Psych Central

Go Back   Forums at Psych Central > Mental Health Support > Anxiety, Panic and Phobias

advertisement

Old 01-02-2018, 09:56 AM   #1
Blue02 has no updates.

Confused Treatment for phobia?

Anyone have experience with getting treatment for a phobia? I would like to get treatment but don’t know where to turn. My phobia is of doctors (iatrophobia) and I hate how it affects my life. Thank you
Blue02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Hugs from:

advertisement
Old 01-02-2018, 03:20 PM   #2
Apparition

Skeezyks has no updates.

My Mood:

2 yr Member
9,218 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!
Default Re: Treatment for phobia?

Hello Blue: I see this is your first post here on PC. So... welcome to PsychCentral! I hope you find the time you spend here to be of benefit.

Here are links to some articles from PsychCentral's archives that may be of some interest:

https://psychcentral.com/disorders/t...nt-of-phobias/

https://psychcentral.com/disorders/a...bia-treatment/

https://psychcentral.com/lib/facts-about-phobias/

https://psychcentral.com/library/phobias_tx.htm

One other thing that may be of interest... family therapist, Kati Morton, has a video on her YouTube channel with regard to Exposure Therapy. Here's a link to that video:

https://youtu.be/mlJy85EQrCI

I don't know, of course, if you're here simply seeking advice with regard to this particular concern or if you plan to hang in here with us. However, should you be planning to continue on... may I suggest you introduce yourself over on PC's New Member Introductions forum? Here's a link:

https://forums.psychcentral.com/new-...introductions/

There's a lot of support that can be available here on PC. The more you post, & reply to other members' posts, the more a part of the community you will become. Plus there are the chat rooms where you'll be able to interact with other PC members in real time (once your first 5 posts have been reviewed & approved.) So please keep posting!
Old 01-03-2018, 09:02 AM   #3
Wise Elder

justafriend306 a mother, girlfriend, friend

2 yr Member
511 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!

I had CBT (Cognitive Behaviour Therapy) as conducted by a psychiatrist. I gained skills and mechanisms to cope with my anxieties and fears.

One thing that was impacting my life negatively was my fear to go out in public.

In addition to the CBT the psychiatrist used 'exposure' therapy to treat this phobia.

Basically, she directed me to go to the grocery store a half hour later each week. She even met me there and took me for coffee as a reward (and likely to force me to be around people in a busy cafe).

I still have thoughts that people are constantly judging and criticising me but these thoughts have less impact on my decision to leave the house. And, combined with coping mechanisms gained through the CBT, it makes life easier.

Is it all doctors you fear I ask? Or does this pertain only to general practitioners?

If you are able, seek professional mental healthcare.

CBT can be done from the comfort of your own home if a visit is troublesome for you. There is plenty of written material on the subject. Find yourself a good book - preferably a workbook. Most are designed around a 12wk program. It is important you make a commitment to actually do the work.

Exposure therapy. I believe you can actually accomplish this. Perhaps start with a walk by the doctor's office. Next go inside. Initiate then a conversation with the receptionist/assistants. Let them know of your discomfort and ask if it is possible to simply meet with the doctor. At this time be honest about your fear. If they are a good doctor they will take this into account and try to be comforting. They may then schedule a cursory exam before something more in depth.

I hope all works out. Let us know.
justafriend306 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2018, 10:31 AM   #4
Blue02 has no updates.

Quote:
Originally Posted by justafriend306 View Post
I had CBT (Cognitive Behaviour Therapy) as conducted by a psychiatrist. I gained skills and mechanisms to cope with my anxieties and fears.

One thing that was impacting my life negatively was my fear to go out in public.

In addition to the CBT the psychiatrist used 'exposure' therapy to treat this phobia.

Basically, she directed me to go to the grocery store a half hour later each week. She even met me there and took me for coffee as a reward (and likely to force me to be around people in a busy cafe).

I still have thoughts that people are constantly judging and criticising me but these thoughts have less impact on my decision to leave the house. And, combined with coping mechanisms gained through the CBT, it makes life easier.

Is it all doctors you fear I ask? Or does this pertain only to general practitioners?

If you are able, seek professional mental healthcare.

CBT can be done from the comfort of your own home if a visit is troublesome for you. There is plenty of written material on the subject. Find yourself a good book - preferably a workbook. Most are designed around a 12wk program. It is important you make a commitment to actually do the work.

Exposure therapy. I believe you can actually accomplish this. Perhaps start with a walk by the doctor's office. Next go inside. Initiate then a conversation with the receptionist/assistants. Let them know of your discomfort and ask if it is possible to simply meet with the doctor. At this time be honest about your fear. If they are a good doctor they will take this into account and try to be comforting. They may then schedule a cursory exam before something more in depth.

I hope all works out. Let us know.
Thank you. I plan to see a psychiatrist about this. I think that’s something I will be able to handle.
Old 01-08-2018, 07:37 PM   #5
Veteran Member
dlantern has no updates.

7 hugs
given

If you choose to, test for yourself with a trained therapist for treatment of phobia. It can be rewarding especially if it seems a little invaladating to someone else.
dlantern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2018, 11:23 PM   #6
Blue02 has no updates.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlantern View Post
If you choose to, test for yourself with a trained therapist for treatment of phobia. It can be rewarding especially if it seems a little invaladating to someone else.
Thank you. Can I ask what you mean by “invalidating”?