Psych Central

Go Back   Forums at Psych Central > Mental Health Support > Anxiety, Panic and Phobias

advertisement

Old 07-14-2018, 12:53 AM   #1
Child of the Universe

LiteraryLark Live deliberately

My Mood:

8 yr Member
766 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!
Default Is Something Wrong with Me?

I don't like being scared for "no reason" or "for fun", such as watching a scary movie or going to haunted houses or having a loved one jump out at me and scare me when I'm not expecting it. Certain songs scare me, too, if it brings negative thoughts or images of real or imagined triggers from my past. I don't like situations that may be fun for others but for me may present anxiety or fear. I've had so much trauma in my life that I don't like to be given that sense of fear if there is no need for it, like again, why would I watch a scary movie to be scared if I've had real reasons to be fearful of my life.

But I've always been that person to face my fears, and I don't know if it's okay to refuse to be scared if there's no real danger. A scary movie won't threaten my life, and I've sat through many horror movies with my dad and most of them don't scare me at all, but is it normal and is it okay to put my foot down when I just don't want to put myself in a position where I'm scared and have nightmares for the sake of entertainment?

Where do I draw the line? Obviously, if I want to go to a haunted house or watch a scary movie, it's my choice. But what if I'm completely done with that "fake fear", what if I'm tired of being scared for sake of entertainment? I don't want to scare myself as a form of entertainment, but I also feel it contradicts with the attitude that I overcome my fears and face them head on.

Does this make any sense? What should I do?

~Timothy 2:15
LiteraryLark is offline   Reply With Quote
Hugs from:

advertisement
Old 07-14-2018, 10:31 AM   #2

grey_aj has no updates.

My Mood:

5 yr Member
72 hugs
given
Default Re: Is Something Wrong with Me?

I am 100% terrified of scary movies and refuse to watch them and I think that's totally okay!

Fun is supposed to be just that... FUN. So if a haunted house or scary movie isn't enjoyable then... don't do it, it's your own precious free time. Not liking scary movies doesn't make you a weak person. It in no way negates the real fears and traumas you've worked so hard to overcome.

- AJ
grey_aj is offline   Reply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Old 07-14-2018, 11:26 AM   #3
Tryingtoheal77 has no updates.

My Mood:

109 hugs
given

That is totally ok, and in my opinion totally normal! Even for people without the traumatic experiences/background you have had. You do not have to put yourself in the those fake fear situations unless YOU want to. For what it's worth, I'm not a fan of scary/jump out at you movies either. Sometimes I even intentionally avoid even somewhat suspenseful movies/books when I know my anxiety is more on edge. Like you said, when we already have enough "real" stuff causing us fear and anxiety, there's no need for you to add more (again, unless you WANT to).

Tryingtoheal77 is offline   Reply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Old 07-14-2018, 01:13 PM   #4
"I'm scarlet inside"

Fharraige "'Cause in my head there's a Greyhound station"

My Mood:

5 yr Member
8,891 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!

I don't like anything scary either. I think it's fine. I don't need the adrenaline rush from that.

BP Type 1, GAD, PTSD, BPD
Trileptal, Neurontin, Viibryd and some other stuff

My poetry and prose
My Flickr Photostream
Fharraige is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2018, 06:50 PM   #5

ShadowGX exists

My Mood:

163 hugs
given

I love scary things, with exception (jump scares bore me, I need psychological thrills). However, I know that's not for everyone. I don't like roller coasters, but lots of people love the thrill of those. Everyone is different.