advertisement

Old 10-13-2018, 09:45 PM   #11
rebeka
rebeka is functioning!!

My Mood: Attachment/obsession with strong female figures

127 hugs
given
Confused Re: Attachment/obsession with strong female figures

I'm obsessed with any woman who may be assertive-be it a neighbor a teacher or even a cashier! I dream about them and imagine them hugging me, holding me and whispering positive affirmations into my ear.
I try giving that to myself, but somehow its not the same... what I really need is a mother.
rebeka is offline   Reply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Hugs from:

advertisement
Old 02-23-2019, 05:00 PM   #12
butchar1
butchar1 has no updates.

Default Re: Attachment/obsession with strong female figures

Hi there, i am late into this conversation but reading these have been a breath of fresh for me and so comforting as this has been a huge issue affecting my whole life since being a young child and continues to affect me as an adult in the present day. I have a diagnosis , of bipolar however am very aware that this is a huge factor affecting or at least in conjunction with my moods.
I have been receiving psychotherapy for my attachment issues, i certainly have anxious/preoccupied attachment style and this always shows itself with older women in a position of caring for me, and who i see as inspirations to me. I put these women on
pedistools and feel the need to tell them all the time how much they mean to me and what they have done for me.
Obviously these feelings are very intense and inevitably not them same for the other person, and i know that so i end up fantasising (as a form of self soothing) that they are comforting me like a mother and being a big part of my life like i wanted my own mother to be.
My anxiety is triggered so easily by a lack of contact from an attachment figure, i know that this stems from a fear of abandonment by a mother figure and of course it is all my fault that they have left me because i have pushed them away with my obsessive and intrusive behaviour. Typical behaviour of an anxiously attached person.
I am trying to get better at managing this, self soothing and self care, not needed reassurance from others all the time and being able to look after my inner child etc, but i do keep falling into this pattern of behaviour its affecting the management of my moods and anxiety.
butchar1 is offline   Reply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Hugs from:
Old 02-23-2019, 05:11 PM   #13
butchar1
butchar1 has no updates.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilly26 View Post
omg this sumps up my life I want to talk for long but you just explained my feelings.

With the 'mother-figure' women in my life, I long for cuddles/touches and physical affection- all of which I didn't get from my own mother. It's so insane and intense .... can't even talk to anybody about it.
the emotions that come with it are overwhelming and crushing, because what we long for can never exist from the people we attach ourselves to. its hard to talk about coz you feel weird but you are not
butchar1 is offline   Reply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Hugs from:
Old 02-25-2019, 10:18 AM   #14
MickeyCheeky
Wise Elder

MickeyCheeky My echo is the only voice coming back

2 yr Member
26.8k hugs
given
PC PoohBah!

I'm so sorry you're hurting so much, mrr86 You're definitely not alone in this as this thread has already shown. Lots of people can become attached to fictional characters. You're NOT a freak. It seems like your past has had a big impact on you. Please don't be so hard on yourself. You're a wonderful person who's just struggling. That's normal for a lot of people. I'm glad you're seeing a therapis. I hope things are going ok with him/her. I hope you'll be able to get the help you need and deserve. You deserve to get better and to feel good. You deserve to live a good life like everyone else. Stay strong, mrr86. Stay safe and take care of yourself. I'm so sorry, I know it's hard. I hope things will get better soon for you. Is there anything we can do to help you? Please let us know. Remember that we're here for you if you need it. Feel free to PM me anytime. Let me know if I can do something to help you. Wish you good luck! Let us know how it goes. I'm so sorry you have to deal with this
MickeyCheeky is offline   Reply With Quote
Hugs from:
Old 02-25-2019, 06:41 PM   #15
avlady
Wise Elder
Community Liaison
avlady has no updates.

5 yr Member
28.6k hugs
given
PC PoohBah!