I think I have ADHD or something similar. - Forums at Psych Central

Old 12-17-2018, 10:42 AM #1
Anonymous52222

Anonymous52222
Anonymous52222 has no updates. Edit

Default I think I have ADHD or something similar.

Greetings.

So I've been thinking lately that a lot of my issues might be due to ADHD or some kind of related issue.

You see, I'm currently enrolled in community college working towards a web development degree. School is hard for me because I get bored easily. I can't keep myself focused no matter how hard I try. I am terrible at test taking because I can't focus on reading and memorizing the information. As a result, I average a low C or high D on most of my tests. However, I do well on hands on stuff requiring me to do something that is fun or interesting to me.

School isn't my only issue either. I have trouble committing to things or people because I get bored and decide it's not worth my time. Heck, I have trouble committing to therapy or dealing with my childhood trauma because of boredom most of the time. Last time I saw a therapist, she wanted me to write something in a journal as part of some homework, I got bored with it and never returned.

Also, I don't get a lot of value from my time. It isn't uncommon for me to get lost in my head and daydream when I need to do something I don't want to do without realizing it half of the time. I slack off on my chores because chores are boring. I didn't get my apartment clean until the other day and that was only because pest control was scheduled by my apartment people and I didn't want people coming in seeing the filth I live in so I finally got the apartment looking presentable enough (trash wasn't piling on the floor and coffee grounds weren't spilled everywhere anymore). I get bored at work and end up getting hyper and making jokes when I should be working. I'm actually surprised I lasted as long as I have at this job because it isn't all that uncommon for my work performance to degrade because I would rather think about something fun like video game strategies, an epic anime battle, the secrets of the universe, or one of my many ideas than move some stupid tables for a bunch of people that don't give a crap about me. Oh, and I can get angry at somebody or something but become calm and completely forget about what even made me angry 5 minutes later.

Also one of my best friends who I've been open with regarding some of my mental health issues (because he has them too), flat out asked me one day if I had ADHD because when we were talking, I couldn't keep eye contact and I wouldn't be able to hold still. He said I tend to look everywhere when we talk and that I seem restless and fidgity, and he mentioned that I have a habit of changing subjects rather quickly.

So yeah, I know there is an issue. I can't help but to think that my quality of life would improve if I got more value out of my time. I just can't stay focused no matter how hard I try. I know they say you needed to have issues with ADHD as a kid but I was never diagnosed. I was diagnosed with explosive anger disorder and oppositional defiant disorder though so maybe those count. I'll try to get a diagnosis soon but it's just hard getting places when I live in a state with **** public transportation without a car.

Anyways, thoughts?
  Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Hugs from:
Old 12-17-2018, 11:57 AM #2

Llama_Llama44 is probably overthinking...

3 yr Member
214 hugs
given
Default Re: I think I have ADHD or something similar.

You don't need to have been diagnosed as a kid- they will just review your childhood "symptoms" with you see see if there were signs of it then.
"Thanks for this!" says:
Old 12-17-2018, 12:07 PM #3
Wise Elder

Wise Elder
MickeyCheeky My echo is the only voice coming back

2 yr Member
29.2k hugs
given
PC PoohBah!

I can relate to what you say, DarknessIsMyFriend. I have the same struggles. Unfortunately I don't know if you have ADHD or not, although from what you wrote I'd say it's very possible. The only way to know for sure is to see a dcotor and get a proper diagnosis. After that, you can decide where to go from there. Let us know how it goes! Sending many hugs to you
MickeyCheeky is online now   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Hugs from:
Old 12-17-2018, 12:36 PM #4
Anonymous52222

Anonymous52222

Yeah, I've just been dreading having to go see the mental health people.

I don't want to ride the bus or pay for an Uber and I sure as hell don't want to wake up early to do an intake at 8 in the morning and wait in a lobby full of people just to be seen.

I knew I need to do something months ago but I've been putting it off. I just don't want to do any more work.
Hugs from:
"Thanks for this!" says:
Old 12-18-2018, 04:13 AM #5
Wise Elder

Wise Elder
MickeyCheeky My echo is the only voice coming back

2 yr Member
29.2k hugs
given
PC PoohBah!

I know how you feel. But I feel like it may be the best things for you. Either way, the final decision is up to you. Sending many hugs to you
MickeyCheeky is online now   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Hugs from:
Old 12-18-2018, 09:31 AM #6
Poohbah

Poohbah
Emily Fox Seaton has no updates.

2 yr Member
275 hugs
given

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarknessIsMyFriend View Post
Also, I don't get a lot of value from my time. It isn't uncommon for me to get lost in my head and daydream when I need to do something I don't want to do without realizing it half of the time. I slack off on my chores because chores are boring. I didn't get my apartment clean until the other day and that was only because pest control was scheduled by my apartment people and I didn't want people coming in seeing the filth I live in so I finally got the apartment looking presentable enough (trash wasn't piling on the floor and coffee grounds weren't spilled everywhere anymore). I get bored at work and end up getting hyper and making jokes when I should be working
I will say that everyone I know who has gone to the doctor for ADHD has then be diagnosed with it.

But from my point of view you are just normal. I also daydream a lot and I can go an entire weekend without doing chores I would much prefer to play on the internet. Plus I hate the way they are the same chores weekly.

I need to take frequent breaks at work as I get bored and need something to "stimulate" me intellectually.

Personally I think it is too much work. It is as if I have only a certain amount of space in my head and if you push more into my head than I have room for I get distracted and spacey. I day dream and don't do the work because I know I have no real shot and getting it done.

IMHO medical professionals don't have anything but drugs for you and I am not sure the side effects of the drugs are worth it, not to mention the addictive properties.
Emily Fox Seaton is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Hugs from:
"Thanks for this!" says:
Old 12-18-2018, 09:48 AM #7

AB2371 Editing

2 yr Member
156 hugs
given

I found these articles useful:

Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder (ADHD)

Problems Related to ADHD

ADHD Test - 3 Minute Test for ADHD/ADD. Instant results.

Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder (ADHD) Symptoms
AB2371 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Hugs from:
"Thanks for this!" says:
Old 12-18-2018, 11:04 AM #8
Anonymous52222

Anonymous52222

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emily Fox Seaton View Post
I will say that everyone I know who has gone to the doctor for ADHD has then be diagnosed with it.

But from my point of view you are just normal. I also daydream a lot and I can go an entire weekend without doing chores I would much prefer to play on the internet. Plus I hate the way they are the same chores weekly.

I need to take frequent breaks at work as I get bored and need something to "stimulate" me intellectually.

Personally I think it is too much work. It is as if I have only a certain amount of space in my head and if you push more into my head than I have room for I get distracted and spacey. I day dream and don't do the work because I know I have no real shot and getting it done.

IMHO medical professionals don't have anything but drugs for you and I am not sure the side effects of the drugs are worth it, not to mention the addictive properties.

Yeah, IDK what else to do though but maybe get some meds just for now until I can get to where I can make more money so I can try more alternative methods. Normally I'm against medication but if I'm overworked now, than I'll never get a finish school/get a decent job/start a business or anything else that I want to do because my classes have been rather easy for the most part. When I get to the harder stuff than I'm worried I'll fail. That is also true with me also trying to balance a job and trying to do my eBay selling on the side.

I could try alternative methods like supplements, but I've tried a few already and they don't work. Hell, I take 6-8 different supplements a day and they do very little for me and quite frankly, I cannot afford to keep this up. I could get a doctor to prescribe me something and get a months worth supply for under $20 since I make under 10 grand a year, where as I'm spending many times more than that on supplements, which, quite frankly, I cannot continue doing.
Hugs from:
"Thanks for this!" says:
Old 12-18-2018, 11:11 AM #9
Anonymous52222

Anonymous52222

Thanks.

Took that 3 minute test and scored a 36. It says ADHD is likely.

Goodie me.
Hugs from:
"Thanks for this!" says:
Old 12-18-2018, 11:18 AM #10
Anonymous52222

Anonymous52222

Also, my issue is so bad that I've put off going to the grocery store when I'm almost out of food because it's boring and stressful.

I flat out haven't eaten since yesterday afternoon, yet I have been putting off going to the store. It's not like I don't have money for food either because I do.

You know you have an issue when you literally starve yourself because you find shopping boring lol

Oh well, maybe this puppy fat will burn off me and maybe I can get a girl to be into me so w/e. Food is overrated haha

Got plenty of caffeine still that's all I need!

Last edited by Anonymous52222; 12-18-2018 at 11:31 AM.
Hugs from:
"Thanks for this!" says: