Psych Central

Go Back   Forums at Psych Central > Mental Health Support > Anxiety, Panic and Phobias

advertisement

Old 01-03-2018, 12:15 PM   #1
LambCotlet has no updates.

My Mood:

Default Flight anxiety

Hi guys,

Does anyone have any helpful tips on coping with flight anxiety? I am flying tomorrow and I am starting to get really nervous. I fly regularly as I have to keep up with family (it's a short 3 hour flight) and I've been flying for around 5 years, 3-4 times a year. I was fine in the beginning (I loved my first flight) but in the last year I've started to feel terrible in the plane (and before the flight). I was so horrified the last time we flew, I cried in my boyfriend's arms when we felt a bit of turbulence.

I tried breathing exercises and distracting myself with reading/colouring, but every time I feel a bit of shaking I stop doing whatever I'm doing and I just start to look around and "notice" what's happening. When the turbulence stops, I continue to read and everything is fine.

I really want to overcome this as I feel like a complete nervous wreck ball and I hate that. I don't know if I've got the strength to overcome this and if I do have it, how to find it in myself and put it to good use...

Any tips are greatly appreciated!

Thank you!
LambCotlet is offline   Reply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Hugs from:

advertisement
Old 01-03-2018, 08:51 PM   #2
Apparition

Skeezyks has no updates.

My Mood:

2 yr Member
9,260 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!
Smile Re: Flight anxiety

Hello Lamb: I see this is your first post here on PC. So... welcome to PsychCentral! I hope you find the time you spend here to be of benefit.

Here are links to some articles from PsychCentral's archives that may be of some interest:

https://blogs.psychcentral.com/relat...ng-turbulence/

https://psychcentral.com/lib/9-ways-...ere-right-now/

https://blogs.psychcentral.com/relat...used-approach/

https://psychcentral.com/blog/archiv...ear-of-flying/

https://psychcentral.com/lib/underst...ear-of-flying/

I don't know, of course, if you're here simply seeking advice with regard to this particular concern or if you plan to hang in here with us. However, should you be planning to continue on (we hope you do)... may I suggest you introduce yourself over on PC's New Member Introductions forum? Here's a link:

https://forums.psychcentral.com/new-...introductions/

There's a lot of support that can be available here on PC. The more you post, & reply to other members' posts, the more a part of the community you will become. Plus there are the chat rooms where you'll be able to interact with other PC members in real time (once your first 5 posts have been reviewed & approved.) So please keep posting!
"Confess your hidden faults. Approach what you find repulsive. Help those you think you cannot help. Anything you are attached to, let it go. Go to places that scare you." (Advice, from her teacher, to the Tibetan yogini, Machig Labdrön)

"In other traditions demons are expelled externally. But in my tradition demons are accepted with compassion." Machig Labdrön, Tibet, 11th Century
Skeezyks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2018, 04:22 AM   #3
existing but not living
Community Liaison
shattered sanity has no updates.

My Mood:

5 yr Member
1,454 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!
Default Re: Flight anxiety

if something happened on your flight, the thing you need to remember is that the cabin crew are prepared for it, and they know what to do if it happens.

you know the safety demonstrations at the start of flights?

well, that's why they exist- so the crew can tell the passengers what they could do if something went wrong (and that's why they insist all passengers stop what they are doing to give it full attention)

the chances of something happening on your flight are very, very small.

think about all the flights every day taking off from airports that land successfully at their destination

then think- of those flights, how many do we hear about that have crashed.

most of the time, plains crash because they are either flying through dangerous space (for example above a war zone), or something unexpected happens with the weather while you are in the air (but then pilots will do their best to land at another, closer airport)

turbulence is nothing to be scared of.

turbulence is like really strong wind that shakes the plain a little bit.

many, many successfull flights pass through turbulence- in fact I think I can say with some confidence, that the majority of flights deal with some turbulence anyway

it's a scary part of the flight (like your ears popping), but a normal part.

good luck
shattered sanity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2018, 01:18 PM   #4
Moderation
Moderation has no updates. Edit

My therapist LMFT suggested videos on meditation ... Didn't help me ... but maybe you
Old 01-06-2018, 07:40 AM   #5
BreakForTheLight has no updates.

My Mood:

3 yr Member
51 hugs
given

I've found that I am far more relaxed on a plane when I'm completely exhausted - but that's probably not the best solution worked great for me this morning though! And because I was running a bit late I was more worried over "will I make my flight?" Instead of being anxious over the flight itself, and there was a huge relief when I did make my flight
BreakForTheLight is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2018, 11:17 AM   #6
LambCotlet has no updates.

My Mood:

Thank you all for your replies! The flight was fine in the end, it was very windy when we were landing and the plane shook quite a lot but the most important thing is it landed safely.

I am getting really tired of feeling that way and not being able to deal with my anxiety. I guess after a few more flights I will be completely fed up with my anxiety and stop allowing it to overcome me. I've decided in no way I will let this prevent me from seeing my family/the world.

Of course, I say this now, when my next flight is a few months away... I'll probably feel differently the day before the flight!

Thank you all again for your time!
LambCotlet is offline   Reply With Quote
Hugs from:
Old 01-09-2018, 03:54 PM   #7
existing but not living
Community Liaison
shattered sanity has no updates.

My Mood:

5 yr Member
1,454 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!

I'm so glad your flight was okay!

good for you for actually doing it

((((((hugs))))
shattered sanity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2018, 06:14 PM   #8
Umpulsive has no updates.

My Mood:

21 hugs
given

Quote:
Originally Posted by LambCotlet View Post
Hi guys,

Does anyone have any helpful tips on coping with flight anxiety? I am flying tomorrow and I am starting to get really nervous. I fly regularly as I have to keep up with family (it's a short 3 hour flight) and I've been flying for around 5 years, 3-4 times a year. I was fine in the beginning (I loved my first flight) but in the last year I've started to feel terrible in the plane (and before the flight). I was so horrified the last time we flew, I cried in my boyfriend's arms when we felt a bit of turbulence.

I tried breathing exercises and distracting myself with reading/colouring, but every time I feel a bit of shaking I stop doing whatever I'm doing and I just start to look around and "notice" what's happening. When the turbulence stops, I continue to read and everything is fine.

I really want to overcome this as I feel like a complete nervous wreck ball and I hate that. I don't know if I've got the strength to overcome this and if I do have it, how to find it in myself and put it to good use...

Any tips are greatly appreciated!

Thank you!
Hi LambCotlet,

When you referred to flight and anxiety, I thought you were referring to fight or flight distress response.

But you are literally referring to anxiety before flying.

I do not always remember to, but when do I get worked up and remember, I try to focus on some simple deep breathing, in and out slowly as possible, helps a lot.

Umpulsive
Umpulsive is offline   Reply With Quote