Psych Central

Go Back   Forums at Psych Central > Mental Health Support > Anxiety, Panic and Phobias

advertisement
Unread 09-13-2017, 01:40 PM   #1

Khione has no updates.

3 yr Member
10 hugs
given
Default Pretty extreme anxiety/paranoia linked with horror/thriller films.

I am a movie lover. I adore movies and music and all things creative. But I have to limit myself drastically on the films I can and cannot watch. Same with YouTube videos and such.

I have a list of movies I would love to watch, that are highly rated masterpieces but because of the horror/psychological thriller/supernatural etc elements, I have to avoid them.

Walking around my house after maybe.. 6pm, is borderline traumatic. I stay in my room and going to the bathroom on a night is an ordeal and 99% of the time leaves me out of breath and on the verge of panicking.

I've always been like this. And horror films/thrillers make it ten times worse. I've only watched one horror film in my 20 years and I still have nightmares. And I have seen numerous horror film posters and such, but even the mention of the name of the film sends me into a panic.

I hear the name at lunch time and I will be fine there and then, but I know for a fact that in the evening, it'll pop into my mind forcefully with no prompting what so ever.

I could just avoid these films.. but it's gotten to the point now where I was watching YouTube videos of this guy exploring abandoned places and some had scary elements, but I'm fine with the odd bit of horror background music as long as nothing drastic comes of it.. But my anxiety has been so bad over the last month, I've had to get my friend to skim through the video for me before I watch it just to check. I haven't watched a film in about 3 months because of my anxiety...

It's honestly ruining my life at this point - yeah, that sounds dramatic, but I can't watch films, watching videos is difficult and I have to be careful with music videos even. It's ridiculous and I have no idea how to help or stop it.

I do breathing techniques when I panic and when I walk around the house, I know everything in my mind isn't real.. but it feels it and my physical/instinctual reaction is that it's real. Even though I know logically it isn't. I honestly don't know what to do or try.

advertisement
Unread 09-13-2017, 02:27 PM   #2
existing but not living
Community Liaison
shattered sanity has no updates.

My Mood:

5 yr Member
1,268 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!
Default Re: Pretty extreme anxiety/paranoia linked with horror/thriller films.

do you think that their could be something particular about horror that sets you off?

like for example, you mentioned it happening when you watch guys exploring abandoned places.

so could you be say, freaked out by horror because their are ghosts in it?

or maybe it's just because of the reality of it all.

you watch something and think you know, that could, happen to me- that actually be me in that situation

I can't say.

though I don't enjoy horror, I don't have the affect from it you seem to do.

i'm just replying because I care and want to try to help
shattered sanity is offline   Reply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Unread 09-13-2017, 06:10 PM   #3

Khione has no updates.

3 yr Member
10 hugs
given

Quote:
Originally Posted by shattered sanity View Post
do you think that their could be something particular about horror that sets you off?

like for example, you mentioned it happening when you watch guys exploring abandoned places.

so could you be say, freaked out by horror because their are ghosts in it?

or maybe it's just because of the reality of it all.

you watch something and think you know, that could, happen to me- that actually be me in that situation

I can't say.

though I don't enjoy horror, I don't have the affect from it you seem to do.

i'm just replying because I care and want to try to help
I don't have anything in particular honestly. There are generic things like the supernatural - ghosts/possession stuff etc. I'm not scared of serial killer murderers and psychopath type stuff, but I still couldn't watch a film based around it. I think it's got something to do with suspense and not knowing whats around me - walking away from my bathroom, I get the sense something is behind me etc.

It's frustrating because I love the concept of horror. I love the dark and I'm not consciously afraid of much. But my anxiety takes over and my instinctual reaction is to be scared... I hate it.
Unread 09-17-2017, 05:15 AM   #4
Elder

Jennifer 1967 has no updates.

My Mood:

2 yr Member
13.1k hugs
given
PC PoohBah!

I'm sorry you're having this problem. Well, you may need to accept that horror films are off your radar unless something changes. That fact that you saw a horror movie many years ago and that it is still impacting you says a lot. You could see a therapist to work on this or continue avoiding horror/scary movies.

I wish you the best of luck. Sending big hugs.
Jennifer 1967 is online now   Reply With Quote