advertisement

Old 09-10-2018, 07:25 PM   #1
kiwi215
kiwi215 has no updates.

2 yr Member
62 hugs
given
Default Neurofeedback?

Has anyone here tried neurofeedback? Did it help? Thanks!
kiwi215 is offline   Reply With Quote
Hugs from:

advertisement
Old 10-31-2018, 01:41 AM   #2
koru_kiwi

koru_kiwi has no updates.

My Mood: Neurofeedback?

5 yr Member
642 hugs
given
Default Re: Neurofeedback?

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwi215 View Post
Has anyone here tried neurofeedback? Did it help? Thanks!
yes and it has been life changing for me wish i would had known about it sooner instead of wasting many years of trying talk therapy alone to over come my developmental trauma and attachment issues.

if you are interested in NFB, i would highly recommend reading Sebern Fishers book "Neurofeedback for the Treatment of Developmental Trauma: Calming the Fear Driven Brain". it was her protocols that i followed when i was doing my NFB.

Sebern Fisher

ETA: Kia Ora from one kiwi to another
Hugs from:
Old 11-05-2018, 05:56 PM   #3
kiwi215
kiwi215 has no updates.

2 yr Member
62 hugs
given

Quote:
Originally Posted by koru_kiwi View Post
yes and it has been life changing for me wish i would had known about it sooner instead of wasting many years of trying talk therapy alone to over come my developmental trauma and attachment issues.

if you are interested in NFB, i would highly recommend reading Sebern Fishers book "Neurofeedback for the Treatment of Developmental Trauma: Calming the Fear Driven Brain". it was her protocols that i followed when i was doing my NFB.

Sebern Fisher

ETA: Kia Ora from one kiwi to another
THANK YOU! I actually started doing neurofeedback last month! I'm hopeful about it And I will look into this book! (And sending you more in private message )
kiwi215 is offline   Reply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Hugs from:
Old 11-06-2018, 12:03 PM   #4
MickeyCheeky
Elder

MickeyCheeky My echo is the only voice coming back

2 yr Member
15.9k hugs
given
PC PoohBah!

Wish you good luck ((((kiwi215))))
MickeyCheeky is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2018, 12:33 AM   #5
zapatoes

zapatoes Mood: good

248 hugs
given

How does it work and is it free of side effects?
zapatoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2018, 10:16 PM   #6
guilloche
Magnate
guilloche has no updates.

3 yr Member
1,488 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!

Kiwi215 - How's the neurofeedback going? Are you noticing any differences?

I think I'm going to be doing remote training! I've tried talking with a couple of local NF providers, but haven't been able to find a good fit (sadly, I think having someone local to hook everything up and monitor your progress is probably ideal). But, I've found someone that I really like so far, who offers remote training. And, I *think* I have confirmation that someone local can do the QEEG for me and send the data to the person that I'm using.

I'm nervous and excited. I probably need to call the local place and triple check that they can export the data in the right format, but they seem to be a bigger center, so I think it'll be fine. I'd use them for training (my T knows the person who runs the center and really likes him) - but they're a bit far for me to drive twice a week (it would be difficult to miss that much work).

Zapatoes - It's worth checking out the Sebern Fisher book that Koru_Kiwi mentioned. The first part of it was a bit dense for me (lots of discussion of brains!) but it was great, and eye-opening.

My understanding of how neurofeedback is something like this:
- As part of normal functioning, our brains are making "brain waves" all the time. I think this can sound a little nuts if you're not familiar with how brains work (I wasn't when I started reading) - it's basically a side effect of how we think. Our neurons work via chemical and electrical signals - the chemicals actually change the electrical charge (by a very tiny amount!) in a neuron, and that's what causes it to fire, and send a message to other neurons. The voltage is incredibly tiny, but when millions of neurons are firing together, it's detectable.

- Neuroscientists (who may now be my favorite people ever!) have figured out (or are figuring out - I don't think this is all completely solved) that some patterns can lead to mental health issues. They've made links with things like anxiety, depression, ADD, etc. Heck, one of the people that I talked to said that she can usually see dissociation when she does an assessment of someone's brain.

- The idea is that, if we can teach the brain to change its pattern of firing (i.e. the brainwaves it makes), we can alleviate some of those issues/symptoms.

- To do that, you have sensors on your scalp that can detect the brainwaves you're making in real time. The person who is helping you sets up a program so that your brain is "rewarded" when it moves towards better brain waves.

So... let's say you want to make more, faster brainwaves in the front of your brain. The sensors will be placed near the front of your head, so they can see what's going on there. You'll be watching a screen. It might be a movie, or it might be a game (but with no controls for you).

When your brain starts to make brainwaves that are a little faster, the movie continues playing, or the game shows you winning (i.e. your rocket might move past other rockets). When your brain moves in the other direction, the movie might slow down, or fade, or get softer... or your rocket starts to fall behind.

*You* don't have to do anything but watch and relax (as far as I know, I haven't done it yet). Your brain is watching the screen, and starts to figure out that when it makes the faster waves, good stuff happens - so it makes more of those.

As you train, the person helping you can adjust the rewards. So, essentially, you move towards the state you want, little by little, with each training session.

If you only train one session, the effects won't likely last. Your brain just continues to go about it's normal daily business. But, if you train over and over, your brain gets better at reaching that state...

One person told me that the real magic happens when you're in the world, and get real-world positive feedback. For example, if you have problems with attention and you're in a class, and your brain bounces in to the state that you trained... and you notice... "hey! I can focus! I understand what's going on! Yay!" - that's more powerful that just doing it on the computer.

I don't know though - that's just what I've been reading. It's worth looking in to. Re: side effects - I've read that there can be side effects, especially when you first start, but they shouldn't last. Basically, you might train something that doesn't quite work for you - and you'll feel it (sometimes when doing the training, in which case you should tell the person you're working with so they can stop and adjust). You might feel tired, or get a headache, or feel anxious. My therapist was trying to learn it at one point, and thinks she had the sensors placed wrong... she said it made her feel SUPER irritable... but again, it should only last for a short period, and when you notice that it's not working, you STOP training that particular spot/frequency, and adjust.

What I liked about Fisher's book was that she believes, "In neurofeedback, if it feels good, it IS good (it is what the brain needs). If it doesn't feel good, it's not what the brain needs (so don't do it)." That makes sense to me.

It sounds so much safer and better to me than medicine, I can't understand why it's not more widely known/used.

Can you tell, I'm excited? (And nervous!)
Old 11-25-2018, 11:14 PM   #7
koru_kiwi

5 yr Member
642 hugs
given

Quote:
Originally Posted by zapatoes View Post
How does it work and is it free of side effects?
what guilloche already said about NFB is pretty spot on. i just wanted to add this link for you (or anyone else who may be interested) to read:

FAQ | Sebern Fisher

in regards to the side effects, i have suffered no ill side effects from doing NFB. if i did have any 'uncomfortable' or odd symptoms (like nausea, muscle twitches, increased nightmares, increased anxiety, feeling flat, etc.) that usually was used as an indicator to help direct the protocol that was being used and that adjustments needed to be made to it (meaning that the reward frequency being targeted was usually too low or too high). many of the uncomfortable symptoms will go when one stops doing the NFB or if there has been an correct adjustment made in the protocol.
Old 11-25-2018, 11:20 PM   #8
koru_kiwi

5 yr Member
642 hugs
given

Quote:
Originally Posted by guilloche View Post
[B]Kiwi215
I think I'm going to be doing remote training! I've tried talking with a couple of local NF providers, but haven't been able to find a good fit (sadly, I think having someone local to hook everything up and monitor your progress is probably ideal). But, I've found someone that I really like so far, who offers remote training. And, I *think* I have confirmation that someone local can do the QEEG for me and send the data to the person that I'm using.
hey guilloche
thanks for the update! that is fantastic that you have found someone to work remotely with you. that is kind of similar to what i did since the practitioner i was working with was a significant drive away and it would have been a struggle to see him as often as needed each week. don't hesitate to PM me if you have any questions and definitly keep me updated on your progress