Psych Central

Go Back   Forums at Psych Central > Mental Health Support > Anxiety, Panic and Phobias

advertisement

Old 01-11-2018, 11:11 AM   #1
Minnow has no updates.

My Mood:

Default Rumination Thoughts Help

Can any of you share what tricks/tools you use to distract your Ruminating Thoughts? I'm having a bit of a struggle with mine... I've been reading some things online and came across some things that resonated with me.

"The less we fight against that which is disturbing us, the less disturbing these experiences become"

"The fear of experiencing significant anxiety/depression = Emotional Phobia"

"We feel bad for feeling bad"

What works for you when you start to Ruminate?
Minnow is offline   Reply With Quote
Hugs from:

advertisement
Old 01-11-2018, 01:03 PM   #2
Apparition

Skeezyks has no updates.

My Mood:

2 yr Member
10.1k hugs
given
PC PoohBah!
Wink Re: Rumination Thoughts Help

One thing I do is to practice compassionate abiding. In case you're not familiar with this practice, here's a link to a mental-health-oriented description of the practice:

https://mindsetdoc.wordpress.com/201...e-abiding-101/

The other thing I do is I've learned a few mantra's. And when I begin to ruminate, & find I'm having difficulty stopping, I'll chant these mantras. They're all in languages I don't speak &, personally, I find that to be a plus. If you're not familiar with mantras, YouTube is a great place to find many.
"The mind knows right and wrong. Breath makes no distinction. If we concentrate our breath and don't let the mind interfere with it, it remains soft and pure. Who else but a child can do this?" Chiao Hung (1541-1620)
Skeezyks is online now   Reply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Old 01-11-2018, 01:23 PM   #3
Minnow has no updates.

My Mood:

Default Re: Rumination Thoughts Help

Thanks Skeesyks. I read that link from a post where you recommended it to someone else. That's where the quotes I posted were from.

My worst times are early morning, sometimes an hour or two before I need to get up. Then I worry the whole day will go that way. Ugh! I'll YouTube "mantras". Thanks
Minnow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2018, 03:03 PM   #4
Wise Elder

justafriend306 a mother, girlfriend, friend

2 yr Member
575 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!

This was once a problem.

CBT helped a great deal.

One thing I find makes it worse is to write about my thoughts. No journalling, no blogging.
justafriend306 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2018, 05:42 PM   #5

Dalea has no updates.

My Mood:

217 hugs
given

A therapist one time told me that when I found myself ruminating, to just say 'STOP'. Works better when I am alone or in a car. I am also keeping track by the hour whether anything I fear has happened. So far for about 5 days, I only had one hour where my fear, and it was not a serious one, came true. I am beginning to see that I am wasting a lot of time worrying.
Dalea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2018, 09:05 PM   #6

smallbluefish - x

My Mood:

152 hugs
given
Chat Re: Rumination Thoughts Help

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnow View Post
Can any of you share what tricks/tools you use to distract your Ruminating Thoughts? I'm having a bit of a struggle with mine... I've been reading some things online and came across some things that resonated with me.

"The less we fight against that which is disturbing us, the less disturbing these experiences become"

"The fear of experiencing significant anxiety/depression = Emotional Phobia"

"We feel bad for feeling bad"

What works for you when you start to Ruminate?
I definitely struggle with rumination too. Sometimes I'll try and ask myself questions about the rumination, letting myself form a larger and larger picture around my worries until I have the big picture and the worry doesn't feel so all-encompassing anymore. Unless my rumination has gotten really deep, this works for me because the thing I'm worried about is still there (so I'm not wrong for feeling worried), but it's not the entire world.

e.g. if I'm ruminating on frustration with myself, I'll ask: is it possible to be patient and gentle with yourself? why or why not? if your friend was frustrated with themselves, would you be as harsh with them as you are with yourself? what would you rather be feeling instead of frustration? can you imagine some times you felt that way instead of frustrated? can you imagine some moments where you connected with that feeling?

Sometimes this helps me self-soothe, other times it's literally just a distraction.

That said, I'm still working on this with my counsellor and am definitely not a professional around rumination coping methods. Since we all have different reasons/experiences attached to our ruminations, don't feel you have to try this if you don't think you can do so safely / if you don't think it will beneficial to you!

sending good wishes!!
smallbluefish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2018, 08:40 PM   #7
ken9018 has no updates.

My Mood:

191 hugs
given

I distract myself with hobbies. Video games, movies, anything superhero. Find a go to hobby and do it when the thoughts start circulating about in your head.
ken9018 is offline   Reply With Quote