Psych Central

Go Back   Forums at Psych Central > Mental Health Support > Attachment Disorders

advertisement

Old 02-12-2018, 05:15 PM   #1

purpleLite5 has no updates.

My Mood:

Default Awkward Encounter w/ T

I have been going to therapy off and on for anxiety and depression. My mom is an alcoholic and I've been told that I have some attachment issues from my childhood as well. About 5 years ago I became very attached to my T. I trusted her and believed she could help me. Over time, I realized she didn't understand the attachment or how to help me, and I became bitter and angry because of this. I decided it was best to switch to a different T and to try another approach.
Over the weekend, I was attending an evening function for a charity. I was in a crowded room and turned around and was face to face w/ my old T. It freaked me out, I didn't say anything. I just quickly turned around and walked the other way. Has this ever happened to any of you? I feel silly about it.
purpleLite5 is offline   Reply With Quote

advertisement
Old 02-13-2018, 01:42 PM   #2
Apparition

Skeezyks has no updates.

My Mood:

2 yr Member
10.1k hugs
given
PC PoohBah!
Smile Re: Awkward Encounter w/ T

Many years ago, I saw a school counselor, for a short time, at the college I was attending. I quit after only a few sessions. One day I passed him on the street. I don't really recall for sure... but I suppose I must have smiled & said hello. I seem to recall he did as well. But I do remember that, at the time, it felt awkward. I've quit quite a few therapists since then, over the years. But fortunately I haven't encountered any of them.
"The mind knows right and wrong. Breath makes no distinction. If we concentrate our breath and don't let the mind interfere with it, it remains soft and pure. Who else but a child can do this?" Chiao Hung (1541-1620)
Skeezyks is offline   Reply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Hugs from:
Old 04-12-2018, 08:29 PM   #3
schweppesboy has no updates.

Default Re: Awkward Encounter w/ T

My first therapist I ever had, I went to her for about 3 months when I was 18. It didn't go well, I don't think I liked her very much and I was too uncomfortable to really open up - but I still found myself fantasizing about her taking on a more maternal role in my life. About a year later, I was eating lunch with my actual mother at this cafe, and when she got up to go to the bathroom, I realized I was sitting directly across from my old therapist. She was facing me, too. I had to go the rest of the meal trying to pretend I didn't notice her.
schweppesboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Hugs from:
Old 05-02-2018, 03:30 AM   #4
Elder
Community Liaison

Wild Coyote has no updates.

My Mood:

40.1k hugs
given
PC PoohBah!
Heart Re: Awkward Encounter w/ T

Unexpectedly meeting up with an ex-therapist can feel a bit awkward, for sure.
They should not break confidentiality by saying hello to us, unless we have initiated the interaction.

WC

Kutless - What Faith Can Do
https://youtu.be/u1JBSQMkQEo
Wild Coyote is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2018, 03:32 AM   #5
Elder
Community Liaison

Wild Coyote has no updates.

My Mood:

40.1k hugs
given
PC PoohBah!
Heart Re: Awkward Encounter w/ T

Quote:
Originally Posted by schweppesboy View Post
My first therapist I ever had, I went to her for about 3 months when I was 18. It didn't go well, I don't think I liked her very much and I was too uncomfortable to really open up - but I still found myself fantasizing about her taking on a more maternal role in my life. About a year later, I was eating lunch with my actual mother at this cafe, and when she got up to go to the bathroom, I realized I was sitting directly across from my old therapist. She was facing me, too. I had to go the rest of the meal trying to pretend I didn't notice her.
Hi schweppesboy,

Welcome to PC.

I hope you find the information and the support you may be seeking.
Please make yourself at home. Jump in wherever you feel led to do so.

Your first 5 posts are approved by a moderator before they appear. After 5 approved posts, you will also have access to chatrooms and to the Private Messaging (PM) system.

I hope to see you around the forums.

Wild Coyote

Kutless - What Faith Can Do
https://youtu.be/u1JBSQMkQEo
Wild Coyote is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2018, 10:58 PM   #6

purpleLite5 has no updates.

My Mood:

Default Re: Awkward Encounter w/ T

Quote:
Originally Posted by schweppesboy View Post
Thanks for your response. It made me feel better to know someone else had an awkward encounter with an old therapist. Just wondering--did your mom know it was your therapist? Also, did you say anything to your old T? When it happened to me, I was so surprised I just turned and walked the other way.
purpleLite5 is offline   Reply With Quote