Psych Central

Go Back   Forums at Psych Central > Mental Health Support > Anxiety, Panic and Phobias

advertisement

Old 01-12-2018, 07:27 AM   #1
existing but not living
Community Liaison
shattered sanity has no updates.

My Mood:

5 yr Member
1,490 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!
Default mild anxiety about female contestants on quiz shows

I know this is probably weird, but...

I have mild anxiety about female contestants going on quiz shows.
it usually works out something like this:

I'll watch the introduction of the quiz show, and see who the contestants are

then, if their's a female contestant on the show, either I'll turn off the quiz and watch something else, or, on a good day, I'll keep it on in the background but do something else.

I don't know why this is, and it's not always.

last week their was a female contestant on the chase, and I was able to watch that without turning it off- I have also watched female contestants play a detective quiz I like

but on high anxiety days.. I just can't cope with females on quiz shows.

I even panic
shattered sanity is offline   Reply With Quote
Hugs from:

advertisement
Old 01-12-2018, 12:41 PM   #2
Apparition

Skeezyks has no updates.

My Mood:

2 yr Member
10.1k hugs
given
PC PoohBah!
Smile Re: mild anxiety about female contestants on quiz shows

Thanks for sharing this. It is interesting how caught up we can become in TV programs. I was severely bullied throughout high school. And to this day, I have great difficulty watching any program that involves someone being bullied or threatened in any way. Programs that involve hostage-taking are an absolute don't-watch for me.

On the other hand, one of the things I've struggled with my entire life is gender identity disorder. There's one program in the "Inspector Lewis" series, shown on our local public television station, that concerns a character who was a male-to-female transsexual. As it turns out, that character is the villain in the program. Still... I love watching that segment every time it is re-played.
"The mind knows right and wrong. Breath makes no distinction. If we concentrate our breath and don't let the mind interfere with it, it remains soft and pure. Who else but a child can do this?" Chiao Hung (1541-1620)
Skeezyks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2018, 03:01 PM   #3
Wise Elder

justafriend306 a mother, girlfriend, friend

2 yr Member
575 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!
Default Re: mild anxiety about female contestants on quiz shows

I am happy to hear you turn off the show.

You have indicated a problem with female contestants and your comfort zone. I wonder if you also have a problem with quiz shows themselves. Can you find an alternative? Just don't watch them in the first place.

I have my own problem with any kind of reality tv programming. I just can't bear to see people behave badly and humiliate themselves publicly. So I don't even try to watch them. I turn the tv off instead.
justafriend306 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2018, 03:10 AM   #4
existing but not living
Community Liaison

My Mood:

5 yr Member
1,490 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!

Quote:
Originally Posted by justafriend306 View Post
I am happy to hear you turn off the show.

You have indicated a problem with female contestants and your comfort zone. I wonder if you also have a problem with quiz shows themselves. Can you find an alternative? Just don't watch them in the first place.

I have my own problem with any kind of reality tv programming. I just can't bear to see people behave badly and humiliate themselves publicly. So I don't even try to watch them. I turn the tv off instead.

I can't not watch quiz shows.

I love quiz shows. their is a channel over here that broadcasts quiz shows 24-7, and I have to watch that at least for a couple of hours a day

and I love playing my online quiz too!

I know you meant well though.

(((((hugs))))
Old 01-13-2018, 03:13 AM   #5
existing but not living
Community Liaison

My Mood:

5 yr Member
1,490 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skeezyks View Post
Thanks for sharing this. It is interesting how caught up we can become in TV programs. I was severely bullied throughout high school. And to this day, I have great difficulty watching any program that involves someone being bullied or threatened in any way. Programs that involve hostage-taking are an absolute don't-watch for me.

On the other hand, one of the things I've struggled with my entire life is gender identity disorder. There's one program in the "Inspector Lewis" series, shown on our local public television station, that concerns a character who was a male-to-female transsexual. As it turns out, that character is the villain in the program. Still... I love watching that segment every time it is re-played.

I know about inspector lewis.

I've not seen that episode though.

are you from america?

it always amazes me when someone posts about a show they watch in america, which we get here too in the UK
Old 01-19-2018, 10:45 AM   #6
existing but not living
Community Liaison

My Mood:

5 yr Member
1,490 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!

I did it again this week.

and you know what was sad?

I really wanted to watch it.

new quiz called the wave, where teams of 2 have to work together to try and win thousands of pounds

the presenter announced, so... today their is a mother and daughter playing the game, and I turned it off

(ugg and I wanted to see it too!)

it's okay, the following night, I tuned in to the wave again and the couple were males so could watch it.