Psych Central

Go Back   Forums at Psych Central > Mental Health Support > Anxiety, Panic and Phobias

advertisement

Old 01-04-2018, 12:59 PM   #1
Buffy01 has no updates.

My Mood:

839 hugs
given
Trig Fear of dying

I am constantly worry about the world ending or how I would die. It has pretty much taken over my life. I can't sleep and if I do I am having nightmares because of this phobia.
Buffy01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Hugs from:

advertisement
Old 01-05-2018, 01:46 PM   #2
Apparition

Skeezyks has no updates.

My Mood:

2 yr Member
10.1k hugs
given
PC PoohBah!
Smile Re: Fear of dying

"The mind knows right and wrong. Breath makes no distinction. If we concentrate our breath and don't let the mind interfere with it, it remains soft and pure. Who else but a child can do this?" Chiao Hung (1541-1620)
Skeezyks is online now   Reply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Hugs from:
Old 01-05-2018, 04:03 PM   #3
existing but not living
Community Liaison
shattered sanity has no updates.

My Mood:

5 yr Member
1,490 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!
Default Re: Fear of dying

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buffy01 View Post
I am constantly worry about the world ending or how I would die. It has pretty much taken over my life. I can't sleep and if I do I am having nightmares because of this phobia.

it's perfectly normal to have a fear of dying- all of us, at some stage have had (or currently have) that fear

what would it feel like. how will it happen. when will it happen- so many questions.
it is a normal part of life- it happens to all of us at some point.

maybe one thing you could start to do is write a bucket list- things you want to do before you die

that way, you can slowly come to terms with it, and you can also do new and exciting things (which are not Only things you want to do, but they are distraction methods from the fear)

as for the world ending, it is very unlikely it will happen in our time.

it's been suggested by people who predicted things like 2012, and look what happened their- it was all just silly theory (says the person who actually believed it, and was sad when it didn't happen)
shattered sanity is offline   Reply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Hugs from:
Old 01-07-2018, 10:21 AM   #4
LambCotlet has no updates.

My Mood:

I have that fear too. I also worry that anyone from my close family is going to die and how painful it will be. My worry is so big I sometimes find it difficult to sleep, especially when I've had an exhausting day.

In my experience, thinking that dying and family members passing away happens to absolutely everyone, no exceptions, helps. Everyone has to deal with death at some point so the only thing we can do is live our life and not worry about it. It's going to happen sooner or later, so what's the point of worrying about it?
LambCotlet is offline   Reply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Hugs from:
Old 01-08-2018, 01:30 AM   #5
Magnate

xRavenx has no updates.

6,601 hugs
given

I was thinking about this fear literally for hours before I even saw this post up until now, so it really jumped out as something I can relate to completely. This fear somehow became strong around September, but I have also experienced this at age 15, where I became fixated on feeling that I was going to die soon. Now, I am afraid of dying in my sleep and think about it every night. It has made it worse that my former boyfriend died recently, and my best friend died of cancer, and I am quite young to know two people who were closest to me pass away. I obsess over fear of family dying too lately. I think I became obsessed with control.

I am supposed to be asleep now, but I am not, out of fear. Something that I fixate on lately is the risk of my medications causing cardiac problems and thinking something will happen to me if I go to sleep. Nothing seems to be helping. My heart is racing.

I am sorry that you are struggling this too. I wish I had solutions, but I am trying to use coping skills to try to relax and forget about the fear. If you are in therapy, hopefully that can help? I am starting to go for other reasons, but I am beginning to talk about it. I am hoping it will help, at least a little bit. The more I avoid thinking about all this, the better.
Hugs from:
Old 01-12-2018, 06:02 PM   #6

Dalea has no updates.

My Mood:

217 hugs
given

I think about that too when I am not feeling physically well. The only thing I do is practice self care even if it feels odd. I have also tried some exercise, running on a re-bounder, as a therapist once suggested that sometimes that tricks the flight or fight part of the brain in to thinking I am running away from the danger and thus helping to quell some of those panic brain chemicals. I also know that feeling that way keeps me from enjoying those I love and life. Just sometimes the thoughts tend to get a life of their own.
Dalea is offline   Reply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Hugs from:
Old 01-13-2018, 05:03 PM   #7
Buffy01 has no updates.

My Mood:

839 hugs
given
Trig Re: Fear of dying

I am constantly worry about the world would end. I would not be able to live my life before that happen.

Last edited by Buffy01; 01-13-2018 at 05:04 PM.. Reason: I forgot to put the trigger mark on there as a warning
Buffy01 is offline   Reply With Quote