Psych Central

Go Back   Forums at Psych Central > Mental Health Support > Attachment Disorders

advertisement
Unread 08-31-2017, 01:27 AM   #1
PaulyJ has no updates.

My Mood:

9 hugs
given
Default Unrequited love- attachment an anxiety

well this is my 1st post, ive been rejected by a guy but he still wants to remain friends, him an i have been friends for long and only recetly did my feelings grow (its a long story) with him rejected my romantic feelings but still wanting to be friends has made dealing with my emotions very hard, im also very attached to him he is indeed a really good friend and one of my only friends
i must add that this is my 1st "big crush" also my 1st rejection and ontop of that when our friendship started him an i did alot of 1sts together e.g he took my hiking (ive never done that before) also i slept over at his house (ive nevr slept over at another persons house before)
when he doesnt reply to my text messages i freak out an assume the worst that he doesnt want to be friends, even though he has said he wants me in his life (friends only)
PaulyJ is offline   Reply With Quote

advertisement
Unread 09-09-2017, 07:22 PM   #2
Veteran Member

golden_eve Finally.. the weekend.

My Mood:

2 yr Member
569 hugs
given
Default Re: Unrequited love- attachment an anxiety

Sorry you're struggling with this, it's not an easy position to be in when you have feelings, were rejected and are expected to remain platonic friends. A suggestion is to perhaps protect yourself a bit and take some emotional space from him to help you get over your crush. It's hard to be close friends when you have strong feelings for someone. You can even be honest and tell him upfront that you need a little time to get over your feelings and that it's nothing personal against him. (((Hugs))) hope you find some peace and resolution soon.
golden_eve is online now   Reply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Hugs from:
Unread 09-11-2017, 01:55 AM   #3
PaulyJ has no updates.

My Mood:

9 hugs
given

Quote:
Originally Posted by golden_eve View Post
Sorry you're struggling with this, it's not an easy position to be in when you have feelings, were rejected and are expected to remain platonic friends. A suggestion is to perhaps protect yourself a bit and take some emotional space from him to help you get over your crush. It's hard to be close friends when you have strong feelings for someone. You can even be honest and tell him upfront that you need a little time to get over your feelings and that it's nothing personal against him. (((Hugs))) hope you find some peace and resolution soon.

Golden Eve thank you for the Message i really apreciate it
have you ever been in the situation i am in?
PaulyJ is offline   Reply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Hugs from:
Unread 09-11-2017, 05:36 AM   #4
Veteran Member

golden_eve Finally.. the weekend.

My Mood:

2 yr Member
569 hugs
given

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulyJ View Post
Golden Eve thank you for the Message i really apreciate it
have you ever been in the situation i am in?
Yes and no. There was someone I had a huge crush on for a year, I approached him for friendship, and he kind of rejected that, but my crush remained. I kept my distance because he didn't even want friendship with me, but then later, he grew an interest in me. It's a different situation.

I just am imagining what it would be like in your shoes, and I would want to protect my feelings and also get over them. So if it were me, I would want to distance myself emotionally from him and meet other people to help replace my interest in him. Otherwise, you will remain in this predicament, unless someone else of interest comes along.
golden_eve is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-17-2017, 12:14 AM   #5
Veteran Member

glamslam has no updates.

My Mood:

1,597 hugs
given

Quote:
Originally Posted by golden_eve View Post
Hi, PaulyJ. Welcome to the forums! I think eve has some really good advice here...I've been on it both sides in the past. Emotional space is the way to go. Take care of yourself. xo, Glam
glamslam is offline   Reply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Hugs from: