Psych Central

Go Back   Forums at Psych Central > >



advertisement
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-19-2018, 11:21 AM   #11
MickeyCheeky
Wise Elder
 
MickeyCheeky's Avatar
MickeyCheeky My echo is the only voice coming back
 
Member Since: Jun 2016
Location: Italy
Posts: 8,627 (SuperPoster!)
My Mood: I think I have ADHD or something similar.

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
2 yr Member
23.8k hugs
given
PC PoohBah!
Default Re: I think I have ADHD or something similar.

If it's even affecting your own diet, I'd say there's definitely an issue, DarknessIsMyFriend... I hope you'll see your doctor soon. Sending many hugs to you
MickeyCheeky is online now   Reply With Quote

advertisement
Old 12-20-2018, 01:46 AM   #12
DarknessIsMyFriend
Supreme Being
 
DarknessIsMyFriend's Avatar
DarknessIsMyFriend has no updates.
 
Member Since: Aug 2015
Location: Inside my own head.
Posts: 3,006 (SuperPoster!)
My Mood: I think I have ADHD or something similar.

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
3 yr Member
603 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!
Default Re: I think I have ADHD or something similar.

Ya it also doesn't help that I have both a Taco Bell and an On Que across the parking lot from my apartments.


Instead of going grocery shopping, I give into the impulse of buying $1 burritos and cheap energy drinks.


It's so bad at this point that I'm known by name at that Taco Bell location by almost every employee in the store. I've bought much food from them that they wave at me and greet me by name and ask me how school is going and one of the girls that works there might even like me because she's given me free stuff. Like I've probably spent $200-300 at that store in the last year lol


Yeah, I have issues haha
__________________
The strong do what they will and the weak suffer what they must. This is the way of the world. In the face of a more powerful opponent, I would have no recourse but to suffer. That is why I seek strength.

You either die the hero, or you live long enough to become the villain.
DarknessIsMyFriend is offline   Reply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Hugs from:
Old 12-21-2018, 05:49 AM   #13
sarahsweets
Grand Member
 
sarahsweets's Avatar
sarahsweets Humor is my end game..
 
Member Since: Dec 2018
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 949 (SuperPoster!)
My Mood: I think I have ADHD or something similar.

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
71 hugs
given
Default Re: I think I have ADHD or something similar.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emily Fox Seaton View Post
I will say that everyone I know who has gone to the doctor for ADHD has then be diagnosed with it.
What makes you say this? I have not experienced doctors blanket labeling people with adhd.

Quote:
IMHO medical professionals don't have anything but drugs for you and I am not sure the side effects of the drugs are worth it, not to mention the addictive properties.
I am sorry that you feel this way about doctors. IME there are a lot of people who desperately need meds for adhd but cant get them due to the fact that doctors are afraid of controlled substances. Side effects can happen with any drugs not just the ones for adhd. And it has been proven that untreated adhd can make people with addictions worse off. I forget the percentage but people with adhd are a certain percent more likely to have drug and alcohol problems when untreated. I tend to get bothered by people saying that adhd is so easy to get diagnosed with and prescribed treatment for it. Its almost like its ok for people to put down adhd and its treatment because people do not always value the impairments of adhd as much as the impairments of other mental health issues.
sarahsweets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2018, 07:24 AM   #14
DarknessIsMyFriend
Supreme Being
 
DarknessIsMyFriend's Avatar
DarknessIsMyFriend has no updates.
 
Member Since: Aug 2015
Location: Inside my own head.
Posts: 3,006 (SuperPoster!)
My Mood: I think I have ADHD or something similar.

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
3 yr Member
603 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!
Default Re: I think I have ADHD or something similar.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarahsweets View Post
What makes you say this? I have not experienced doctors blanket labeling people with adhd.



I am sorry that you feel this way about doctors. IME there are a lot of people who desperately need meds for adhd but cant get them due to the fact that doctors are afraid of controlled substances. Side effects can happen with any drugs not just the ones for adhd. And it has been proven that untreated adhd can make people with addictions worse off. I forget the percentage but people with adhd are a certain percent more likely to have drug and alcohol problems when untreated. I tend to get bothered by people saying that adhd is so easy to get diagnosed with and prescribed treatment for it. Its almost like its ok for people to put down adhd and its treatment because people do not always value the impairments of adhd as much as the impairments of other mental health issues.

Now, I'm discouraged from going to the mental health center.


Oh well, there is always weed
__________________
The strong do what they will and the weak suffer what they must. This is the way of the world. In the face of a more powerful opponent, I would have no recourse but to suffer. That is why I seek strength.

You either die the hero, or you live long enough to become the villain.
DarknessIsMyFriend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2018, 11:50 AM   #15
sarahsweets
Grand Member
 
sarahsweets's Avatar
sarahsweets Humor is my end game..
 
Member Since: Dec 2018
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 949 (SuperPoster!)
My Mood: I think I have ADHD or something similar.

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
71 hugs
given
Default Re: I think I have ADHD or something similar.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emily Fox Seaton View Post
I will say that everyone I know who has gone to the doctor for ADHD has then be diagnosed with it.

But from my point of view you are just normal. I also daydream a lot and I can go an entire weekend without doing chores I would much prefer to play on the internet. Plus I hate the way they are the same chores weekly.

I need to take frequent breaks at work as I get bored and need something to "stimulate" me intellectually.

Personally I think it is too much work. It is as if I have only a certain amount of space in my head and if you push more into my head than I have room for I get distracted and spacey. I day dream and don't do the work because I know I have no real shot and getting it done.

IMHO medical professionals don't have anything but drugs for you and I am not sure the side effects of the drugs are worth it, not to mention the addictive properties.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarknessIsMyFriend View Post
Now, I'm discouraged from going to the mental health center.


Oh well, there is always weed
Do not be discouraged.
sarahsweets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2018, 09:32 PM   #16
DarknessIsMyFriend
Supreme Being
 
DarknessIsMyFriend's Avatar
DarknessIsMyFriend has no updates.
 
Member Since: Aug 2015
Location: Inside my own head.
Posts: 3,006 (SuperPoster!)
My Mood: I think I have ADHD or something similar.

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
3 yr Member
603 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!
Default Re: I think I have ADHD or something similar.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarahsweets View Post
Do not be discouraged.

Well, you make it sound kinda like I will have a hard time getting help.


I really don't need any other difficulties in life ATM.
__________________
The strong do what they will and the weak suffer what they must. This is the way of the world. In the face of a more powerful opponent, I would have no recourse but to suffer. That is why I seek strength.

You either die the hero, or you live long enough to become the villain.
DarknessIsMyFriend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2018, 04:26 AM   #17
sarahsweets
Grand Member
 
sarahsweets's Avatar
sarahsweets Humor is my end game..
 
Member Since: Dec 2018
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 949 (SuperPoster!)
My Mood: I think I have ADHD or something similar.

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
71 hugs
given
Default Re: I think I have ADHD or something similar.

Darkness I didnt mean to make you feel discouraged. I just wanted to share that yes, its not easy but it is possible. Doctors are more discriminate than they used to be which is actually a good thing. I do not know how old you are but in the 90's there were a lot of boys medicated for adhd. Some who needed it and some who didnt. They used to call them "ritalin kids" so I think doctor's being more thorough is a good thing. And yes. doctors are scared of CII substances but not all doctors.
sarahsweets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2018, 12:26 PM   #18
DarknessIsMyFriend
Supreme Being
 
DarknessIsMyFriend's Avatar
DarknessIsMyFriend has no updates.
 
Member Since: Aug 2015
Location: Inside my own head.
Posts: 3,006 (SuperPoster!)
My Mood: I think I have ADHD or something similar.

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
3 yr Member
603 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!
Default Re: I think I have ADHD or something similar.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarahsweets View Post
Darkness I didnt mean to make you feel discouraged. I just wanted to share that yes, its not easy but it is possible. Doctors are more discriminate than they used to be which is actually a good thing. I do not know how old you are but in the 90's there were a lot of boys medicated for adhd. Some who needed it and some who didnt. They used to call them "ritalin kids" so I think doctor's being more thorough is a good thing. And yes. doctors are scared of CII substances but not all doctors.

Well, I do feel discouraged now.


You know why I don't see a therapist? Simple. Too much damn work. Expecting me to open an hour per week of my precious time just to go to a therapist plus time for their stupid homework only to have to wait months or years for results (if they appear at all)? No thanks. The same can be said about antidepressants. Like hell I'm going to put in the work of going to a doctor just to take something that takes 6-8 weeks to do anything.


I only considered the ADHD meds because I was looking for a quick short-term fix so I can get more out of my time for the next few months only so I can succeed with my latest money making scheme and drop out of school. Would need a lot of effort to do so since I would still need to keep my student job until my plans start bearing fruit so to speak so remaining a student is paramount for my ambitions. Once I started succeeding with my plans I would stop taking their crap and start treating my issues my own way.


The whole point to what I'm trying to accomplish is to get out of working so much. I'm not going to go into detail on here but I am working on a way to make as much (or more!) money as working for a full time job with 10-20 hours of work per week max. I hate any type of working with a passion (and that includes working to "help" myself because the mental health system tells me I should) and just want to have fun and live in the moment.


Now I'm beginning to think that it's not worth the trouble to even try. I would be better off just getting high off some dank weed at this point at least weed has helped me in the past.
__________________
The strong do what they will and the weak suffer what they must. This is the way of the world. In the face of a more powerful opponent, I would have no recourse but to suffer. That is why I seek strength.

You either die the hero, or you live long enough to become the villain.
DarknessIsMyFriend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2018, 05:57 AM   #19
sarahsweets
Grand Member
 
sarahsweets's Avatar
sarahsweets Humor is my end game..
 
Member Since: Dec 2018
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 949 (SuperPoster!)
My Mood: I think I have ADHD or something similar.

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
71 hugs
given
Default Re: I think I have ADHD or something similar.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarknessIsMyFriend View Post
Well, I do feel discouraged now.
let me make sure I understand you. By being realistic and honest I discouraged you from trying to help yourself by..perhaps seeing a doctor to confirm your adhd suspicions before just giving you medication? Even though I didnt suggest a therapist per se I discouraged you from trying talk therapy because its too much work for you? You cant spare one hour once a week and possibly 20 additional minutes of dedicated thought about your own issues and your own life in order to promote wellness? You would be willing to take stimulants because hey, its like the movie limitless right? But antidepressants are the big bad wolves?
And at what point in life can you ever get a guarantee about personal results? Even this plan you have to work less and make more money you cant get a guarantee. Many people would hear you say that and assume its like a get rich quick scheme. I am not saying that's what you mean. 6-8 weeks is nothing if you end up feeling better. I'd take 15 minutes of spectacular over a lifetime of nothing special.
Quote:
I only considered the ADHD meds because I was looking for a quick short-term fix so I can get more out of my time for the next few months only so I can succeed with my latest money making scheme and drop out of school. Would need a lot of effort to do so since I would still need to keep my student job until my plans start bearing fruit so to speak so remaining a student is paramount for my ambitions. Once I started succeeding with my plans I would stop taking their crap and start treating my issues my own way.


The whole point to what I'm trying to accomplish is to get out of working so much. I'm not going to go into detail on here but I am working on a way to make as much (or more!) money as working for a full time job with 10-20 hours of work per week max. I hate any type of working with a passion (and that includes working to "help" myself because the mental health system tells me I should) and just want to have fun and live in the moment.


Now I'm beginning to think that it's not worth the trouble to even try. I would be better off just getting high off some dank weed at this point at least weed has helped me in the past.
Good for you. I am glad that you would rather trivialize the importance of medications *in particular adhd meds which are now becoming an *** pain to get* in order to pull you through a few rough months so you can finish school and get rich. You can say all you want about the "mental health system" but usually the people ranting about the system are the ones that refuse to try it.
And for the record I have zero issues with weed of any kind and do not think it should be illegal. But people that glorify bad weed as if its in the same category and medication that can be life saving gets my fur in a fluff. Seriously if Cannibus is working out so well for you then you have your solution.
__________________
"I carried a watermelon?"

President of the no F's given society.
sarahsweets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2018, 02:57 PM   #20
DarknessIsMyFriend
Supreme Being
 
DarknessIsMyFriend's Avatar
DarknessIsMyFriend has no updates.
 
Member Since: Aug 2015
Location: Inside my own head.
Posts: 3,006 (SuperPoster!)
My Mood: I think I have ADHD or something similar.

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
3 yr Member
603 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!
Default Re: I think I have ADHD or something similar.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarahsweets View Post
let me make sure I understand you. By being realistic and honest I discouraged you from trying to help yourself by..perhaps seeing a doctor to confirm your adhd suspicions before just giving you medication? Even though I didnt suggest a therapist per se I discouraged you from trying talk therapy because its too much work for you? You cant spare one hour once a week and possibly 20 additional minutes of dedicated thought about your own issues and your own life in order to promote wellness? You would be willing to take stimulants because hey, its like the movie limitless right? But antidepressants are the big bad wolves?

I would rather spend that 1 hour and 20 minutes per week playing video games or watching a few episodes of my favorite anime because those are things that are guaranteed to bring me immediate joy instead of being miserable in the short term (having to deal with my issues hurts too damn much) only to have a "chance" at being better way later down the line.


I just hate doctors and mental health professionals in general. I don't trust them at all and had bad experiences with them. I tried to take meds in the past but had a really bad experience (with SSRIs I believe but don't remember) and almost died from one of the pills I was on so I'm scared to take them again. I trust weed more because it doesn't have negative side effects even though it might not work as well some pills the risk isn't worth the reward to me when it comes to most medicine.


I have had **** experiences with therapists. The last one I saw flat out told me she can't help me after seeing her for over 6 months. The one before told me I couldn't see him anymore because I didn't have insurance and the grant I was on wore off. The one before that tried to take my video games away and found out what happens when people try to take one of the few things away that bring me any kind of happiness in this dark and lonely world.


So I've tried both therapy and medication, yet you seem insistent on attacking me on my own thread. What did I do to deserve your judgements anyways?


So yeah, I am sorry that I'm the way I am. I wish I wasn't but I don't have the same resources that you normies do. I don't have people to love me. I don't have hardly any support in my life. I don't have the same skills as other people because my mother didn't give a **** and failed to teach me how to survive in the world as an adult. I have had no help when I needed it the most. So yeah, I have to be this way to survive because I am a disadvantage since I lack the skills/resource the typical normal person has.
__________________
The strong do what they will and the weak suffer what they must. This is the way of the world. In the face of a more powerful opponent, I would have no recourse but to suffer. That is why I seek strength.

You either die the hero, or you live long enough to become the villain.

Last edited by DarknessIsMyFriend; 12-28-2018 at 04:03 PM..
DarknessIsMyFriend is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:34 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® — Copyright © 2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.




advertisement

 

The material on this site is for informational purposes only, and is not a substitute for medical advice,
diagnosis or treatment provided by a qualified health care provider. .
Always consult your doctor or mental health professional before trying anything you read here.

 

HomeAbout UsContact UsPrivacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer
Forums HomeCommunity GuidelinesHelp


 
Helplines and Lifelines