Psych Central

Go Back   Forums at Psych Central > Mental Health Support > Attention Deficit Disorder (ADD/ADHD)

advertisement
Unread 06-07-2017, 08:31 PM   #1
MistMoon has no updates.

Confused Could This Be Adult ADD?

I apologize if this doesn't belong in this part of the forums, but I am hoping I can pin down what is wrong with me.

For the longest time, probably my whole life, I always thought of myself (and loved ones thought of me) as bubble-headed and forgetful. And it's true. Sometimes, to the point where I wonder if I am secretly a careless lazy, and/or unintelligent person.

I forget things, and more than what is considered normal. Normal forgetting is forgetting today's date, what you ate for dinner last Tuesday, or where you put your keys. MY kind of forgetting is detrimental.

I'll forget to lock the door before I leave the house several times a week. I'll forget the time and date of the day my friends and I were supposed to meet for lunch, even after they told me multiple times. I forget important tasks at work, ones that could cost me my job. Multi-tasking in said job is extremely difficult and leads to mistakes that could have been avoided. My manager and co-workers are getting frustrated because I keep screwing up and repeatedly ask for help.

Speaking of multitasking, I can only really focus on one thing at a time. When I am talking to a person, everything else around me kind of goes on mute. Other times, there is so much stimuli that I zone out of what they are saying. My attention shifts to something else (such as the television or another conversation). This leads to me not catching important parts of the original conversation and the person needing to repeat what they said. This makes me look insensitive, as if I don't really care what they are talking about. In reality, I do care very much, but...I just keep getting distracted.

This would happen while I was still in school, too. As a kid, I would forget important books at home or in my locker, and forget we had a quiz the next day. I would zone out in the middle of a class and daydream about other things, and then miss a lot of what was said (getting called on was a nightmare). As I got older, writing papers was torture, as I would procrastinate doing the unpleasant task, getting more and more anxious as the due date approached. I just couldn't bring myself to focus on JUST the paper. I would need to have Tumblr or Facebook in the background, which would lead to sleepless nights with the paper still not finished.

It's even difficult to do things I enjoy. I love to read, and always had a passion for books. Whenever I read a book I am really interested in, I zip through word after word, sometimes missing what happened in an entire paragraph and needing to go back and read it again. And again. And again. I have to physically FORCE myself to slow down and read more carefully.

Oddly enough, playing video games isn't an issue for me. Go figure

Anyone that's in the same boat? I feel like I have no one else to turn to. My friends get frustrated with me, my employer is losing patience, and I'm hoping, PRAYING that this just isn't who I am. I wish they could understand that I try really hard to remember things, to listen carefully, to do well in my job. Sometimes it's a real struggle.
MistMoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Hugs from:

advertisement
Unread 06-08-2017, 09:36 AM   #2

Zebra821 has no updates.

My Mood:

3 yr Member
34 hugs
given
Default Re: Could This Be Adult ADD?

I was just diagnosed with adult adhd, and our stories sound eerily similar! I have no problem playing video games but god forbid I have to read something or focus on anything for more than ten minutes.

Also part of the criteria for ADHD is that it effects one or more aspects of your life, and it sounds like it has! I recommend talking to a doctor and letting them know what's going on. There are more adhd meds out that aren't just Adderall or Ritalin. Some doctors feel more comfortable prescribing Vyvanse or Strattera. They're less addictive but still helpful!

Good luck to you and I think it's something worth talking to a doctor about! Getting on ADHD meds changed my life. Sounds like you could really benefit from them, too.
Zebra821 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-10-2017, 08:48 PM   #3
MistMoon has no updates.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zebra821 View Post
I was just diagnosed with adult adhd, and our stories sound eerily similar! I have no problem playing video games but god forbid I have to read something or focus on anything for more than ten minutes.

Also part of the criteria for ADHD is that it effects one or more aspects of your life, and it sounds like it has! I recommend talking to a doctor and letting them know what's going on. There are more adhd meds out that aren't just Adderall or Ritalin. Some doctors feel more comfortable prescribing Vyvanse or Strattera. They're less addictive but still helpful!

Good luck to you and I think it's something worth talking to a doctor about! Getting on ADHD meds changed my life. Sounds like you could really benefit from them, too.
Thank you so much for your reply, Zebra821. For the longest time I thought it was just part of my personality, and didn't ever really consider that it could be helped. I will definitely consider seeing a doctor, it's worth it if I can do a better job at work! I was always worried about unpleasant side effects that come with meds but hearing others that have had success with it makes it a good option.
MistMoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-17-2017, 04:23 PM   #4
Bookworm257 has no updates.

I have add, and what you are describing is right on point.
It really does sound like you have it!
Bookworm257 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-21-2017, 10:22 AM   #5
Grand Magnate
Community Liaison

Quarter life Is Very Tired

My Mood:

3 yr Member
450 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!

The symptoms & difficulties you describe may well be ADHD...However, they could also be an indication of certain other conditions aswell. There are many medical issues that mimic ADHD symptoms. Speak to your doctor about getting a referral so that you can be assessed.