make sure you're getting enough sleep. Finals can be a stressful time, and staying up all night will only make you more stressed and more unfocused.

Limit your distractions! Tell everyone that you are studying for finals and turn your ringer off. You may even need to turn off your phone and your computer.

Study in the library. Its quiet and not as comfortable as your room where you are more likely to lay in bed or watch tv. Studying in the library really does help.

Keep snacks handy. I am a snacker...if I do not have food around to eat when I'm hungry, I will only think about food until I can eat something. There are many different snacks that you can buy or make, but you want something that will give you energy rather than empty calories.

Take breaks - eating your snack can be your break time. Set a timer for you to take a 10 min break every 50 mins or so, whatever works best for you. I find myself constantly looking at the time when Im waiting to take a break, so this may or may not work for you. Another option is to listen to your body and take a break when you start feeling overwhelmed.

Exercise can help you feel refreshed and clear your mind. You can take a walk, a jog or do some jumping jacks and pushups in your room. I find it easier to download an exercise app which already has exercises ready to go and displays the time it takes to complete it.

You may also want to rotate studying for the topics. It gets boring studying one topic for hours, so for one hour you can study one topic, and the next hour study another.

Meditation and yoga can help calm you down and focus your mind on being present. They focus on breathing, which is a natural way to restore some balance in the body. Doing it for a few mins can really put you at ease so that you can return to your work with a clear head. Guided meditation might help to keep you on track and remind you to keep breathing and keep your mind focused on your breathing.

Remember to still have some personal care time to yourself. Make time out to talk to friends and family who can boost your mood if you're feeling overwhelmed. Take a long shower or bath, and eat good food.

I really hope something from this list helps and good luck on your finals!!
amccray119 is offline   Reply With Quote